UT cow elk w 1 point or MT cow elk B tag?

fmyth

WKR
Found a Southern UT unit that I can draw a cow tag in with 1 point (first rifle). Have hunted in AZ, CO and WY and have been successful w a few bulls and a cow but its very unlikely I'll draw in those states this year and the freezer is almost empty.

I'm trying to decide between a UT 1 point cow elk tag or a MT cow elk B tag. Looking for input from others who have done one or both hunts. I know I can draw a CO 4th rifle cow tag but don't want to miss another Thanksgiving with my family. I would prefer a rifle hunt in Oct, Nov, Dec or Jan. May consider a UT landowner voucher/tag as a last resort.

Not asking for units/locations just general advice.

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post.

Westhunt

FNG
Found a Southern UT unit that I can draw a cow tag in with 1 point (first rifle). Have hunted in AZ, CO and WY and have been successful w a few bulls and a cow but its very unlikely I'll draw in those states this year and the freezer is almost empty.

I'm trying to decide between a UT 1 point cow elk tag or a MT cow elk B tag. Looking for input from others who have done one or both hunts. I know I can draw a CO 4th rifle cow tag but don't want to miss another Thanksgiving with my family. I would prefer a rifle hunt in Oct, Nov, Dec or Jan. May consider a UT landowner voucher/tag as a last resort.

Not asking for units/locations just general advice.

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post.
I'm in southern UT, not sure which hunt you're looking at but it all depends on the unit and season. Not all hunts are created equal. Have you looked at the harvest success for that particular hunt? You can find it on the hunt planner on the DWR website

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
I'm in southern UT, not sure which hunt you're looking at but it all depends on the unit and season. Not all hunts are created equal. Have you looked at the harvest success for that particular hunt? You can find it on the hunt planner on the DWR website
Manti Oct 8-20. Thanks for the tip on the harvest success numbers I'll look them up.

Westhunt

FNG
Manti is a good unit and has a lot of elk. The only difficulty is that time of year they'll be in the timber and harder to find, plus there are several other hunts going on at the same time. You'll definitely be able to find elk. If you're not familiar with that area just plan on a couple days to poke around and find where they're at.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
Manti is a good unit and has a lot of elk. The only difficulty is that time of year they'll be in the timber and harder to find, plus there are several other hunts going on at the same time. You'll definitely be able to find elk. If you're not familiar with that area just plan on a couple days to poke around and find where they're at.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I camped E of the town of Manti near the 12 Mile Flat Campground last June and did a lot of trail riding with my wife. I was kind of surprised we didn't see any elk but wasn't up too early and there was quite a bit of ATV traffic. Did have a yellow bellied weasel come in to camp which was a first.

Last edited:

Westhunt

FNG
I camped outside of the town of Manti near the 12 Mile Flat Campground last June and did a lot of trail riding with my wife. I was kind of surprised we didn't see any elk but wasn't up too early and there was quite a bit of ATV traffic. Did have a yellow bellied weasel come in to camp which was a first.
I know that area fairly well. If you rode over towards salina creek you'll find elk. They bed in the timber pretty quick in the summer. But they're definitely there

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
I know that area fairly well. If you rode over towards salina creek you'll find elk. They bed in the timber pretty quick in the summer. But they're definitely there
It was a beautiful area to ride and fish. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.