Anyone here deal with back pain???

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't read this whole thread but had back pain from say my teens on and off. When I got in my 30's, I finally went to a chiro. My spine is fused to my hip on the left, I have an extra Sacral vertebrae and they are wider than normal. My hips get out of alignment in two different ways, mostly AC joint issues. I'm 52 now and the last say 10 years my back has felt better than my entire life. Always have worked out, strong core, not overweight, have abs. Number one thing has been getting strong in DL and squat, rolling back on a medicine ball, and occasionally doing this thing with pushing in on a yoga block with my knees and out with a jump rope around my knees. Rip and others talk about getting strong in DL helps back pain, and it has really helped me.

dtrkyman

WKR
Stretching my hamstrings and psoas relieve lower back pain for me, though mine is minor.

A lot of back problems start in the front!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
This is an old thread and I haven't gone through all of it but I'm sure it's been mentioned.. Chiropractors are not doctors, they do not go to med school, they can crack your back and give you temporary relief but there is no science behind it. Just look up on the internet how it started and who started it..

Strength training/weights are going to be what cures most back pain, sure there is the occasional disc issue or nerve issue due to an accident or whatever but n general most of it starts with a weak core and grows over time from there. Join a gym and get a persona trainer, your money will be better spent than with a chiropractor.

*zap*

WKR
I use kettlebells almost every morning to do rdl's. Hold the kb's in either hand and rear of the legs as far as possible. Keep chest up/shoulders back/core engaged/lower back engaged/knees locked and bend forward at the waist as far as possible keeping that position. Usually around the knee is as far as the kb is going down and it may be a lot higher if your just starting. The main thing is the posture...thru the rep, chest up/shoulders back. I start with 8k and go up 12/16 and finish with 45#'s. Sometimes I finish with 12's...its been very good to me the last few weeks that I have been doing it very often.

You will feel the hams stretch and you should have your weight on your heels if your posture is correct.

IME, Chiropractors are a JOKE. Find a good Physical Therapist with a masters degree.

2 bad discs here...back pain for years. Short term- Advil or Motrin.

I've heard "Core" for years and did situps and a bunch of what I THOUGHT were core exercises......

I met a good PT that taught me THE exercises to do. Its your inner core....situps don't do it for those.

So heres a test.
Stand up straight with your best posture

Put your hands on the inside of your hips pushing with your fingertips into your abdomen.

Now pull in your stomach trying to feel the muscles behind your abs.

While holding that do it again pull in your stomach while exhaling hard with a big hard and loud "HUH" exhale.

Now you feel the muscles needed for a strong core. Try walking around with them, breathing, etc....even 'strong' friends don't have well developed inner core...and these are the muscles that keep your spine in line.

The other thing [one of my many 'problems'] is your spine should flex like a chainlink fence. Mine hinges in one spot in my lower back....whatdoyaknow, its the spot where I have the 2 bad discs. So flexibility is another key.

A good Physical therapist and a stretching routine is my prescription. /grin
I agree. Chiropractors are jokes. C’s and D’s in undergrad = D.C., not M.D.

Shaw

FNG
I had a treestand accident in 2009. I broke my neck at the C4 and C5 vertebra. I had surgery immediately to fuse them and wound up with 2 rods, a plate and 8 screws. A few weeks later I started having pain in both legs and it got to the point that both of my feet were going numb. After further tests they found out I had torn my L5-S1 disc in my lower back. I had no other option but to have them fused. Ever since that surgery my lower back hurts me to some degree every day and I get down with my back several times a year.

About the only advice I can give is to do everything you can to avoid surgery. If it’s simply the case of them going in and cleaning up around a disc to relieve pressure on a nerve, it isn’t that bad and you won’t have any lingering side effects from it. If you wind up having a fusion done it’s a long recovery. It may relieve your pain to some degree, but you’ll have back issues from then on.

def90

WKR
Long ago I was suffering from back pain. I tried so many thing like warm press, cold press , yoga. It not worked for me. After advice of one of the my friend I taken one medicine . It started giving relief to me after few days. And finally I got relief from the back pain.

You must try soma medicine for back pain. I have used this medicine so many times during back pain . I found its very good for to get relief from back pain.

Sounds legit..

Kilboars

WKR
b35dd9ab637a6e8c90b36dc38dd3bd95.jpg

I’ve been dealing with Severe back pain for about 40 years since my 20s. Read this guys books and very rarely have issues more. Never had surgery.

About the only advice I can give is to do everything you can to avoid surgery. If it’s simply the case of them going in and cleaning up around a disc to relieve pressure on a nerve, it isn’t that bad and you won’t have any lingering side effects from it. If you wind up having a fusion done it’s a long recovery. It may relieve your pain to some degree, but you’ll have back issues from then on.

This is good advice. A lot of doctors will want to "solve" your problem with surgery, but the recovery from a fusion is long and difficult, and most common back problems are solvable (as this thread demonstrates) with core strength, stretching, etc.

yomav

FNG
So I've had lower back issues in the past but have been seeing a chiropractor regularly and doing strengthening excercises for my back to reduce the chances of any issues while hunting.

I spent most of Monday and Tuesday doing maintenance on my truck and yesterday afternoon my lower back caught and went into major spasms. Immediatley went to the chiro and got on ice and ibupropen, but am sitting here now looking like the hunchback of ND trying to get it to let go. Meanwhile, the rear diff is drained and the cover is off, and I need to button things up from the belt change and still change oil and trans fluid. My plan was to leave this weekend but that is up in the air.

Does anyone have any tricks that might expedite the healing? Maybe a shot (whiskey included), stretch or something to move this along???
Hello. I have been struggling with back pain since November, I have seen several people for course of treatment and nothing is working. Short story below:

Went to Docs, MRI scan (eventually) MRI show L4/5 has slipped resulting in bulging disk, treatment offered = stretching (stretching) and surgery (which they won't offer me)

Went to a chiro - 8 weeks, lots of money, no improvement, not even slightly.

