Antelope buck/doe question

I feel dumb even asking this question. I've been out west to hunt a few times and have spent a ton of time researching in Wyoming mostly and some in Colorado. I have a hard time figuring out units with a ton of antelope doe tags. I am thinking about going on an antelope hunt in Wyoming as a second choice hunt, as not to use preference points. But I want to pick a unit where I can draw a buck and a doe tag, for multiple opportunities to bring back meat. I use OnX and have the other tools that go with it, like top rut and huntin' fool. I really like the Wyoming game and fish website for finding hunts for everything except this, because like I said, I cannot figure out the units that this kind of hunt could be drawn in. Any advice on how I should go about looking for this hunt would really be appreciated.

bdan68

WKR
For what you're talking about you need to apply in an area that's almost all private land. Which means you would likely need to go with an outfitter. It used to be possible to get on private land for a reasonable fee, but that's not really an option anymore. Ten years ago doing what you're wanting to do would have been easy. But it's just not like that anymore.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Wyoming guides will likely be raising their fees. Probably will pay WAY too much for a speed goat. Their bank roll of yearly out of state hunters will be severely dwindled due to new regulations for drawing out of state tags.

OP
618-Flatlander
Ucsdryder and bdan68, you're about the only ones that actually gave me an answer, thank you. I know of multiple people going out and doing these exact hunts. They are mostly in units with little public land access, but I just have a hard time finding the doe tag availability. I can do my own research like I said, I just was wondering if anyone had a better way of looking for doe tag availability for left over tags or a second or third choice option. I saw that goHunt has doe specific searches for tags for all species. I didn't know if any other company that I listed in the original post offered something like this that I was missing. Like I mentioned, I'm trying to gain experience on hunting antelope before I use my points on a real good hunt. I don't know why people have to respond with dumb unhelpful comments. Seems like a waste of time to me.

stonewall

WKR
Doe tags have been cut drastically throughout the state. What you’re wanting to do is very nearly impossible now. Just getting a second choice buck tag will mean a unit of private land. You can find past draw stats and tag quotas on wgf website. That is your best source

Jimss

WKR
Both buck and doe tags in recent years is about as lean as I have ever seen in Wyoming. This winter doesn't look any better so tags may be reduced even more. EHD has also impacted antelope numbers in localized areas. Keep your fingers crossed the remaining winter is ok and there is decent spring and summer moisture.

hunt1up

WKR
In the early 2010s you could pick up a buck tag, a second buck tag, and a doe tag or two in plenty of units. As others mentioned, those days are long gone. While anyone can still have a fine antelope hunt in WY, going out with a handful of tags isn't likely to happen. I'd just focus on getting a buck tag and if you happen to land a doe tag in the random draw then it's a lucky addition.

OP
618-Flatlander
That all makes a lot more sense. I'll shift the focus back to buck tags only. Like I said, I was just looking at getting more stalks and opportunities. But I'll shoot for a second choice buck tag maybe and at least get one antelope hunt in before I use my points. Thanks for the info everyone

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
That all makes a lot more sense. I'll shift the focus back to buck tags only. Like I said, I was just looking at getting more stalks and opportunities. But I'll shoot for a second choice buck tag maybe and at least get one antelope hunt in before I use my points. Thanks for the info everyone
Any unit that can be drawn with a second choice is going to be all private. If you’re hell bent on doing that before using your points I would reach out to outfitters.

Rich M

WKR
Any unit that can be drawn with a second choice is going to be all private. If you’re hell bent on doing that before using your points I would reach out to outfitters.

That's what I thought - every unit I ever looked at had more applications than permits. The ide of a leftover or 2nd draw for NR means very little public land and/or few to no antelope.

pcassada

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said, there are only a couple of units that you'll have the possibility of getting a second choice buck tag. Those will be primarily private ground with areas of public either landlocked by private or not being pronghorn habitat. If you can find a landowner who is willing to allow a trespass fee, that'll offer you the highest odds of success. The draw for an antelope doe is a true lottery, so if you get a buck tag you may as well apply for a doe tag too. Worst that can happen is you don't draw the doe tag.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!