An ode to Recruitment

Rizzy

WKR
I had a trailcam watching this high country meadow from June to the end of September of the 2013 season. I didn't get any pictures of any huge Bulls, just the typical 5 and small 6 point Idaho OTC Bulls. What I found to be most inspiring was the recruitment and the Cow/Calve/Bull ratio of the small herd that hangs out in the area. This is in Wolf country, but the areas surrounding this meadow are very steep and rugged.

There are still a few areas in Idaho that appear to have a healthy Elk population.

Jager

WKR
Good images mate, Tc's teach us so much about our wild animals, you may have a few future trophies growing out up there.

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
The Bulls

I have learned a lot using TC. I still haven't been able to figure out where the Big Bulls are though. It seems once they turn into a big 6 point they vanish. I think it may have to do with the small amount of Cows in the area. Regardless, I am more than content hunting the these smaller Bulls.

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
Remote and hard to get to according to the map. When I hiked in for the first time there was decent Elk sign and I saw Elk while glassing.