Anyone fed up with Audiobooks?

grfox92

WKR
I've had Audible for years now. I use my monthly credits to buy books, but over the last year I have a really hard time downloading anything.

The reason being the audio of the books being narrated. I don't want to listen to a book about US Special Forces in the middle east being Narrated by dainty sounding british guy.

If it's not that, it sounds like they recorded the book on an old cassette player and there is a ton of static or interference.

If it's not that, it sounds like a guy with a really weird voice talking through a down comforter into a microphone.

I downloaded a handful of books without listening to a sample first and I wasted my money because I can't listen to them, it's literally unbearable.

A good example would be SOG by John Plaster, go listen to a sample of that book if what I'm talking about is lost on you. Who recorded that book and thought, " this is going to be a pleasurable listening experience!"

I'm canceling my membership for now. Curious if anyone else experiences the same thing? Or am I alone?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Audible will probably refund you. I stopped that subscription after I figured out how easy it was to do audiobooks through my library.
You are able to download them into your phone from your public library?

LostArra

WKR
You can return Audible books in your account. It’s instant and you get your credit back. Even if you’ve listened to it. I haven’t done it in awhile, so I’m assuming it’s still possible.

This is true. Very simple to get a refund.

I do understand your complaint about narrator. I returned Rinella's American Buffalo book in it's original format because the narrator was terrible. When Rinella got the rights back he narrated it and it's terrific.

I have a gift subscription that I probably won't renew because I also use the library now. I also choose books based on the narrator. Will Patton is a great one for any book.

It's not a hunting/Navy Seals type book but To Kill A Mockingbird is terrific in audio form and Sissy Spacek won awards for her narration.

You are able to download them into your phone from your public library?

Yup, my public library system supports audio book downloads to your phone. You just have to be reasonably quick about going through it because if someone else’s is in line for the book they don’t let you renew and since it’s digital they can force the return. I can’t speak for all public libraries but there’s a good chance yours will as well. Also super easy to check out e books to whatever e-reader, tablet or app you want to use with my library as well.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I quit audible several years ago for similar reasons. I started using the libby app to download books from my local public library. I got a library "card" from my libraries website and downloaded the app and was able to start checking out books for free right away without ever stepping foot inside the actual library.
Some drawbacks compared to audible:
1) If its a popular book you have to wait your turn to check it out, sometimes that's a month.
2) You don't own the book and once your time is up you don't have access to the audio file unless you check it out again.
At first the wait bothered me, but now I don't mind at all. If the title I want has a wait list I get in line and it forces me to find something else. What started as an inconvenience has turned into a bonus, exposing me to several authors I may never have discovered otherwise. Not owning the title is no problem for me. I never relisten to books and I go through them fast enough so I always done well before the return date.

mrgreen

WKR
I gave up when the narrator in one of my favorite book series pitched his voice to read the dialogue of the female characters. Sounded ridiculous, couldn't finish the book.

Kilboars

WKR
Yes. I cancelled audible last year after returning a bunch of books I didn’t care for.

Now I try to buy audio books individually on google play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Has anyone tried going airplane mode to keep a library audiobook past the due date?
It works for Kindle books from the library.

Has anyone tried going airplane mode to keep a library audiobook past the due date?
It works for Kindle books from the library.
I haven’t, it should work unless the app the audio book is on has a timer that functions independently of internet connection. Putting my phone on airplane mode long enough to finish an audiobook kills other functionality I require from my phone. You could probably do it with an old phone that you don’t use as a phone.

LostArra

WKR
I haven’t, it should work unless the app the audio book is on has a timer that functions independently of internet connection. Putting my phone on airplane mode long enough to finish an audiobook kills other functionality I require from my phone. You could probably do it with an old phone that you don’t use as a phone.
I do have an old phone but I was thinking ipad/ipod/chromebook.
I'm not well versed in technology so this may be a stupid idea. I just know that putting my Kindle in airplane mode works.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I did see that if I cancel my subscription I can still listen to the books that I own. I wasn't aware of the return policy and I think I might capitalize on that as there are several books that I have just never been able to even start.

There was another thread with book recommendations here recently and so many people recommended Empire of the Summer Moon. Luckily that book has a great narrator and I am about to start listening to that.

ODB

WKR
Yes. I am an audiobook snob. Never used audible. Mostly use two library systems I have access to. Or buying a few (and burning them to disc for safekeeping).

the narrator is EVERYTHING in an audiobook. Matching the right reader to a book is like finding the right actor for a role. In fact, it’s identical. They are both performing the book.

am listening to a book on Churchill now and the reader is A+. It’s a giant of a book but very well done.

That’s too bad about the SOG book by John Plaster. If it’s the one I’m remembering I really enjoyed that book. And the guy doing the female voices, I think I know what you’re talking about. That sucked to. I really like the Joe Pickett series by CJ Box.

Free from the Library- overdrive and Libby don’t have to worry about spending a dime. (Other than the taxes you already pay to support your library)

Kilboars

WKR
I will say also that I’m glad some of the books I’ve bought are in audio. Some drag on so much I know I would have never finished it if I had to sit and read it.

Example: extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of crowds.