Archery backpack hunt spare/ back-up equipment

merch

FNG
When heading in for a back pack archery hunt what extra equipment do you guys take in?
Spare release, serving string, broadhead blades, bow multi-tool etc.
What about arrows, a quiver full sufficent or do you throw a couple of stump shooters into the pack some where?
Always want to be prepared for the worst, but when is enough enough.

I usually take a spare release, couple extra broadheads, allen wrench one size for every screw on the bow. Usually just a quiver full of arrows with extra arrows back at the truck.

I tend to go light when backpacking and try and take care of my equipment as best I can so I dont take much extra. I have never had anything like a release fail. If If am going into a good ptarmigan or grouse area I will take a couple judo points in my pack though, and on a recent north slope hunt here in AK I did take a spare bow in the vehicle, but didnt pack it in.

pronghorn

FNG
I carry an extra release in my pack. I will also have an extra sight pin this year, I broke one on a stalk last year. I also keep a portable bow press in my truck.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spare bow and release back at the truck. Allen wrench set with me. Dental floss in case I have to serve in my peep or drop away.....and I can use that on my teeth too! Who'd a thought!

Typically you'll find me with:

Spare release strapped to my pack
Two spare pin fibers
2-3 spare broadheads
approx. 2.5 feet of spare d loop cord ( I run a limbdriver rest currently )
individual allen wrenches like Justin. I only need the ones that go to the bow or my broadheads.
5 feet of 1D serving for peep, stitches, serving, etc

AND

I have a spare bow set-up in the truck

gsjackson

FNG
spare equipment

Thanks to all of you - this is very helpful. I am still pretty new to backcountry bowhunting and these types of issues/topics are very helpful - thanks to all.

G S Jackson
Castle Rock, CO

I will keep a spare release and a multitool in my pack. I will also have a back-up bow and extra arrows in the truck. So far I've only gone to my back-up bow once, and that was more of a confidence thing.

A shoot a recurve so mine is pretty simple; a spare bowstring already set up and shot in, a spare shooting tab, and extra arrows or broadheads and small game heads.

Lawnboi

WKR
A few allen wrenches, some serving material, and an extra release. Id like to add in an extra peep as well. Anything beyond that happens and im going back to get the backup bow. Last thing i would want to do is attempt to re tune my bow in the field.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
So far I've only gone to my back-up bow once, and that was more of a confidence thing.

Oh Gawd.....hopefully you got that all worked out before we head all the way back there this year.

I'll add spare contacts and a set of batteries to this list......and maybe lipbalm. I'll freak if I loose the one I have.

Oh Gawd.....hopefully you got that all worked out before we head all the way back there this year.

Took care of that bow several years ago.;)

The extra batteries are a must. You can also streamline your gear to use the same batteries. Rangefinder, headlamp, and GPS all using AA gives you the opportunity to carry ONE set of extra batteries, plus in a real bind you can rob them from another accessory.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wouldn't recommend leaving your backup bow in the truck if the weather is hot; the limbs can de laminate pretty quick and theft can be an issue as well. Theft can happen in cold weather too:)

B

bearguide

i lost a bow to delamination b/c heat in a truck /hard lesson

vcb

WKR
I carry important allen wrenches/ extra d loop, serving material, carry 6 arrows on the quiver but only 5 have broadheads..sixth is a judo for stumps etc.. I also carry a extra string/cables. Before my string/cables were shot out I changed them. Then this "used" string/ cable set I leave everything on it(peap etc..) and take it with me as a backup. It easy for me though because I shoot a bowtech guardian. I dont need a bow press. If you back out he limb bolts all the way the bow is totally relaxed.

pronghorn

FNG
I carry important allen wrenches/ extra d loop, serving material, carry 6 arrows on the quiver but only 5 have broadheads..sixth is a judo for stumps etc.. I also carry a extra string/cables. Before my string/cables were shot out I changed them. Then this "used" string/ cable set I leave everything on it(peap etc..) and take it with me as a backup. It easy for me though because I shoot a bowtech guardian. I dont need a bow press. If you back out he limb bolts all the way the bow is totally relaxed.

The extra string and cable is good advice. Darrin Cooper did an article in EBJ a few issues back on how to take the pressure off your bow without a bow press. I used to use theis method years ago before I bought a press. It does work very well.