Colorado elk units OTC/limited discussion

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
That time of year when I spend countless hours clicking through regs/units/stats/etc just doing research.. I'm poking around Colorado and notice there are units that are OTC for bull elk rifle seasons 2 and 3, then limited/draw for season 4. I find that a bit curious...what is the logic behind that do you think? My best guess is that its more of a winter range area for those elk so the state limits pressure during that season...any other ideas?

Unit 62 for example... First rifle season is limited/draw for a bull tag or a cow tag, second and third season are OTC for bull, limited/draw for cow, and fourth season is limited/draw for an either sex tag or a cow tag...
First season rifle is 10/14-10/18...you figure that is limited because there still may be a little rutting activity going on?

Anyway, kind of rambling a bit and thinking out loud here. So much to consider when trying to narrow down a hunt..

Last edited:

TXHunt

FNG
I'm applying for 4th season in an area like you describe. I will be hunting private land and the guy I'm leasing from says iit's pretty good odds of drawing a tag in 4th season. I too thought it was odd that 2nd and 3rd were OTC but 4th was draw. From the research I have done in the area I will be at 4th season is a very good hunt as long as the weather holds. I would love to hunt earlier but I take advantage of my son being out of school during the Thanksgiving break and being able to go.

hiker270

WKR
Could be the limited draw for the 4th season could be in a migration area where they want to limit the amount of hunters.

11boo

WKR
Anybody have a guess how hard the grand mesa will be to draw? Either sex bow elk. I need to stay close to home so that’s probably it for me.

Anybody have a guess how hard the grand mesa will be to draw? Either sex bow elk. I need to stay close to home so that’s probably it for me.
You will draw. They will offer a gazillion tags the first couple years so stick with it if you know the area.

Nice. You conveniently left off the 2nd Choice apps - which they all didn’t draw
Serious? Who give a shit about second choice. The guy asked how hard it would be to draw a tag. Looking at the chart I posted, I answered his question. If he wants to hunt, and applies as a first choice, he will draw, along with the other 2000 applicants.

svivian

WKR
Serious? Who give a shit about second choice. The guy asked how hard it would be to draw a tag. Looking at the chart I posted, I answered his question. If he wants to hunt, and applies as a first choice, he will draw, along with the other 2000 applicants.
It would matter if he had points as he would be using them to draw. By applying second choice he could still earn points which is why it would matter

11boo

WKR
It’s a toss up but I bet the zoo will get really good for the rifle seasons
I was up there 2d rifle/cow for the last half of that season, last year.

It was deserted due to this.
53CAA05C-B3D7-4914-8DB9-DC5664F2FBF9.jpeg
I have never seen so few hunters. Or elk, they bailed just before I got there.

cnelk

WKR

Yep. Seriously.
Because 67% of 2nd Choice applicants drew. So it does matter