And so it begins....

Rob5589

WKR
As someone who lives in IL and has dealt with our ridiculous gun laws for years, we have neither public lands nor gun rights. If you vote dem get you’re head out your butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As a Kalifornian, I feel your pain.

Some thoughts on background checks.

Once the BG is passed, anyone can go commit a crime with said weapon.
Prohibiting factors only stop the process if said factors are entered into the system.
Why should a law abiding, current gun owner have to go through a BG check?
If the system erroneously flags you, generally there is no recourse beyond hiring an atty and spending thousands of dollars.
People here in CA have been denied for simple vehicle infractions.
In CA if the BG check comes back as "undetermined," then you are at the mercy of the dealer as to whether they release the firearm. And since you now own it and if they refuse to release it, you need to fight with the DOJ or find someone to sell the gun to.
There are now BG checks on ammo in CA. You also cannot sell or transfer ammo without a dealer involved BG check. Oh, and you're limited to 500 rounds or less a month in sales without a sales license.

I'd love to hear how "reasonable" a BG check and 10 day wait is for someone that currently legally owns firearms.

Honest question: I wonder how universal gun control is as a Democratic issue Post 2020. Between Covid, BLM and trump, there are lots of new gun owners. I have heard the number of 8 million first time buyers in 2020 with a heavy ethnic minority skew. I have advised / coached / helped ~15 people in the last year to buy a first or a home defense gun. Most were first time buyers. As I recall, it was about even split between left and right with some pretty hard core lefties in there. Curious if recent events may have had a lasting impact on some Democrats support for gun control.

Law abiding citizens lost the right to own certain semi-automatic firearms because of how they looked not how they functioned with no effect on firearm homicides. Do laws like this make sense when we already have laws on the books that make it illegal for criminals to own firearm's?
And that is the inherent problem. Law, after law, after law with no positive net gain.

mt100gr.

WKR
As a Kalifornian, I feel your pain.

Some thoughts on background checks.

Once the BG is passed, anyone can go commit a crime with said weapon.
Prohibiting factors only stop the process if said factors are entered into the system.
Why should a law abiding, current gun owner have to go through a BG check?
If the system erroneously flags you, generally there is no recourse beyond hiring an atty and spending thousands of dollars.
People here in CA have been denied for simple vehicle infractions.
In CA if the BG check comes back as "undetermined," then you are at the mercy of the dealer as to whether they release the firearm. And since you now own it and if they refuse to release it, you need to fight with the DOJ or find someone to sell the gun to.
There are now BG checks on ammo in CA. You also cannot sell or transfer ammo without a dealer involved BG check. Oh, and you're limited to 500 rounds or less a month in sales without a sales license.

I'd love to hear how "reasonable" a BG check and 10 day wait is for someone that currently legally owns firearms.
CA never ceases to amaze me. I guess I haven't seen it spelled out like that very often.

The last time I bought a scary looking rifle it literally took less than ten minutes and I walked out the door with a rifle, a couple hundred rounds of ammo, and an extra "high capacity " magazine.

The shop I like still uses paper forms and because I have a carry permit, they don't even make the red light-green light phone call.

Okhotnik

WKR
Honest question: I wonder how universal gun control is as a Democratic issue Post 2020. Between Covid, BLM and trump, there are lots of new gun owners. I have heard the number of 8 million first time buyers in 2020 with a heavy ethnic minority skew. I have advised / coached / helped ~15 people in the last year to buy a first or a home defense gun. Most were first time buyers. As I recall, it was about even split between left and right with some pretty hard core lefties in there. Curious if recent events may have had a lasting impact on some Democrats support for gun control.
I was contacted by 6 democrat friends the past year who previously were afraid of and or hated firearms. They were afraid after the BLM/ANTIFA riots after witnessing the burning down and looting of dozens of cities in the US by these domestic terrrorist groups. They wanted the firearms for home defense and wanted my advice. The first question I asked and always ask of someone who wants to buy a firearm for home defense: "Are you capable of taking someone's life if the break into your home and threaten you or a family member?" They all answered no and that they just needed a firearm to wave at an intruder or just shoot a warning shot in the air. I told them not to purchase a firearm then and offered no more assistance; a firearm would just cause problems for them

They are clueless.

The Dems used all their political clout on Obamacare 2008-2010. Guns weren't as high on the priority list as trying to socialize medicine. Then in the 2010 mid-terms they got hammered and lost the house.

One thing you have to hand to the Dems is that they always hold their voting block together. I'd wager there is a higher possibility of a "republican" from the uni-party crossing the isle on a vote like this than the other way around. Are you comfortable trusting your guns rights to Romney, Murkowski, Collins, etc.?
Yes since they come from states where hunting and gun ownership is strong among their voters (Murkowski Alaska, Romney Utah, Collins Maine.) Two democratic senators that might also vote against antigun legislation include Manchin (WV), Tester (MT). The votes in the Senate are not there...

RS3579

WKR
Don’t forget Trump and his Republican Party banned bump stocks in 2019. That’s definitely gun control. I didn’t hear to many complaining about that. I’ve been telling people they have to watch the Republicans not just the Democrats.

Reactions: ZDR

def90

WKR
Don’t forget Trump and his Republican Party banned bump stocks in 2019. That’s definitely gun control. I didn’t hear to many complaining about that. I’ve been telling people they have to watch the Republicans not just the Democrats.
yep, most of the current standing bans occurred during Rep presidencies. The current import barrel ban, the ban on non-sporting semi auto firearms, bump stocks, and a few others over the years.

