CVA Accura MR-X - Load, Gun case, ramrod etc

There seems to be quite a bit of variation in the nominal sizes. Slightly too small and you may be able to knurl with a couple files to make it fit right. Too large and you’ll need an adjustable sizing die to bring it down slightly. Nearly all bullets can be made to work if they are close to the right size.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Update: Got out to finally shoot a few. I didn't have my lead sled with me, so I was just shooting off folded foam from a gun case.
Shot the 330 powerbelt ELR with 80gr weight of BH209, had a group of around 2.5-3"
Same powder with the 290 Hornady bore driver and had a group around 2"(2 were almost touching)
I'm not ruling out the ELR just yet since I didn't have a lead sled
I didn't try the Thor's yet, cause I only bought a 15-pack to try out and didn't want to waste them without a good rest.
The anarchy brake seems like it might be a pain to clean all the holes, but I've got some small pipe cleaners coming to try. Maybe I should remove the brake, before running solvent patches? Any suggestions?

I got a new MRX last year after struggling with an older muzzleloader for a couple season before that and bad luck with the CVA bullets.

My MRX loves the 290 FTXs and 100gr of 209 by volume. I wish some of my centerfires shot that well actually.

After using it on a couple of deer, I'm still not 100% impressed with it. Talking all 100yds and in. Bullet seems to go straight through and doesn't leave much in the way of a blood trail. Actually the last one I shot I would have swore I missed it if it didn't jump up on its hind legs like a horse. There was absolutely no blood for 100yds until I found it piled up in some thick woods. This is the same problem I had the year before with CVA ammo.

I'm no expert in MZ ammo but thinking of trying the Barnes expander HP next year. Most of my shots will be under 100yds so the BC shouldn't matter. Maybe I need to change my shot placement too. I hate to waste meat but ruining a shoulder is better than not finding an animal.

All of my experience is on deer so don't let that detur you from your bullet choice on elk.
It's pretty typical that animals shot with modern inline muzzleloaders don't leave much of a blood trail. That's why shot placement is even more critical with a muzzy. I've killed many deer with 250 gr bullets but for elk I like to stay around 300-350 grs..

I got a new MRX last year after struggling with an older muzzleloader for a couple season before that and bad luck with the CVA bullets.

My MRX loves the 290 FTXs and 100gr of 209 by volume. I wish some of my centerfires shot that well actually.

After using it on a couple of deer, I'm still not 100% impressed with it. Talking all 100yds and in. Bullet seems to go straight through and doesn't leave much in the way of a blood trail. Actually the last one I shot I would have swore I missed it if it didn't jump up on its hind legs like a horse. There was absolutely no blood for 100yds until I found it piled up in some thick woods. This is the same problem I had the year before with CVA ammo.

I'm no expert in MZ ammo but thinking of trying the Barnes expander HP next year. Most of my shots will be under 100yds so the BC shouldn't matter. Maybe I need to change my shot placement too. I hate to waste meat but ruining a shoulder is better than not finding an animal.

All of my experience is on deer so don't let that detur you from your bullet choice on elk.

I've shot close to a dozen deer with the muzzleloader and in some cases the blood trails have been unimpressive others not too bad. It's just the nature of muzzy hunting. Don't expect massive blood trails like with a centerfire rifle. Because of lower velocities at conventional hunting distances (with typical powder charges) most times there is no bullet pass-thru and bleeding is internal. For elk, I prefer 290-350 gr. copper/well bonded jacketed lead bullets that group well out of my Accura V2. For deer, I'm okay with 250-285 grs.. Even with marginal blood trails over the years I've only lost one animal and that was due to a low hit (turns out that somehow the scope got bumped in transit). Hey, if at the end of the day the deer or elk is found dead, the hunter and muzzleloader got the job done. Discipline with good shot placement and getting close as possible wins the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: kjw
OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Update:
Bought a Caldwell bag instead of using leadsled after hearing of issues with them.
Shot the 330 ELR and 300 Thors at 100yds, about 1.75" group with the Thors and 2.5" with the ELR's
Got out a second time and moved out to 200yds(with scope)
all shots 80grns weight bh209
First groups
330 ELR's - had 3 shots within about 3" with one off to the side about 6"
300 Thors - 4 shots, 2 each grouped together about an inch apart with the 2 sub groups about 4-5" apart.
second groups - see pic, Thors about 6-7", ELRs about 4-5"
I need to add a ruler to my bag.
I also shot the Hornady bore drivers at 200, but the group was kind of wild so I'm sticking between the Thors and ELR's

first group.
shots 1.jpg
second groups
shots 2.jpg

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
After being ok with the 80grn weight of bh209 and the powerbelt ELR 330 and Thor 300's, we switched to open sights.
I have the Williams globe with fluorescent dot, but also the pack of inserts.
Started with the floro dot and got it dialed in. The sight is maxed out elevation and right at the bull so i want to order the next higher sight for the rear. The rear sight is the one that came with the gun, not the globe set. I also would rather it a couple inches high at a 100. The aperture that came on the gun rear sight is also smaller than the standard one with the globe sight so we took the screw in part completely out and shot the last few groups like that.
After dialing in, I handed over to the wife. She tried the crosshairs on one group but decided to go with the floro dot. I never shot with the crosshair, but looking thru, I think I prefer the floro, even tho I wanted to have the crosshairs.
Groups with the floro dot were all around 4", the cross hair probably 6-7"
shots3.jpg

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
To try and clarify on the open sigthts. If you order a new MR-X with open sights, plan on ordering the full globe and peep set not just the front globe only. The stock open-sight peep has a smaller aperature and lower on the gun.
I still need to determine the height I need....

bnsafe

WKR
are all the mr x models drilled and tapped? I havnt held one and not much info on the cva site

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
are all the mr x models drilled and tapped? I havnt held one and not much info on the cva site
I don't believe they all are. I have the model PR3223N which is tapped for open sights. If you look at gun broker, some have a front and rear sight and some have only a rail on the rear.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
My daughter was successful on Elk in Colorado with our MR-X. Longer story in the meatpole thread.
It was a 330grain ELR with 80 grains BH209.
The shot was 45 yds, slightly quartering to and hit just behind the front shoulder, stopping at the hide just in front of the rear hind quarter on the opposite side.
There was no blood at the shot sight and we didn't see any as we moved the direction the bull ran. We found him after less than 100yds.
Hopefully we get to try it out on a mule deer next month in NM!
Recovered bullet weighed a 194 grains.
2023-10-12_10-35-10_462.jpeg

2023-09-11_09-24-23_470.jpg