Went to a different chiro (comes highly recommended) too into his climbing to get regular appointments, yet again no improvement.

Went to a few physios and massage therapists - pain eased for a day or so but then back with avengance!

I have tried, resting, ice, stretching, climbing, doing nothing, ...... (the list goes on)

We're now in March and I'm supposed to be going away in May (climbing)

Can anyone help? The pain is getting worse and having knock on effects in the middle of my back, shoulder and neck.

Hello. I have been struggling with back pain since November, I have seen several people for course of treatment and nothing is working. Short story below:

Went to Docs, MRI scan (eventually) MRI show L4/5 has slipped resulting in bulging disk, treatment offered = stretching (stretching) and surgery (which they won't offer me)

Went to a chiro - 8 weeks, lots of money, no improvement, not even slightly.

Went to a different chiro (comes highly recommended) too into his climbing to get regular appointments, yet again no improvement.

Went to a few physios and massage therapists - pain eased for a day or so but then back with avengance!

I have tried, resting, ice, stretching, climbing, doing nothing, ...... (the list goes on)

We're now in March and I'm supposed to be going away in May (climbing)

Can anyone help? The pain is getting worse and having knock on effects in the middle of my back, shoulder and neck.

You need to find out if your spine is under compression or your back muscles are weak.

Generally if you sit all day at a desk.... your low back muscles are weak and you have poor posture which allows the bulging of a disk. If this is the case you have to get active with jogging, yoga and weight training.

Squat University has a bunch of videos that can show you the exercises you need to help fix the weakness

Yoga helps because it increases flexibility AND strength. its not just for hippies and monks.

You need to find out if your spine is under compression or your back muscles are weak.

Generally if you sit all day at a desk.... your low back muscles are weak and you have poor posture which allows the bulging of a disk. If this is the case you have to get active with jogging, yoga and weight training.

Squat University has a bunch of videos that can show you the exercises you need to help fix the weakness

Yoga helps because it increases flexibility AND strength. its not just for hippies and monks.

2nd squat university. Solid stuff for diagnosing movement issues and solving them. He’s an awesome PT. Also check out Dr. Kelly Starrett. His new book called “Built to Move” is a great place to start for a beginner. For more experienced folks, “Becoming a Supple Leopard” is like a pocket physical therapist. Working through the movement diagnostics/protocols in that book has solved several years long issues for me, starting in high school/college athletics. (I have some scoliosis/kyphosis that had caused significant back pain and downstream movement/mobility issues throughout my 20s, despite being in great shape and competing at a high level in organized sports) It’s all about correcting improper movement patterns, which we all have and develop over time. Starrett has some serious bona fides…he’s like a Mr Fix It for many olympians, folks in the special operations community, and pro sports teams.

Last edited:

DuckDogDr

WKR
My lower back “spasmed” same as yours .. doing the exact same thing. Only difference was I had pulled a calf that morning and had previously injured it… that was on a Wednesday pm.. Monday am I was having emergency surgery to decompress my spinal cord ..couldn’t feel my left leg at all… literally.
The previously injured disc had completely ruptured .
Big thing Dr said was improve on core once post op physical therapy was done

Frost1235

FNG
Money I spent on a physical therapist/personal trainer was well worth it for me.
As a few people mentioned, a lot of it was weak core muscles / not "moving" or utilizing the proper muscles when moving.

Add on stress to these errors, and I had huge issues between my shoulder blades and other areas in my back.

You can be like me and Become the bionic man. Im Day 5 in recovery and never been this miserable, grumpy and demoralized.
I didn’t really have an option as I had shattered bones.

Attachments

• 70801600562__03B4B25D-864A-4BF5-AB21-2134C60E2A57.jpeg
    70801600562__03B4B25D-864A-4BF5-AB21-2134C60E2A57.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 17
So I've had lower back issues in the past but have been seeing a chiropractor regularly and doing strengthening excercises for my back to reduce the chances of any issues while hunting.

I spent most of Monday and Tuesday doing maintenance on my truck and yesterday afternoon my lower back caught and went into major spasms. Immediatley went to the chiro and got on ice and ibupropen, but am sitting here now looking like the hunchback of ND trying to get it to let go. Meanwhile, the rear diff is drained and the cover is off, and I need to button things up from the belt change and still change oil and trans fluid. My plan was to leave this weekend but that is up in the air.

Does anyone have any tricks that might expedite the healing? Maybe a shot (whiskey included), stretch or something to move this along???
See pain management dr. Ask about 'RFA' Radial Frequency Ablasion. Basically long very thin needles inserted into the problem nerve and burn into. It is about 1/2" and they grow back. Also my Dr put me on pregabolin. It is an anxiety med but blocks nerve pain. worked very well for me.

Jbogg

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been dealing with two separate back issues for around 40 years, both football related so I have been following this thread with interest.

My lower back would spasm occasionally seemingly for no reason. It’s been six years since the last time it “went out”, but I was twisted to one side for almost 6 weeks with my belly button almost 2” off center. The pain was excruciating. Went to several docs. The muscle relaxers didn’t do much but make me too tired to do much of anything. It finally subsided over time, but I have been diligent about stretching and proper core strengthening ever since. To strengthen the micro stabilizer muscles requires very specific movements, and it’s easy to mistakenly work the big movement muscles without strengthening the small ones that really make a difference.

Starting around three years ago I also started rucking a 35 - 40 lb pack 3x/week year round and that seems to have also helped a lot.

Starting Strength has a some great resources on lifting, and I believe it to be very effective. Most adults will have some type of disc issue at some point in life, don't cede the movement.