Any morels yet?!

What types of areas do you focus on to find them? I've got access to a bunch of river bottom property. What should I be looking for? I'm guessing the ticks will be in full force in the next week or so....treat clothes with permethrin?
I dont waste my time looking anywhere that has been flooded recently...sometime you can find them at the edge of the high water mark from the flood..I like south facing slopes..Once I found one I go over the area very well from a couple different directions..I rarely find just one..YMMV depending on you area..Good Luck!

netman

WKR
Hearing some are finding a few here in SW Indiana. I’ll be getting after them next week.

EastMT

WKR
My parents said in Central Missouri they are harvesting morels with combines......ok maybe not that many but I guess a lot of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you all find many out west? I find a few handfuls a year here in virginia, but it's tough sometimes, i do much better finding chantrelles and ramps lol

Best single day haul I've seen was from clearing trails through a burn in eastern Oregon. Filled a couple of pack bags on one mule. Priorities kind of shifted when we found that area.

EastMT

WKR
Here in Alaska they chase the burn areas, usually small black ones. In Montana there are huge commercial buyers at the burn areas, they come up like crazy, I mean more than you can carry in a bucket.

None yet that ive seen in N. Idaho. That being said, ive been in Dallas for two days now so who knows whats possible. Depending on temps could be another week or so.

2ski

WKR
I got kind of addicted to finding them last year.

It may seem funny, but there was a certain smell in the places I would find lots of them. Like a sweet earthy smell. Something about the soil or maybe even the mushrooms? I don't know. I need to find some burns in MT to go camp for a weekend.

EastMT

WKR
I got kind of addicted to finding them last year.

It may seem funny, but there was a certain smell in the places I would find lots of them. Like a sweet earthy smell. Something about the soil or maybe even the mushrooms? I don't know. I need to find some burns in MT to go camp for a weekend.

Back in the early 2000’s the had those big burns up by Polebridge, there were mushroom buyer trailers, groups of people that traveled north with the mushroom harvest like a fall combine crew. They had boards across their necks, 4 5 gallon buckets each trip out. Crazy how many pop up in the burns.

huntdoc

FNG
My parents timber was logged over the winter so curious to see if it helps or hurts. Soil is still pretty cold.

Rookie

FNG
Can't wait for them to start popping in MN. Getting hit pretty good with snow now so going to be a bit yet.

Sodbuster

WKR
Today in south Missouri.
Small gray/blacks.
They were in the yard where I was weedeating.

Big yellows will be along in a week or so.

5995decdc8cc983fd36506751f75f9a1.jpg

gabenzeke

WKR
It's a soil temperature thing as far as when to go. You want temps in the low 50's with warm rains. That's what gets them going. Shouldn't be long here in Iowa.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk