CVA Accura MR-X - Load, Gun case, ramrod etc

CMF

WKR
Picked up a .50 cal Accura MR-X recently. Plan on getting it set up for Colorado elk this year, and/or New Mexico if we could be so lucky. I put an Anarchy break on it and have the Williams globe and peep sight with fiber optic insert and a pack of the other inserts to try out once I get a load dialed with a scope on.

Any new developments on load setups specific to this gun or the LR-X? (not interested in other make/models)
I have some bh209 and pyrodex pellets, plan on hunting and dialing it in with the bh209, but using the pellets to get preliminary setup.
Bullets I have to try so far are:
Powerbelt ELR 330grn
Hornady boredriver 290grn FTX (I want to try the ELD-x, but not out yet)
Thor and Fury starter pack to determine the size, but haven't ordered yet.

The way this gun breaks down small is nice, has anyone found a nice small soft or hard case that will hold it?

How are you carrying or planning to carry the ramrod when hunting?

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
I do t have any input, but do have a question; have you tried to install the globe sight? I was going to buy one, but I thought the website states they wouldn’t work on a MR-X. Thanks and good luck.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
I do t have any input, but do have a question; have you tried to install the globe sight? I was going to buy one, but I thought the website states they wouldn’t work on a MR-X. Thanks and good luck.
No, but I will try tomorrow since you mentioned it. Not sure why it wouldn't, it came with a Williams open sight on it. You might be looking at the model that is set up for a scope, I read a post that it is not drilled for a front sight.
I did notice the Aperture opening is different on the peep sight that came on the gun than the one that came in the complete set.(I ordered one complete set for a TC and just the front globe for my MR-X)

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend weighing out your BH-209 charges for consistency. I did my load development with a scope, then switched back to the Williams open sight. If you don’t have success with that brake, arrowhead rifles makes a nice brake for this rifle as well as accessories. I’m shooting the LR-X.

I used paracord to weave my ramrod to the hip belt of my kifaru pack below my side pouch with reloads. Seemed to work fine.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
I would recommend weighing out your BH-209 charges for consistency. I did my load development with a scope, then switched back to the Williams open sight. If you don’t have success with that brake, arrowhead rifles makes a nice brake for this rifle as well as accessories. I’m shooting the LR-X.

I used paracord to weave my ramrod to the hip belt of my kifaru pack below my side pouch with reloads. Seemed to work fine.
Yea, I've been weighing the bh209 when I was trying to dial an Encore. Did you have trouble with the Anarchy break? I read where people had trouble with the cva, so i went with anarchy.

Do bring a spare ramrod when hunting deep?

Did anyone break a carbon ramrod yet? I just went to try and push a fury bullet from the starter pack and heard a crack coming from the rod on the upper end near the palm knob.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I never shot the anarchy brake. I sold it, noticed the lip on the inside would probably not work well with sabots. Two of my friends are shooting the anarchy brake with Thor bullets without issues. Haven’t had an issue with the arrowhead brake and sabots. With my setup.

Iv read these ram rods aren’t the strongest. Arrowhead sells an aftermarket one as well with a starter tip.

Do bring a spare ramrod when hunting deep?

Did anyone break a carbon ramrod yet? I just went to try and push a fury bullet from the starter pack and heard a crack coming from the rod on the upper end near the palm knob.
Personally, I would always have an aluminum ramrod in the truck (and an aluminum take-down ramrod in my pack) if the primary was a collapsible carbon. Way too much to go wrong if that’s the only one you have.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Personally, I would always have an aluminum ramrod in the truck (and an aluminum take-down ramrod in my pack) if the primary was a collapsible carbon. Way too much to go wrong if that’s the only one you have.
Yea that's what I'm thinking. Any recommendations on an aluminum one?

I plan on running the CVA Accura MR-X in colorado this Fall, have any of you had any issues with this rifle in the field?

