Anyone have experience w/ long range fuel tanks?

I have the short bed and it already is a little full- hi-lift jacket, shovel, traction boards and eventually another spare. So probably not the best option for me.

:)

I’d note that if you already carry a bunch of stuff in the bed, an aftermarket metal tank + fuel will further eat into the minimal payload on a Tacoma. Particularly if you also have a canopy or the typical bolt on mods as well, that would at least be a consideration for me.

dtrkyman

WKR
Hitch hauler with gas cans? I have a stowaway I found on craigslist cheap, they are not cheap new but really useful, unless your towing something!

Are you really going to get into a situation will an extra 5-10 gallons won't get you out?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ that’s definitely a cheaper option and 5 gallons might be just enough of a buffer

I’m also looking at possibly getting a rear bumper with a swing out spare (I want two full size spares); the ones I’ve seen have optional gas or water holders

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
They do make in bed tanks with a regular gas pump that you can wire to a trailer 7 pin connector and plug it into your bumper. It’s harder to find them rated for gasoline and not only for diesel but they are doable.

Makes me feel really lucky to have an under bed 53 gallon tank and an 85 gallon reserve tank in the bed! Gotta love diesel pickups.

I’m currently looking at gas options for my Jeep and it seems that fancy versions of gas cans with creative mounting solutions are quite popular. I’m sure there is something similar for the Toyotas.

11boo

WKR
Got an email today from an off road outfit, was going to delete it as I'm not really looking for anything BUT they had an ad for aftermarket long range fuel tanks. All aluminum construction, so should be sturdy—for my Tacoma it's 33 gallons vs 21 for oe, substantially more.

I've just started planning a long trip through Canada and touring a chunk of Alaska, was thinking that extra capacity could come in handy.

They aren't giving them away ($2500) but if they actually work well (like stock) thought it just might be worth doing.

They make them for almost all makes/models so thinking someone might have some firsthand experience with one.

Thanks
Mike
Did Tacoma have different size tanks? Like could a junkyard take off be swapped in?

yfarm

WKR
Try posting in the tacoma section of expedition portal forum. Commonly mentioned by users in NA and Australia.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

• Built under special permit issued by U.S. Dept of Transportation for legal use with gas, diesel, methanol, kerosene, aviation fuel and other liquids
If you use this with a topper everything inside will smell like gas. That's the problem with these type tanks is that they have to vent vapors when the liquid gets warm to minimize expansion to the tank itself.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did Tacoma have different size tanks? Like could a junkyard take off be swapped in?

Nope- would be a slick option though :)

Yeah I’ve got a soft topper that’ll I sleep under sometimes, so no bueno on gas in the bed

Had one more thought- maybe a roof rack vs bumper- mount a full sized spare and a gerry can (or two)

BigAl!

WKR
I’ve got an LRA (Long Range America) 46 gallon tank for my Tundra. I’ve had it for 4 years now with no issues. Money well spent.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You don't need it in Canada or Alaska. I've made the drive through Canada multiple times in my Tacoma, to include taking less traveled routs than the Alcan and never came close to running out, even in winter when some stations are closed. Same with driving up to Deadhorse. I do carry two 5 gallon Jerry cans, I have never needed them, but it is comforting to have.

The larger tank will effect load balance on the truck as well. Spend your money on other things. Wavian cans are cheap in comparison, and can be used for a lot of other things, and stay with you after replacing the vehicle, or if you switch to another vehicle, and are easier if you need to help someone else who did run out of gas.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If I was spending $2500 on a Tacoma for an Alaska trip a bed cap with roof rack (cross bars and a Yakima basket is what I have) would be what I would get. If you already have that, then a bumper with winch (I have never needed that, but could be useful) or upgraded suspension would be next on my list with both being equal based on your desire.

New tires, and a new spare to match would by high on my list. I don't carry a second spare, but not a bad idea.

For the short bed, a roof rack is really nice. Get heavy tubs that seal, and strap them on it, also a great place for an ice chest if you don't need to get into it all the time.

Last edited:

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I looked into one for my Land Cruiser. I found that they work real well. I just decided for the times I actually need it I can carry a 5 gallon Scepter can. I can buy a lot of overpriced fuel before I come out ahead with the bigger tank. I travel a lot in the Western states and range is normally not a problem if you try not to pass a gas station. For me it was for convenience going West of here on IH10, they seem to gouge you out there.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Had a 1980 3/4 ton Chevy 4×4. It had a 4:10 rear end. It only got 8mpg just sitting in the driveway! LOL!

I simply went down to Tractor 🚜 Supply and bought a 50 gallon (?) transfer tank.
I mounted it in the bed. Doubled the range of the truck. Rigged up a valve to swap tanks inside the cab.

1) fuel bill doubled $$$$
2) driving around with a firebomb in the bed of my truck
3) my wife and kids drove that truck ☹️

All DIY!
Bolted tank down securely to bed.
Added drain valve and a moisture trap.
Added fuel filter.
It worked great.
Ripped down a 2×4 to a 3/4×3/4 stick and marked it off in one on increments. Like a dipstick! Each inch contained a little over a gallon.
We ran off the factory (30 gal) tank then swapped to the big tank.
Add a lock to the cap. Youngest po'd a classmate that "sugared" the tank. The moisture trap and drain made flushing the tank easy.

Right now, I carry two 30 gallon drums and a transfer hand pump.
Gives me +/- 90 gallons.
Adjusting for expansion, I carry about 85 gallons. At 15 (or more) mpg, I can get about a 1200 mile range.

Prefer the two diesel drums to the 50 gallon gasoline tank!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope- would be a slick option though :)

Yeah I’ve got a soft topper that’ll I sleep under sometimes, so no bueno on gas in the bed

Had one more thought- maybe a roof rack vs bumper- mount a full sized spare and a gerry can (or two)
I hardly go any where I'm not hauling atlest 5 gallons in a fuel can, but I go places where you can run out. I have 6 scepter fuel cans and depending on my travel plan adjust the number I'll bring. Since it's tough to fit an actual large sized cooler in the jeep I'll typicslly use a hitch basket or my trailer and throw the cooler and cans together.

These cans will bulge but leak zero vapors which is handy as I can transport a can in the cab . Downsize is getting the cap off at that point as the can has a bunch of pressure on the cap threads, usually takes a tool like a strap wrench to remove at that point. With the proper nozzle you can empty 5 gallons in couple of minutes.

Unfortunately you can't buy them in this country anymore but if your not ferrying across they are readily available in Canada.
05e4f3e30a134e2b2e3302df0c0a1dbc.jpg
dd4d599de61cd9b56e2219de56fd5124.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Its a pain to get fuel out of a hard-mounted extra fuel tank if you need some extra for a generator or to fuel anything else. I've been happy with steel marine jump tanks for small boats. You can gravity feed once you pump the squeeze ball a few times. It takes longer but its portable and not tied to the rig. You can also get fittings to plug it directly to a genset. You can't plug your pickup into a generator very easy.-WW

I took out the factory 36 g fuel tank in my 2022 Ford super duty diesel and installed an after market 60 gallon tank. simple bolt in process that also used the factory skid plates etc. Then I added another 60 gallon transfer tank in the bed for a total fuel payload of 120 gallons. I too am planning a long drive to Alaska and want to have the peace of mind knowing that I can drive a long long way before needing any.