Any guessing on Wyoming general point level?

ALrob838

FNG
I put in with 5 points for General. Pretty sure I am wasting my time! I just hope I can go to WY before I turn 60!!!!

Mojave

WKR
Lots of problems for this year.

More quota so that's good, but they split it in 3 uneven ways that we won't actually know the answer to until they release the quota.

How will the 3 split affect applicants that want to hunt multiple areas?

Wyoming points programs have turned elk into a once every 10 years game, but creep for general tags is keeping it at more than 10. How will that affect applicants?

How many people will give up and not apply?

How many people from the points only pool will jump in?

If you live in Salt Lake or Denver and you spend weekends in Southern Wyoming, is that your go to?

Outfitters in Southern and Eastern Wyoming should have a hay day.

No one knows what will happen, as this is the first year. I think in 5 years you will have some kind of predictability on the general.

I will do what I always do, and buy a point. In 3-5 years when I am back in America I'll dump my $2000 into a limited entry unit that has enough random tags for me to have a 3-5% shot. Then get pissed off when I don't draw after a couple years and put in for a general.

Lots of problems for this year.

More quota so that's good, but they split it in 3 uneven ways that we won't actually know the answer to until they release the quota.

How will the 3 split affect applicants that want to hunt multiple areas?

Wyoming points programs have turned elk into a once every 10 years game, but creep for general tags is keeping it at more than 10. How will that affect applicants?

How many people will give up and not apply?

How many people from the points only pool will jump in?

If you live in Salt Lake or Denver and you spend weekends in Southern Wyoming, is that your go to?

Outfitters in Southern and Eastern Wyoming should have a hay day.

No one knows what will happen, as this is the first year. I think in 5 years you will have some kind of predictability on the general.

I will do what I always do, and buy a point. In 3-5 years when I am back in America I'll dump my $2000 into a limited entry unit that has enough random tags for me to have a 3-5% shot. Then get pissed off when I don't draw after a couple years and put in for a general.
How can you say that??? A license that took just over 4 points last year is not a 10 year license. Certainly not more!

Knowing the quota won’t tell you anything unless you know how many applicants there will be.

People do hunt multiple areas but not very many will jump from one of the 3 regions to the next. Maybe a resident hunter who lives near the border of two regions. But the regions don’t affect residents.

It doesn’t matter how many give up when demand is so much higher than supply. They’ll never run out of customers!

I do agree that outfits in the south and east are smiling ear to ear.

Jethro

WKR
I am a known doom and gloomer.

General
West 8
East 5
South 7 (close proximity to Salt Lake and Denver).

Special
West 7
East 4 (people who have hunts booked and want to ensure they have a tag. Even if it is by pooling points).
South 4 close proximity to Salt Lake and Denver).
If I recall correctly, a year ago, you were the guy telling us that a general tag would take 6-8 points in 2023.

I have to laugh at all the people with their crystal balls. I’ve applied for a general license every year since before they invented point creep. Some of these predictions are hilarious. Just apply! Or don’t.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sitting out WY this year, so it will probably be way less than I currently have. Lol! And next year it will jump up back up beyond my point level. Be just my kind of luck.

JFK

WKR
To the guys saying that outfitters benefit from this…can you explain how? Legitimate question…not trying to be a smartass. Most of the outfitters worth their salt stay pretty booked. I can see that repeat clients can hunt with an outfitter more or less often based on this new system, but I guess I’m failing to see how outfitters really benefit from this. But I’m sure I’m missing something.

Benjblt

WKR
I've been buying points in Wyoming for 17 years. I've never cashed in because I'm a half a point off every year (point creep) from getting the tag I want when appying with my dad who has one more point than I. I'm starting to feel like a fool with all this point creep. I've spent several grand in points. It's sad that once I finally am able to cash in, my next option I'm considering of drawing a general tag will take 10 years or something. But when your in your 40's and it takes 6 to 10 years to draw a tag. You're looking at maybe 3 more hunts in your lifetime. What a joke. Makes more sense to dedicate more time to your home state in my opinion . . unless you just have money to burn. Bottom line, when a state's base line tag is a 6 to 10 year proposition that's a major bummer. Even if it is a great hunt.

I've been buying points in Wyoming for 17 years. I've never cashed in because I'm a half a point off every year (point creep) from getting the tag I want when appying with my dad who has one more point than I. I'm starting to feel like a fool with all this point creep. I've spent several grand in points. It's sad that once I finally am able to cash in, my next option I'm considering of drawing a general tag will take 10 years or something. But when your in your 40's and it takes 6 to 10 years to draw a tag. You're looking at maybe 3 more hunts in your lifetime. What a joke. Makes more sense to dedicate more time to your home state in my opinion . . unless you just have money to burn. Bottom line, when a state's base line tag is a 6 to 10 year proposition that's a major bummer. Even if it is a great hunt.
You have a choice. You could’ve killed a dozen bulls while you’re waiting for that tag. When you get there, you’ll find out the elk are not suicidal anyway. By then you could have known your general unit hunting area like the back of your hand.

Home state? If you have elk in your home state, then maybe. But there is a reason lots of Colorado residents hunt Wyoming.

I don’t know why anyone from Denver or the front range would hunt the southern units. If I’m going to drop money in WY, I’m going to “Wyoming“

App in, rolled the cheapie fee dice.