Apple announced satellite comm texting - no more in reach???

That’s what I thought in 2008, but at some point the benefits outweigh the irritation.

I still refuse to buy an apple computer.
Does that satellite messenging and SOS capability come standard with that iPhone and iOS? Or is it an added cost?

I can see if it is just as reliable Inreach and you don't have to have the phone mounted out on your pack for signal (where it would be susceptible to cold weather battery drain) it would be pretty beneficial over an Inreach messenger.

I like how long the battery life of my messenger is, how reliable they are, and that I only pay for it a few months a year. I use my cell phone for mapping.

A cellphone that has the messenging and SOS function and is as reliable would be great. I'm still not jumping into Apple though. I'll probably be an android phone user forever.

Does that satellite messenging and SOS capability come standard with that iPhone and iOS? Or is it an added cost?

I can see if it is just as reliable Inreach and you don't have to have the phone mounted out on your pack for signal (where it would be susceptible to cold weather battery drain) it would be pretty beneficial over an Inreach messenger.

I like how long the battery life of my messenger is, how reliable they are, and that I only pay for it a few months a year. I use my cell phone for mapping.

A cellphone that has the messenging and SOS function and is as reliable would be great. I'm still not jumping into Apple though. I'll probably be an android phone user forever.
No extra cost. Free feature on the newer phones.

Yeh that’s interesting that technically they are saying it’s free for two years after you activate it. But there appears to be no release of a cost plan after that as far as I can tell.

WCB

WKR
That’s what I thought in 2008, but at some point the benefits outweigh the irritation.

I still refuse to buy an apple computer.
I have an Iphone for work (supplied by my employer). I also have my personal cell. I see zero benefit and happily will stay pay extra for an inreach or similar. I honestly do not get the hype of Iphones.

I have to admit, the new apple satellite texting worked really well. I was up in Denali National Park this last weekend, with absolutely no service up on top of some ridges (The whole park past mile 2 has no service anyway...). I was able to find satellite, point the phone, and within 2-3 minutes I was able to both send and receive several messages.
I was skeptical to say the least when I heard of the feature, but after using it, I am thoroughly impressed. Good job Apple. I will pass on the INreach for now.

I’ve been looking forward to the day I can work from my tent during weather days and down time. Sounds like a great way to double the number of trips I’ll be able to do each year! There is still on OFF button if you want to unplug from the world. Give it a try.
The day is here. Get a stralink! I picked up an older v2 dish and router off ebay for a couple 100 bucks.. It all fits in 13 gallon tote and the factory inverter in my 250 has enough power to run it so I don't need a gen or battery bank.

Attachments

• 20240625_184212.jpg
    20240625_184212.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240625_184418.jpg
    20240625_184418.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 9