Hip rubbing/cuts from pack belt

I ran a Kifaru tactical duplex with an AMR bag for almost a decade until recently picking up a 25” ARK frame with small belt (I’m a 34” waist) and Dall bag.

Overall I really like the Dall bag and find it to be an improved version of the AMR, at least for my needs.

The ARK frame is great too. I much prefer it thus far over the tactical duplex, but I’m running into hip rubbing issues, which to be fair is something that plagued me even when I used the tactical frame. I can’t figure out what’s causing it.

I just finished a 13 mile hike/overnight spike camping trip in the wilderness with my daughter this weekend and had 50 lbs on me, which included a rifle strapped to the pack. I’ve been doing 2-3 rucks a week with the new frame for the past month, with all rucks consisting of a 3 mile up/down with a 50 lbs sandbag. The lumbar pad was a little stiff and rubbed the small of my back at first, but that seems to be going away with more break-ins.

I’m not sure what’s causing my hip cuts though. I’m wearing a Groove belt, but it sits lower on my waist while wearing a pack. I do tend to cinch the waist belt fairly tight at first and do a little adjustment as I go, but the hip cuts seem to occur on any longer hikes. Not a new problem for me.

I’m adjusting the pack as per Aaron’s instructions (hip belt adjustment first, adjust shoulder straps, and load lifters, then slightly decompress shoulder straps).

Anyone have similar issues? I included a pic from this morning. My finger is on my hip bone.
f9c4525b70ab5467da0a1a78b43f4476.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bcaulder

WKR
I just watched a Exo fitment video where they said under no circumstances should you wear a belt under their Hip Belt for this very reason. Maybe try taking the belt off, run suspenders or use paracord, and see if the problem goes away.

Good luck.

sr80

WKR
Looks painful thats for sure. How about your shirts? Sometimes when not tucking in my shirt i would feel some irritation under pack belts.

Yeah, Ditto the tucked in shirt. Usually solves my problem but I feel like I look like a goober.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I used to get this pretty bad from wearing a kuiu pack I had. As the other posters said I found that tucking my shirt helped a lot. Sometimes though if I was doing long trips I would put leukotape over those spots on my hips before the trip which also solved the problem. That all being said I switched to a stone glacier pack and that problem has gone away for me.

OP
F
Thanks for the tips. I’ll try tucking in my shirt (I never tuck any shirts), and I’ll try a parachord belt. If going belt-less works, I may have to suck it up and buy a pair of suspenders.

TaperPin

WKR
My belt of choice is a simple 1” flat webbing with ladder lock for a buckle - as flat a belt as can possibly be. I’m definitely not a fan of paracord belts - that’s just not comfortable.

Definitely tuck in a soft shirt. Skin gets softer with sweat - changing shirts at the halfway mark may help. There’s also the natural law of soft skin, hands, feet, shoulders and hips, all need time to slowly build up calluses to the pressures we put on them. I get sore skin on my shoulders and sides of the chest that only wearing a pack can prevent.

It also makes me wonder if the pants are simply cut at a bad height, either too high or too low - some look cool and sell well, but just don’t work well under a pack. I had a pair of pants with a really heavy seam that chaffed my hips - those were given away quickly.

Hopefully you find something that works - being sore all the time sucks.

Bazookas

FNG
I had this happen when I was wearing a webbed belt. Took it off mid hike and pain gone. Just have to be careful not to lose too much weight after a week of hunting otherwise I may end up hiking out sans pants

S.Clancy

WKR
Your belt is too small is most of the problem. I'm a 32" waist and use a medium belt. The change in pressure from the foam of the hip belt is significant between the small and the medium at your waist size. I think that will solve most of your issues.

OP
F
Your belt is too small is most of the problem. I'm a 32" waist and use a medium belt. The change in pressure from the foam of the hip belt is significant between the small and the medium at your waist size. I think that will solve most of your issues.

I just don’t think that’s the issue. As mentioned, I had the same issue on occasion with my old tactical frame and belt, and that one was a medium. I used to be able to cinch that belt all the way until it maxed out to the buckle.

The small ARK belt allows me roughly 2” on either side of the buckle before touching, and that’s with a light load. I know from many experiences packing 130 lbs moose hinds that when I’m loaded that heavy, I will use up much of that leftover to cinch the crap out of the waist belt when I’m stupid heavy.

I’ll try no belt and shirt tucked before I spend the money on a new belt, but I’ll keep it in mind if I can’t solve it. I’m actually still dropping some weight and getting quite a bit leaner.

I have some experience with this from some rather unique farm work that I’ll spare you the details on, but I’m just getting over my annual bout of this. I’ve got scars from hip belts.

Pack fits etc would be my first guess, but it sounds like you’re probably not too far off. Second guess is to look at the straps then pull the bottom of the pack toward your hips. I’ve found that if those are too tight, then there’s a lot of unnecessary pressure on the front of my hips.

after that, I look at the following to find what’s causing the misery
1) seams. Some pants just suck under a pack, same with underwear. I’ve got some heavy work pants that have a huge bulky seam that’s miserable.

2) rolls or folds of fabric that can create pressure points and rub. A wrinkled or scrunched up shirt under the belt can be problematic

good luck.

Wapato

FNG
I’ve had this problem with every pack I’ve owned. I’ve tried belts, no belt, tucked/untucked, and have finally just accepted that it’s part of life.

Dave0317

WKR
Dang, this whole time I thought it was an issue just poor guys like me deal with that use a military ruck. I figured the tough cordura, and comparatively less padding in a Molle II ruck was the problem. Seeing that even a high dollar pack can do it makes me that much more hesitant to try one out.

I will say, I actually have the problem more when I have like 30 pounds in the pack. It bounces and shifts more and causes more rubbing. Once I have a good 45+ in the pack, it just settles in and sits on the hips with much less rubbing/friction issues.

Sometimes I can play with the belt and load lifter adjustments and get it to work a bit better. So that would be my advice, play with how much your belt is supporting, VS how much your load lifters are working. I find that I get best fit if I loosen everything up, and then tighten belt first, then shoulder straps, and load lifters last. Sounds like you have about the same method though.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder if it relates to body type/build? I also struggle with this issue and I am 6’ 1” and thin at 180 pounds. My friends who tell me this is never an issue for them are all more stocky/muscular so perhaps they have more natural padding around their hips?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wonder if it relates to body type/build? I also struggle with this issue and I am 6’ 1” and thin at 180 pounds. My friends who tell me this is never an issue for them are all more stocky/muscular so perhaps they have more natural padding around their hips?
I'm 6'6" and 215 right now, so tall and thin. Like I said earlier, I wear my packs higher (around my waist, not my hips) with no lumbar pad and never have that problem.