Anybody planning a Colorado 3rd season cow hunt, list b tag?

a3dhunter

WKR
Been looking at options for a rifle cow hunt during third season and part of me just wants to say the heck with it and go for the extra elk tag during archery season, the other part of me says the third season cow tag gives me something to look forward to after archery season......
anybody else hunt the third season cow tag?

bbrown

WKR
I used to stack up both elk tags during archery but then it was just depressing to hear about everyone still hunting after September. Now I always get a 3rd or 4th rifle tag somewhere if nothing else just to get back out one more time before winter. During the last 5 year structure change the DOW really messed things up for me when they switched a bunch of my old stand by units to list A so it was back to the drawing board. Honestly it was probably a good thing because the hunting was heading down hill but I have still not found a good spot to go back to every year.

brettb

FNG
Steamboat Springs, Colorado, United States
I love getting out there after achery is over. I usually go second season every year for my cow and tag out. Elk season only comes around for a couple months a year, take advantage of as much of it as possible before once again were all sitting around planning and being impatient for the chance to get after em again.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
bbrown, yeah they screwed up a lot with those list A cow tags.
I think all cow tags should be list B.

2012 I was in an area with a lot of elk, but being a pack in hunt the horse rental was $350 plus horse feed and food. A little over $500 seems a bit much for a cow elk for me, also have trouble getting that much time off now.
2013, I tried a different unit and ended up twisting my ankle pretty bad before I found the elk, once I had found them there was no way I could pack one out of there by myself so I had to watch them walk away.

So now I'm looking for another area to try my luck as a weekend warrior since I spend my vacation during archery season.

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
Put in for 3rd rifle season NR draw cow tag, going with a group of 3 to unit 65 for the 1st time this fall. If in-successful will go with OTC bull tag. Any help with unit 65 would be helpful, can only google so much!

Hoot

WKR
the last two years I was hunting OTC archery so I would grab an archery cow tag as well, filled neither! This year I will be in a draw unit, so I will probably buy a second or third season list b tag.