Kifaru: The Missing Link?

EmperorMA

WKR
Does anyone find it interesting that Kifaru, even though they have by far the largest number of pack offerings of any "hunting pack" company," doesn't offer any packs with a load shelf between 38L (22 Mag Gen 2) and 78L (44 Mag) in size?

Considering their daypacks with load shelf run between 31-38L, their multi-day packs run between 78-83L and their expedition packs run between 98-128L, it looks like there is a HUGE hole between the daypacks and the multi-day packs...let's call it the "overnight/weekend packs" space. There are none.

Every other hunting pack company out there hits this space rather hard, even though they do not offer the sheer number of packs that Kifaru does. Why is that?

Does Kifaru's marketing team want you to buy more than one pack so badly that they don't offer the mythical "do it all pack," so they just offer daypacks and 5 days or more packs so there is a clear-cut need for both?" Does Kifaru's brass just not like weekend packs designed for one or two nights out, considering that the vast majority of hunters get out only on weekends? Is this just an oversight from what is normally an insightful company that listens to its consumers? Do consumers not like packs with load shelfs of 40L, 45L, 50L, 55L, 60L, 65L, 70L or 75L?

Based on the way Kifaru sizes their other packs, the logical hole to be filled here is between 45L and 70L. Given the very narrow size size dimensions Kifaru goes with in each space, I'd say this would probably translate to 48-66L.

How cool would a 48L Stryker/Hellbender style pack be? How about a 57L 357 Mag style pack on a load shelf frame? I'd like to see a 65L based on the Reckoning, Hoodlum/Bedlam or Dall/Gnargali.

Personally, a 48L Hellbender or a 53L Bedlam or a 57L Mag w/load shelf would be my huckleberry, as I never stay out more than one night.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
The load shelf on Kifaru packs is awful unless you can get the top of the pack back over the stays, which isn’t likely with a boned in quarter or a large bag of boned out meat. Even then you will need to purchase extra strap to tighten the top of the load so it doesn’t move. When you contact them on how to make it better they recommend putting the meat inside the pack which is what i started doing. Just take a trash bag and put the meat in it or your gear you don’t want to get bloody in the bag and leave the meat in just a game bag. I wouldn’t recommend picking a Kifaru bag just because of the load shelf.

Drenalin

WKR
I think the size range you’re talking about is perfect for some of us, but not for most. It’s big for a daypack, but once you start talking 3+ day trips most guys are looking for something bigger. I assume this is why Kifaru stopped offering the Woodsman bag…it’s a great size for some people, but not enough to make it a really good seller.

Several people have put Exo bags on their Kifaru frames, so that may be an option for you. K3 I know works, haven’t heard how K4 bags would marry up with a Kifaru frame.

I just dont see it being a big enough seller to offer it. Most people say that they need to streamline the pack line as it is. The Hellbender with a med belt pouch is about 40L and I dont believe that includes whatever the volume of the dump pouch might be. Not saying its not perfect for you and some others, but the bags theyve made in that size range didnt sell and got discontinued. The woodsman or a K3 3200 are close to what youre looking for. And the MR Sawtooth/Selway are around that size range, and *might* work on a 22" tactical frame or ride high on a 24" duplex.

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
Stryker XXL - larger main bag and two open ended side pockets for spotter and tripod and two smaller water bottle pockets. Is that too much to ask for?

If they want to create a “new” design instead of having it only buckle to the top- have it go over the top of the frame and use the buckles when it has a load.

I believe the reason for the gap is because they have optimal lids and pockets to accommodate the range of size AND they are not many who only do weekend trips and if they do a larger bag would be necessary to carry out the meat

I find the load shelf on my Kifaru just fine - a Reckoning with Duplex Lite frame. I hiked out three big bucks during our rut here in April and I didn't want for anything at all. A little bit more complicated than my Exo K2 5500, but at the same time, a bit more versatile with strapping down options.

One would expect that if that hole in the market is massive enough, and the demand is high enough, a bag would be offered in that size. Not sure how many people may want a bag in that style of that size? The market seems fairly happy with the Stryker XL style bag that is capable of hauling out huge loads if need be, and then their smaller backpacking-style bag that is capable of several nights in the backcountry (depending on time of year and clothing/food needed, etc).

Obserbations above about the pockets and pouches you can put on a bag are probably on point as well.

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
I find the load shelf on my Kifaru just fine - a Reckoning with Duplex Lite frame. I hiked out three big bucks during our rut here in April and I didn't want for anything at all. A little bit more complicated than my Exo K2 5500, but at the same time, a bit more versatile with strapping down options.

One would expect that if that hole in the market is massive enough, and the demand is high enough, a bag would be offered in that size. Not sure how many people may want a bag in that style of that size? The market seems fairly happy with the Stryker XL style bag that is capable of hauling out huge loads if need be, and then their smaller backpacking-style bag that is capable of several nights in the backcountry (depending on time of year and clothing/food needed, etc).

Obserbations above about the pockets and pouches you can put on a bag are probably on point as well.
It is just strange to me that Stone Glacier's top-selling bag is the Solo at 3600 CI/59L, EXO has its 3200 CI/52 pack as top dog, Seek Outside has the Peregrine at 3500 CI/57L and Mystery Ranch has its top-selling Sawtooth at 2750 CI/45L while Kifaru doesn't really have a load shelf pack in the 45-65L size range, which is both the meat and potatoes for the other companies.

Is it because there is too much competition and they're conceding that space?

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
I found the load shelf on the Stryker works so well that the pack is effectively a much larger pack.
That pack excels as a day pack and as a 5-day pack.
That is precisely the reason I will have the 36L Hellbender compete against the 46L Stone Glacier Approach 2800 and the 59L Exo K4 3600. But to be honest, I really am looking at that 45-55L range as perfect for what I need to do and what I need to have contained in the pack vs outside of it.

