Anyone run with a daypack?

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone trail run with a daypack? I was looking at some running vests but I would like a pack big enough to put a sleeping bag, tarp, and food in for possible out and back overnight trips. It looks like a lot of the running packs from brands like Salomon and INOV8 have limited capacities in the 800-1400 cubic in. range.

I was wondering if anyone has experience trail running with packs similar to the Osprey Talon 33 or Exos 38?

I'm curious whether or not there is a lot of bounce or shift making them hard to run in? Any other pack suggestions from those who have tried them?

DWinVA

WKR
Of all the reading I've done about running I think the general feeling is running is hard enough on the joints without adding additional weight.

God Bless.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
I used to run with a pack on however my doctor very politely beat me about the head and shoulders until I stopped... Consequently I just either run or go out for pack cardio now...

I just walk as quickly as I can with a 55lb pack on. Running takes a toll on the knees and you'll be needing those after the warranty expires at 50.

OP
M

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
Of all the reading I've done about running I think the general feeling is running is hard enough on the joints without adding additional weight.

God Bless.

Thank you for the blessings!

I'm thinking in terms of carrying 13-16lbs worth of gear, food, water, etc. So not exactly a heavy pack. I'm sure it causes some level of damage, however, I'm not sure how that would compare to backpacking with 60-80 pounds.

It's not something new though, Google "fastpacking"

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Words of experience have replied. Be sure to protect your knees at all costs as you don't want to have to do this along with other methods to do what you love. There are other ways to get a great workout and not beat up your joints. If I could have a do over in life it would be with my knees!

OP
M

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all the advice guys. I do take it into consideration. But the original intent of my post was to ask about gear recommendations, lol.

Look at some of the Kifaru tactical packs...if soldiers wear em, you can bet they are good for running.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Ultimate directions vests work well but are not large, although I think they have a larger one now that is around 25 liters.
You can run with any pack if need be.
I even ran with a Dana long bed one time where I needed to get somewhere else quickly . I've ran with a paradox a few times

Ultimate Direction has fast packing options that you can run with....pM me if you have any issues finding them.

OP
M

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
Ultimate Direction sounds like the company that come up on a number of forums. I see they have a Fastpack 20 liter pack. That's still a little small but maybe I could add a small chest pack like the Zpacks one that someone had suggested. Thanks for the input Kevin and Arrowslinger.

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
Ultimate Direction will be offering a 30 liter Fastpack within the next month. I really like the 20 liter and plan on picking up a 30 as well.

OP
M

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
Ultimate Direction will be offering a 30 liter Fastpack within the next month. I really like the 20 liter and plan on picking up a 30 as well.

Ed T, have you put a lot of miles in with the Fastpack 20? I'm curious what your thoughts are on it? + and -'s? Any issues with chafing or shirts riding up etc. while running? Bounce?

Thanks for the input!

I would like to put my hands on one to take a look at but I think the nearest store that sells it is 2 1/2 hour drive from me.

OP
M

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
EDIT: I think the name Fastpack 30" might be a little deceiving. I found this on their website and it says the 30 will carry 20-23 liters of volume. Whereas the 20 is supposedly 15-23. The twenty looks like it has a roll top that will let you expand higher. I have another pack that can do the same but the part stuffed at the top seems to sway quite a bit.

Does the Fastback 20 do this also when completely full? I wonder if the 30 carries it a little better then expanding it upwards past the suspension.

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
I think the rating is low. The 20 liter seems more like a 25 liter pack and the 30 liter that I saw at the Outdoor Retailer show was very good sized. The UD sales manager had close to 40 lbs of catalogs in his Fastpack 30 at OR and it actually carried well.
I have had about 15 lbs in my 20. Plenty for an overnight or two in warm weather. It carries very well with no bounce and I have experienced no chaffing or riding up issues.
Where I think the 30 will fit in my pack quiver is for colder weather fastpacks where the weight is still around 15 lbs, maybe 18 at the max, but it allows for greater bulk without that 10 lbs of shi* in a 5 lb bag syndrome.
15 to 18 lbs is about the maximum I will carry and actually run.

Hope this helps.
They are really well thought out packs for what they are intended for.