Any one use a Subaru as a hunting buggy

THunt

FNG
The industrial timberland we deer hunt on absolutely doesn't need a Super-Duty (truck still goes to elk camp). With current local gas prices, I get 4 trips up the hill per $60 fill-up and the deer don't seem to mind at all.

Attachments

• 20220821_185309.jpg
    20220821_185309.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20221002_192403.jpg
    20221002_192403.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 59

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like this thread would deeply appreciate prowling thru r/battlewagon

I drive a Honda element and saw the latest seek one video where they hunt out of an element to be discrete. I found it both offensive and inspiring at the same time. Glad to see other fellas out here loading the harvest into the unconventional vehicles

I used to be impressed with them until I saw one stuck at a trailhead parking lot
on mostly level ground ON the snow. It wasnt sunk, it was just sitting on top of
the snow spinning.
Me and another guy tried to give it a push to help it, even stuck the floor mats under
the spinning tires with no luck. Had some good all season tires but that thing wasnt
moving.
Changed my whole perspective.
They had some sort of issue.

They're incredible in the snow.

I feel like this thread would deeply appreciate prowling thru r/battlewagon

I drive a Honda element and saw the latest seek one video where they hunt out of an element to be discrete. I found it both offensive and inspiring at the same time. Glad to see other fellas out here loading the harvest into the unconventional vehicles

There are a lot of places that being discrete is a good idea- be it from anti hunters or thieves looking for easy to pawn items. Also, sometimes I don't want other hunters to know that I'm hunting a spot. Cars and SUVs without hunting related stickers blends in well, just toss a blanket over the gun case and gear.

J Batt

WKR
F#@% Subaru. I bought a 2008 with 50k miles. Wanted AWD with good MPG. I replaced all the fluids. Drove it for a month. Didn't think to check the oil after only a few gas tanks. But I sure checked it when I heard the motor start knocking. That thing had absolutely no oil. Took 3 quarts before it even registered on the stick. And no I did NOT forget to add oil during the oil change. Sold that oil burning POS to a mechanic and got a beat up 4Runner.

I heard multiple accounts of those boxer engines burning more oil than fuel. My aunt included, who bought hers brand new and needed a new motor within the first 50k. I should have payed more attention to the bad press.

The only cars worth a damn are older Toyotas and some older diesel trucks. No way in F#@%ing hell am I gonna pay $50-80K for these new cars and trucks that are running on software. The dealers cannot even fix the problems they are having with the latest models. I know someone who has a brand new deisel F150, it just decides when it wants to run or not. They told him theres only one computer wizard in the country that may be able to fix the bug in that truck.
We're living in a world of outlandishly expensive dog s#it.

Last edited:

J Batt

WKR
To top that story off, I actually sold a 5.9 cummins 2WD in favor of buying a frail Subaru.
Boy do I regret that.