Colorado archery weather

My oldest son and I are thinking about archery hunting Colorado next year. With Christmas coming up, I'd like to get him some gear since this will be his first hunt for something besides whitetail. I've been on several 2nd and 3rd season hunts but never during archery. Could someone help me out with average weather conditions for roughly the middle of September? Or point me in the direction of where to look for that info. Or is that the time of year when you have to pack for 80s and/or 10s?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Had it dump 10 inches on Sept 6 @ 9000 ft, had it be 65 at 12.500ft on Sept 25… really kind of a non starter. Google historical weather for the closest town you want to hunt. Go from there

Hnthrdr

WKR
@camelcluch, @Hnthrdr Do you typically wear non-insulated boots and take warm socks?
Almost never wear insulated boots except for maybe goose hunting in a layout or if it’s sub zero predator hunting or glassing. My legs feet run hot and I hate sweaty feet. Waterproof un-insulated are my go to 95% of the time, especially if I’m walking anywhere, which I do a lot during elk season

OP
R
Almost never wear insulated boots except for maybe goose hunting in a layout or if it’s sub zero predator hunting or glassing. My legs feet run hot and I hate sweaty feet. Waterproof un-insulated are my go to 95% of the time, especially if I’m walking anywhere, which I do a lot during elk season
Thanks for your help.

Non insulated boots and lightweight socks for me. Wouldn’t hurt to pack heavier socks just in case.

Jaquomo

WKR
What hnthrdr said.
Had it dump 10 inches on Sept 6 @ 9000 ft, had it be 65 at 12.500ft on Sept 25… really kind of a non starter. Google historical weather for the closest town you want to hunt. Go from there
We had a 16" snowfall in N. Co / S. WY early in September in 2020. Roads were closed, trees were falling across and blocking them, hunters without chains were stuck in camps. Temps got down in the mid-teens. This year during third week of September I had to winterize my camper in elk camp. It was getting down into the teens every night and everything was freezing up.

Then again, it could be balmy and highs in the 70s, lows in the 40s. Layers are the key. I always take a couple pairs of uninsulated boots, because even the best Goretex-lined boots like Crispis, etc. will get wet if they are saturated all day.

Seth

WKR
As stated, it’s highly variable from year to year. There’s a lot of information here on layering. Think about the type of system you ultimately want, then piece it together. You have time to piece it together on a budget. A good system works for whitetail too.

One early September I went to be one evening to it being 65 degrees and woke up 8 hours later to 25-degree temperatures with the tent in my face because there was 8" of snow on it.

OP
R
What hnthrdr said.

We had a 16" snowfall in N. Co / S. WY early in September in 2020. Roads were closed, trees were falling across and blocking them, hunters without chains were stuck in camps. Temps got down in the mid-teens. This year during third week of September I had to winterize my camper in elk camp. It was getting down into the teens every night and everything was freezing up.

Then again, it could be balmy and highs in the 70s, lows in the 40s. Layers are the key. I always take a couple pairs of uninsulated boots, because even the best Goretex-lined boots like Crispis, etc. will get wet if they are saturated all day.
So basically we would need to pack everything we have just in case.

Gerbdog

WKR
I expect to start the morning below freezing and be in a t-shirt by mid-morning. I wear un-insulated boots with thin wool socks and end up with sweaty feet pretty quick. I bring two hats with me in my pack : a beanie for the mornings and then something with a wider brim for the sun by mid morning. Fingerless gloves are enough for the whole day - thin - wool. Wool pants.

I keep a puffy jacket wadded up in a stuff sack and a rain jacket. The puffy is there if i decide to sit a wallow for some reason, it gets mighty cold sitting in the shade. Rain jacket goes on in the morning to retain a bit of heat when its cold and goes away mid morning - will come out if weather rolls in.

This year where i hunted we had some snow mid September - if you went above treeline there was some snow that stuck around.

I try to pack a warmer set of clothes in the truck if all hell breaks loose like a couple/few years ago when it dumped snow Sep 6.

OP
R
I expect to start the morning below freezing and be in a t-shirt by mid-morning. I wear un-insulated boots with thin wool socks and end up with sweaty feet pretty quick. I bring two hats with me in my pack : a beanie for the mornings and then something with a wider brim for the sun by mid morning. Fingerless gloves are enough for the whole day - thin - wool. Wool pants.

I keep a puffy jacket wadded up in a stuff sack and a rain jacket. The puffy is there if i decide to sit a wallow for some reason, it gets mighty cold sitting in the shade. Rain jacket goes on in the morning to retain a bit of heat when its cold and goes away mid morning - will come out if weather rolls in.

This year where i hunted we had some snow mid September - if you went above treeline there was some snow that stuck around.

I try to pack a warmer set of clothes in the truck if all hell breaks loose like a couple/few years ago when it dumped snow Sep 6.
Thank you. That was very helpful.

I think a layered approach works. No need for insulated boots or super heavy socks. In the event of foul weather your standard kit including puffy would be able to get you back to your truck.

Lighter pants, Sitka Ascent or similar
I backpack with Kuiu 210 merino zip off bottoms for sleeping and for early morning glassing

125 weight merino top as baselayer
Medium weight fleece hoody, Sitka Core Heavyweight or similar

Puffy jacket

Beanie cap and lightweight gloves

I almost never pack a rain jacket because I use a synthetic insulation jacket but you could.

Multiple articles of the baselayer top would be nice. Maybe a second set of pants too. Multiple articles of good socks. Go hunt have fun!

From shorts and t-shirts to everything you brought with and still not enough. That said, you'll most likely be moving a lot so layer appropriately My typical day is merino socks and boots, Prana zions or KUIU attacks, no baselayer, Merino top and a kuiu guide vest. Headgear and gloves as needed. This is 10,000 feet plus and normally the last week of the season.

NW Colorado on Sept 7, 2020 it was 90 that afternoon. The next day it snowed 13 inches in our unit. That was definitely not the normal but it happened. I usually wear a long sleeve merino with a light-medium jacket and it is plenty for first light and last light. Rain jacket for the occasional shower. Plan for the worst and leave it at the truck.