Any Watch Nerds to point me?

OP
J
It seems I am looking for Unobtainium in a Zelos Swordfish 42mm bronze. Everything is sold out. Nothing on Chrono or Recon. My options? Simply wait n surf?

OP
J
Bronze_Black_NH35_1024x1024.jpg

Tune-up service on the Omega Seamaster (which I push to every 4 or 5 years) is now $500-$700. Just keep that in mind for budget purposes.
I do them for peace of mind every 10 to 15 years. Have yet to have the Omega store or Omega proper say there was a real problem. Daily wore a Seamaster for 20 years that just got a recent service. Nothing to be worried about.

Have a Speedmaster and 2 other Seamasters that are ticking strong without a service yet.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t notice a change in accuracy, but I do notice the reserve dropping. When it falls below 24 hours or so I take them in. Seamaster, Speedmaster, Railmaster, Constellation, and deVille automatics. The Omega Museum watch is an old quartz.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
I mis-spoke. It doesn't go out often, but the Museum is actually a Caliber 625 manual wind. Inherited from my dad, it's a fairly rare design from the 1970s, licensed from Movado.

il_1140xN.912302518_k1rb.jpg

I personally wouldn’t buy a watch that has a blank face but I must say, that is a classy time piece.

wytx

WKR
If you‘re wanting an automatic decide on whether you want dual capability for winding the watch as well. Some movements, like the 7s26 in the Seiko skx007 only allows for movement to wind the watch. You cannot hand wind by turning the crown. Where as others, such as the ETA 2836-2 movement can be wound both ways. Automatics are definitely not set it and forget it watches. They require attention if not worn everyday. And as Wyobohunter stated they have a hard time being accurate. Gaining or losing minutes throughout several days.
Man, what automatics are you all talking about because the higher end ones do not loose that much time, over a year.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
I personally wouldn’t buy a watch that has a blank face but I must say, that is a classy time piece.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure dad only wore it with his tux, and on those occasions knowing where the bar is was more important than knowing what time it is. 😄

Big_O_86

FNG
I like the Garmin Instinct Solar. The Solar portion doesn't really do much unless you leave in direct sun without moving for hours. Its still a smart watch but barely not touch screen. does what you need it to and nothing more. Took a beating on my last hunt and not a scratch on the screen. the app works good.

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
Missed your part about bronze watches. There are a few excellent options:

The Bronze King is the Tudor Black Bay Bronze (I have this watch and LOVE it)... it is a big watch at 43mm. https://www.chrono24.com/tudor/blac...e&query=Tudor+Black+Bay+Bronze&goal_suggest=1

The Bronze Prince is Glycine: https://www.chrono24.com/glycine/bronze--cm18.htm

And Christopher Ward just released some new Bronze options: https://www.christopherward.com/int/new-watches?prefn1=WCaseMaterial&prefv1=Bronze&start=0&sz=12 <---the trident second hand is very cool
Didn’t know about this chrono24 circle of hell that I can’t get out of. You sir, should be flogged. Someone come get me!

It seems I am looking for Unobtainium in a Zelos Swordfish 42mm bronze. Everything is sold out. Nothing on Chrono or Recon. My options? Simply wait n surf?
That might be your best bet. Seems like when I am looking for a specific watch, it is never available and as soon as I move on to something else, one will pop up for sale. I think you picked a fun watch and if the wait gets to be too long, there are a handful of boutiquey (not sure if a real word) companies that have made nice looking bronze divers over the past couple of years.

RedTimber

FNG
Classified Approved
I'm 50. Don't have a watch. Guess I do...Wife gifted me her Garmin Fenix something when she upgraded. But I'd like a real watch. For sure have a budget. Probably top top is $700. $500 more realistic.

I am a knife nerd. It would take me YEARS to dive into watches. More nerdy than Nife Nerds. I like custom scales. And am OCD about my shit matching. Yes...embarassing. But that's where I am finding myself at retirement age.

I want a heavy, robust watch that looks decent but can take every day wear and tear. In a short invesigation I've already learned it's not a watch band, it's a "bracelet". And I am floored there is so much nomenclature around a F'ing watch. Lugs, Bracelets, geeeesh. I'd love a bronze watch with bronze bracelet. But a subdued stainless, Ti or whatever...who knows. Bigger is better. XL hands and large wrist. Seeing that maybe 42mm is where I would end up? Not looking for LumberSexual, Metro svelt watch

Where it's made is a huge deal. Anti China. Anyone but China.

Since I have a budget, where do I even begin?
Zelos
Seiko
Citizen
Vincero
All within your budget.

ETtikka

WKR
It is hard to beat citizen or seiko for a cheap accurate watch NOT made in China , I have an older citizen pro master that only loses about 10 seconds a year, not sure how they make them that accurate

I used to have a local jeweler who was an older fellow that was a former watchmaker and i of course had to ask him, what is the best watch? he said he had rebuilt and repaired all of them, and the older Omegas are the best, in his opinion, and he went into further detail why and it was apparent he enjoyed being a watchmaker and a trustworthy opinion