RS3579

WKR
yep, most of the current standing bans occurred during Rep presidencies. The current import barrel ban, the ban on non-sporting semi auto firearms, bump stocks, and a few others over the years.
I’m only aware of the bump stock.

blackdawg

WKR
Really all of the Democrats voted against Trump... Shocking! Voting on a shame impeachment won't affect much back home for them. But for a few Democratic senators in red-states voting on gun control will be a career-ender.

You say "if the people don't stand up now" what does that mean to you, go burn down a Target, take up arms?? That sounds pretty dumb to me at this point.

I would suggest we all join a pro-gun organization or five. Be in constant communication with your state/federal lawmakers.

Get an FFL, take or teach classes on firearms and take a non-gun owner to the range with you.

I have lots of redneck friends, they are not all white.... But I promise you they are on our side.

Yes, I agree. Join as many groups as possible that will defend our 2nd Amendment rights. Please don’t burn or loot or bust a cap in anyone. That’s reserved for the lefts temper tantrum’s. I wish I could still say in the region where I reside now that anyone other than white people were on our side, unfortunately I don’t believe that to be true at this time, actions are speaking louder than words, glad you know people from other demographics that have strong patriotic values! Could you enlighten me to Senate Democrats in Red States that do not have minority demographic majorities. In the southeast it seems to be very cut and dried which demographic voted for which candidate.
Dumb ? Sometimes the web is very challenging to express and convey meaning properly. Sorry but I feel strongly like gun owners are being divided and conquered, some of the opinions I see represented on this hunters forum seem to indicate the depths to which it is happening.
Unite and stand up can be more than starting a civil war. Perhaps we could all take small steps like, don’t shop or buy from corporations that donate to anti hunting,anti gun groups or patronize platforms that censor free speech or contribute to the radical left? I posted a question along those lines years ago and it was crickets! Can we spread the good word about companies and people that share our values and support our agendas? Can you speak up and out, Voice an opinion, disagree and not be afraid of being canceled. Yes, some local liberals have tried to cancel me this year! Can you choose your words wisely and not argue with fools, can you help others understand how to do this effectively?Can you communicate with your friends, family, local government officials and state representatives, let them know what’s happening and what your opinion may be? Trust me, they are busy with many other problems this year! Can you broaden your social platform reach with like minded individuals? Our wheel hasn’t been squeaking enough, the time has come to squeak. Just a few quick ideas. Clarified? Seems like most of us are on the same page, rather than beating dead horses shouldn’t we be tossing ideas out on how or what we can do to preserve our Freedoms?

Last edited:

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
As someone who lives in IL and has dealt with our ridiculous gun laws for years, we have neither public lands nor gun rights. If you vote dem get you’re head out your butt.

Don’t people have a right to vote the way they want to?
Maybe we should give the left leaning population something to identify them by, maybe a star on their shirt?

DJB

FNG

The current import ban was enacted in 1968 under Johnson. The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA or GCA68) The ATF decided to re-interpret the import ban and expanded it to barrels in 2005. Another major bill was the Brady act under Clinton and Trump did do the bump stock ban. Gun control has happened under both parties with the major bills coming from the Dems. We do need to keep an eye on both sides of the isle but at this point in time I think we have a lot more to worry about from the Dems.

qwerksc

WKR
The truth is, with all the guns and new gun owners out there, the true war will never see a shot fired, our adversary has a strategy that requires you have a false sense of security. Most people will wonder wtf just happened?

Reactions: ZDR

260madman

WKR
IF it passes...big if....its a surefire way to win back the whitehouse and congress (if they don't take it back in 2022). Presidential election was roughly 50/50...now throw in the millions and millions of law abiding, gun owning democrats and I smell a landslide.

Hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, the pain is surely temporary. Hell, at the pace the go'vt runs, they won't even have a program in place to effect this change by 2024.
Gun owning Democrats will turn them in for the greater good, Comrade.

Vandy321

WKR
Gun owning Democrats will turn them in for the greater good, Comrade.

...and tell on their neighbors who don't.

All joking aside though, I dont think they all will, and I certainly think some will vote for the candidate in the future who actually supports their 2A rights.

gabenzeke

WKR
Don't forget that the firearms registry would be viewable by the public. And you have to pay for a psych eval, 24 hours of training, an $800 tax per firearm, interviews of family and friends annually!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Don't forget that the firearms registry would be viewable by the public. And you have to pay for a psych eval, 24 hours of training, an $800 tax per firearm, interviews of family and friends annually!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
This concerns me. I lived in NYC and NY for 15 years. The list of NYC pistol permit holders was published annually. Not surprisingly, I contained a lot of wealthy political donors.

Some group did a freedom of information act request on the records for pistol owners throughout the state And paired it up with google maps. For a while you had a zoomable, searchable map of all pistol owners in the state. premises permits, not carry permits. Meaning if you legally owned a pistol. Cops. Lawyers. Judges. Domestic abuse survivors. Former prosecution witnesses (Not in witness protection) . Regular folks. all of them. Some crooks thought, well here are the homes I don’t want to rob. Some thought, well here is where I go (when no one is home) if I want to steal a gun.

Okhotnik

WKR
You guys cheering on UBC understand that will not work without full registration.

you know, like our Canadian friends did.
...and tell on their neighbors who don't.

All joking aside though, I dont think they all will, and I certainly think some will vote for the candidate in the future who actually supports their 2A rights.
lol. Did you watch the Democrat debates? Their platform contained gun control and seizures. Can you legally purchase a 20 round mag now in Colorado?

here's the crazy commie Bernie

DJB

FNG
Yes since they come from states where hunting and gun ownership is strong among their voters (Murkowski Alaska, Romney Utah, Collins Maine.) Two democratic senators that might also vote against antigun legislation include Manchin (WV), Tester (MT). The votes in the Senate are not there...
.... yet.