Maverick1

WKR
Does anyone find it interesting that Kifaru, even though they have by far the largest number of pack offerings of any "hunting pack" company," doesn't offer any packs with a load shelf between 38L (22 Mag Gen 2) and 78L (44 Mag) in size?

Considering their daypacks with load shelf run between 31-38L, their multi-day packs run between 78-83L and their expedition packs run between 98-128L, it looks like there is a HUGE hole between the daypacks and the multi-day packs...let's call it the "overnight/weekend packs" space. There are none.

Every other hunting pack company out there hits this space rather hard, even though they do not offer the sheer number of packs that Kifaru does. Why is that?

Does Kifaru's marketing team want you to buy more than one pack so badly that they don't offer the mythical "do it all pack," so they just offer daypacks and 5 days or more packs so there is a clear-cut need for both?" Does Kifaru's brass just not like weekend packs designed for one or two nights out, considering that the vast majority of hunters get out only on weekends? Is this just an oversight from what is normally an insightful company that listens to its consumers? Do consumers not like packs with load shelfs of 40L, 45L, 50L, 55L, 60L, 65L, 70L or 75L?

Based on the way Kifaru sizes their other packs, the logical hole to be filled here is between 45L and 70L. Given the very narrow size size dimensions Kifaru goes with in each space, I'd say this would probably translate to 48-66L.

How cool would a 48L Stryker/Hellbender style pack be? How about a 57L 357 Mag style pack on a load shelf frame? I'd like to see a 65L based on the Reckoning, Hoodlum/Bedlam or Dall/Gnargali.

Personally, a 48L Hellbender or a 53L Bedlam or a 57L Mag w/load shelf would be my huckleberry, as I never stay out more than one night.

Any thoughts on this?
It’s called the expandable meat shelf. Before your time. LOL. 2015/2106 vintage. No longer in production. Boo-hoo.

Kifaru meat shelf

Duh

WKR
The load shelf on Kifaru packs is awful unless you can get the top of the pack back over the stays, which isn’t likely with a boned in quarter or a large bag of boned out meat. Even then you will need to purchase extra strap to tighten the top of the load so it doesn’t move. When you contact them on how to make it better they recommend putting the meat inside the pack which is what i started doing. Just take a trash bag and put the meat in it or your gear you don’t want to get bloody in the bag and leave the meat in just a game bag. I wouldn’t recommend picking a Kifaru bag just because of the load shelf.
Not trying to blindly defend the company but here’s two bone in hind quarters in the load shelf, neck meat and trim inside the bag, and a horribly strapped head on the top of a Stryker XL. No extra straps or bags purchased but I do think the grab it or Sherman would help a bunch.

I think the load shelf is pretty decent and haven’t had a issue putting whole mule deer in either.

Attachments

• IMG_4238.jpeg
    IMG_4238.jpeg
    704.7 KB · Views: 107
OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
Not trying to blindly defend the company but here’s two bone in hind quarters in the load shelf, neck meat and trim inside the bag, and a horribly strapped head on the top of a Stryker XL. No extra straps or bags purchased but I do think the grab it or Sherman would help a bunch.

I think the load shelf is pretty decent and haven’t had an issue putting whole mule deer in either.
Dude, better you carrying that than me. That’s a freakin’ LOAD.

I think the load shelf is pretty decent and haven’t had a issue putting whole mule deer in either.
I’m not saying it’s impossible as I have hauled out several elk that way, but I could never figure out a way to stabilize the top without buying extra straps. The last two animals I hauled out I put the meat inside the bag it was much better.

Duh

WKR
I’m not saying it’s impossible as I have hauled out several elk that way, but I could never figure out a way to stabilize the top without buying extra straps. The last two animals I hauled out I put the meat inside the bag it was much better.
Oh I must have misunderstood your original post. Yeah I get what your saying about the top stabilizing now. I was thinking about buying a grab it and seeing how that worked. Probably need to modify it a little bit though.

JNDEER

WKR
I found the load shelf on the Stryker works so well that the pack is effectively a much larger pack.
The height adjustability of that meat shelf is what makes it perfect!! - however if they made that bag a touch bigger and side pockets for spotter and tripod would be the bees neez. I snag my tripod on too much stuff in the side pocket and the spotter ends up taking up a lot of the room inside the main bag.

Reactions: Duh
OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR

Which frame?

I’m looking at the Hellbender and I’m having a feeling that I should get a 26” frame. I’m 6’ tall and have a 20.5” torso.

JNDEER

WKR

For me personally a pack with heavy weight feels better when the meat shelf can actually hold the meat up from the bottom of the frame. Kifaru “meet shelf” bags basically sandwich the meat at the bottom just like EXO packs do. Although this method works- to me the packs feel way better when the shelf holds the meat up higher.

Why most people packed meat in huge Timberline bags had to stuff camp at the bottom of the bag to get the meat up from the bottom- it sits and rides better.

A larger Stryker XL would be perfect- Atleast for me 😎

Duh

WKR
Which frame?

I’m looking at the Hellbender and I’m having a feeling that I should get a 26” frame. I’m 6’ tall and have a 20.5” torso.
The 26” duplex Lite. It’s the only one I’ve tried from them so I have limited knowledge on the others. I’m about the same measurements as you.

The Stryker xl was my only kifaru bag that I really liked, super versatile and an intuitive meat shelf

Their meat shelves on most packs are not intuitive and are a pain to use, I can’t believe they haven’t found a better way, no reason to not have a functional, easy to use meat shelf for any of the top pack companies.