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I have the LRX and I believe that is a 27” rod. And I have a 2” brake on mine, haven’t had an issue.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
I have the LRX and I believe that is a 27” rod. And I have a 2” brake on mine, haven’t had an issue.
I thought ther LRX was a 30" barrel, plus a 2" break?
I would guess a load takes 3-4" given the storage tube size, but not sure. seems 27 would be short.
I'm glad you mentioned the break, cause I have one too and totally forgot about it. I guess I'll wait til I can measure the other one before I order.
could the rod length on the order page actually be a reference to the barrel length and it's possibly longer? It has options for 26,28,30.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I’m just using the standard CVA fold up rod, haven’t had an issue. And I carry my cleaning rod in my truck with an attachment if I need a back up.

I have the arrowhead breach plug, brake, and powder funnel. What I like with that funnel is I can throw the bullet down the funnel and send it home. Just one less thing to mess with when loading. Worked out nice this year.

Reactions: CMF

SloppyJ

WKR
I got a new MRX last year after struggling with an older muzzleloader for a couple season before that and bad luck with the CVA bullets.

My MRX loves the 290 FTXs and 100gr of 209 by volume. I wish some of my centerfires shot that well actually.

After using it on a couple of deer, I'm still not 100% impressed with it. Talking all 100yds and in. Bullet seems to go straight through and doesn't leave much in the way of a blood trail. Actually the last one I shot I would have swore I missed it if it didn't jump up on its hind legs like a horse. There was absolutely no blood for 100yds until I found it piled up in some thick woods. This is the same problem I had the year before with CVA ammo.

I'm no expert in MZ ammo but thinking of trying the Barnes expander HP next year. Most of my shots will be under 100yds so the BC shouldn't matter. Maybe I need to change my shot placement too. I hate to waste meat but ruining a shoulder is better than not finding an animal.

All of my experience is on deer so don't let that detur you from your bullet choice on elk.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I thought ther LRX was a 30" barrel, plus a 2" break?
I would guess a load takes 3-4" given the storage tube size, but not sure. seems 27 would be short.
I'm glad you mentioned the break, cause I have one too and totally forgot about it. I guess I'll wait til I can measure the other one before I order.
could the rod length on the order page actually be a reference to the barrel length and it's possibly longer? It has options for 26,28,30.
I stand corrected, measured mine and it’s 30”. I was trying to go off internet info. Sorry about that

Yea that's what I'm thinking. Any recommendations on an aluminum one?
Yeah, I buy Spin Jag GI ramrods for all my rifles. One piece custom length rods and a take down Spin Jag G3 for my pack.

As for the length, I like them as long as possible - right to the end of the barrel or brake with the Spin Jag loading tip installed.

Those carbon shock-corded rods are really not very practical. No way to patch a bore or pull a bullet with one. I don’t use them.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
To update:
The Williams globe sight mounted up with no issue, but as mentioned earlier, there may be models that aren't drilled, I'm not sure.

The stock carbon ramrod measures 29". With the Anarchy Brake, I still have around 2" of Rod coming thru the barrel with the breech plug removed, so I'm going to order a 28" aluminum for back up or maybe primary.

Tried the .500 fury test bullet and it felt too tight push past the muzzle.
Tried the .500 Thor bullet and it went thru with a snug consistent pressure end to end.

Not sure what to think about the fury not fitting, unless it got packaged wrong. Maybe I can locate a caliper and check the actual measurement.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
To update:
The Williams globe sight mounted up with no issue, but as mentioned earlier, there may be models that aren't drilled, I'm not sure.

The stock carbon ramrod measures 29". With the Anarchy Brake, I still have around 2" of Rod coming thru the barrel with the breech plug removed, so I'm going to order a 28" aluminum for back up or maybe primary.

Tried the .500 fury test bullet and it felt too tight push past the muzzle.
Tried the .500 Thor bullet and it went thru with a snug consistent pressure end to end.

Not sure what to think about the fury not fitting, unless it got packaged wrong. Maybe I can locate a caliper and check the actual measurement.
Iv had the same issue with my Idaho muzzleloader and bullet sizing packs. The no excuses we’re all to small for my bore, yet the Parker bullets fit great being the “same size”