Anyone know an August Hunt? I have leave to burn….Tennessee?

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Am I reading correctly that the CWD early hunt in Tennessee is all weapons allowed on WMAs? I’m assuming that means it will be a circus of hunters and guns…..not hating on that but may not be worth the 8 hour drive if so. Anyone have experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Come roast in coastal California A zone. Small deer and 100F temps. Did I mention the ticks and the poison oak?
Dont forget the Rattle snakes and yellow jackets

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Dont forget the Rattle snakes and yellow jackets

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

That's the way to close the sale, buddy! :ROFLMAO: We also neglected to mention expensive, non-lead ammunition requirements and the always tantalizing possibility of stumbling into an illegal dope grow.

LostArra

WKR
This 8-15 in the low country bring ur thermocel and frozen water bottles and come sweat out the opener with rest of us. It's bucks only with rifle till Sept..hogs are always fair game.
I just got back from Edisto and I was thinking about how early the SC deer season starts. Wow. I can't imagine hunting in that heat and humidity. I'm sure I would do it if I lived there though just to try and kill a velvet buck.

I just got back from Edisto and I was thinking about how early the SC deer season starts. Wow. I can't imagine hunting in that heat and humidity. I'm sure I would do it if I lived there though just to try and kill a velvet buck.
I have killed a few velvet bucks...I usually go to the stand with 2 thermocells and at least 2 frozen bottles of water...I keep the frozen water bottles under my arm pits till they thaw by then my water bottle is empty so I usually drink those too...luckily we have storms/clouds most evenings this time of year so the cloud cover is much appreciated...its ruff when it's 95 degrees 80% humidity and full sun.

PSA The entire state doesnt have 8-15 opener. Zone 3 is archery/gun opener 8-15, zone 4 is archery only 8-15.

Lol just know they are a pain to take care of I got lucky mine fit in a small freezer I just left it in there for 9 months I think it was and it freeze dries it it’s still in my dads garage over 10 years later in relatively good shape I spray it with permethrin from time to time it’s held well but it’s had some damage from the years I heard having a real taxidermist do them is expensive.

I live in SC and have no desire to sweat in a deer stand to shoot a 150 lb buck. Just not my cup of tea.

I'd go fishing. If you're already in New Orleans, I'd spend a few days in Venice.

Lol just know they are a pain to take care of I got lucky mine fit in a small freezer I just left it in there for 9 months I think it was and it freeze dries it it’s still in my dads garage over 10 years later in relatively good shape I spray it with permethrin from time to time it’s held well but it’s had some damage from the years I heard having a real taxidermist do them is expensive.
Velvalock is your friend.

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Thanks all! Arkansas bear is a great idea, thanks!

I hunt the CWD unit in TN and it is open to all weapons on private land I am unsure about the public land. The circus is virtually small due to the hot weather. Most of the people I know do not hunt the September archery opener much less the August velvet buck, too hot too buggy. Thermocell with extra cartridges will save your life as a few others have mentioned. Cottonmouths also keep some out of the woods. Also of note, the last I checked some of the counties recently added to the CWD unit do not fall under the same weapons regs as the rest namely Hardin Co. and 1 or 2 others. Hope this helps.

FLS

WKR
You pick your evenings, sit in the shade, and hopefully there is a breeze. A thunderstorm about an hour before dark that drops the temps really gets them moving. I like early season, we have a lot of ag and the deer are very predictable. I’ve killed a lot of deer wearing shorts, a Columbia fishing shirt, and a pair rubber boots with the tops rolled down. Thermacells were a game changer.

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Yeah I wish I could have made it up there for that, I recently bought a “snake slayer” little derringer 410 shot shell pistol and feel a lot more confident hunting during snake season. That and a trekking pole to get all the damn banana spider webs out of my path. Thanks again for all the pointers! Headed out west back home for a week of archery deer soon, can’t wait for the escape from humidity haha

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
I hunt the CWD unit in TN and it is open to all weapons on private land I am unsure about the public land. The circus is virtually small due to the hot weather. Most of the people I know do not hunt the September archery opener much less the August velvet buck, too hot too buggy. Thermocell with extra cartridges will save your life as a few others have mentioned. Cottonmouths also keep some out of the woods. Also of note, the last I checked some of the counties recently added to the CWD unit do not fall under the same weapons regs as the rest namely Hardin Co. and 1 or 2 others. Hope this helps.

Thanks!