Another vehicle thread

OP
D

Delta21

FNG
Look at the gas you could pay for with the cost of another vehicle, its gas and its insurance. The mpg cost savings is kind of like a "cull" buck.....they're myths.
Very good point. It’s the miles that worry me. I just bought a new ram in January and would like to keep the miles from piling up too quick. 5-6K reliable beater would be good for that.

INshooter

FNG
Don’t knock the Subaru. We had an older 2014 Crosstrek. We put 100k miles in 2 years on it and that thing never missed a beat.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
Very good point. It’s the miles that worry me. I just bought a new ram in January and would like to keep the miles from piling up too quick. 5-6K reliable beater would be good for that.
A buddy of mine tried this a few years ago for the exact same reasons. It was a miserable fail for saving money. His commuter was in the shop a couple times, needed tires, alternator and whatnot, plus additional insurance. Reliable and cheap are usually inversely proportional in my expierience (at least over time). I don't think you'll save money with a second vehicle solely saving the fuel differential. Your truck would depreciate somewhat less with lower miles.

Last edited:

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I recently went through the exact same thing. My truck only has 177000km on it and has been very reliable and a good truck but I was looking at replacement anyway. It turns out with new truck prices, I could have traded mine in plus another 50k to get in a new truck so I took that 50k and bought a subaru outback instead. Now I only drive my truck when needing an actual truck and take the subie the other 90percent of the time.

So fat I'm happy with the decision and the outback has proven to be a capable hunting rig so far. I slept in it a few nights while bear hunting as well.

Attachments

• 20240524_154338.jpg
    20240524_154338.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 17

Elite

WKR
I bought a 2001 rav 4 to commute to work and to be honest the new truck sits 80% of the time now.

Never have to worry about getting door dinged or driving it to often and racking up the mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loper

WKR
I bought a 2001 rav 4 to commute to work and to be honest the new truck sits 80% of the time now.

Never have to worry about getting door dinged or driving it to often and racking up the mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This sounds like people who buy a nice blued and walnut rifle, only to put in the back of the safe, to then buy a Savage Axis to actually hunt with.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same situation you are in. I ended up getting a Subaru Forester. As much as you don't want to admit it, it really does make sense. As a matter of fact, took mine to Idaho a few weeks ago for a spring bear hunt. It made even more sense, with an average of 34+ mpg. My Ram 1500 on long trips, averages no better than 22mpg. My Subaru had all the room needed to carry my gear too.

Yoder

WKR
If you just want a commuter vehicle, I would buy either a Corolla, a Civic or a Mazda 3. I've owned all three. The two Civics (2004 and 2008) I put 200k on one and 265k on the other. Hardly any problems. One the AC compressor died and the other needed and alternator. I currently own a 2018 Corolla with 180k. Only changed the brakes. My 2013 Mazda has 250k. So far brakes and an alternator. The Corolla gets the best mpg, around 35 average. The others were right at 30. I'm sure the newer models get better mileage. I know Mazda was garbage for a while, but I think they got better around 2009. I heard they are now partnered with Toyota instead of Ford which must have made a big difference. I'm confident I'll get 300k out of mine.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Look at the gas you could pay for with the cost of another vehicle, its gas and its insurance. The mpg cost savings is kind of like a "cull" buck.....they're myths.
My dad used to tell me this all the time. And he sold cars for a living for a long time.