Opening day archery elk strategy

Opia

FNG
Hey everyone, this will be my 3rd season archery hunting in my home state of Montana. I learned a lot about hunting my first two seasons but never managed to lay eyes on any elk. Earlier this week though I was leaving an area I was shooting my broadheads at and seen a bull elk run off the road down into a meadow. There ended up being three bulls with about fifteen cows in the meadow, two of the bulls were 6 points and bugleing back an forth with eachother while raking trees 100yds apart. (First time I've witnessed bull elk bugle and rake a tree, holy shit was that cool. I see where the addiction comes from.) I've driven back out the last few nights and tried to keep tabs on them and see where they come and go from. The herd is always in the meadow after sunset but it gets dark quick so i can never see where they go.

To get to my question, archery season starts in a couple days and I don't know how to go about hunting this small herd. I haven't seen a single other person this week watching them so im hoping I'll have the first chance at them this year. The meadow the elk keep showing up on is on a small chunk of private land so catching them there isn't an option. But the mountains surrounding the area are all public and I believe the elk are spending their days somewhere in the trees near good feed and water.

What strategies would you use on opening day in this situation? I've found a couple possible spots they could be bedding then traveling down to the meadow, but haven't gone in and checked it out yet out of fear of spooking the herd. My plan has been to set up on a likely path of travel around sunrise and try to ambush them as they come down the mountain in the morning of opening day. I don't know where they are exactly though so it feels like a bit of a gamble. Calling is an option. Im not a great elk caller, but I can bugle decently and was able to get the largest bull of the 3 to respond to me a few times the other night.

Would you prefer post up and glass to find the herd? To keep from potentially bumping them. Would you start the morning with a bugle and locate them through calls? If so, what strategy would you use to close in on them after locating? Would you try the ambush? Would you put down miles in the mountains while calling, glassing, etc.

I appreciate any thoughts on the situation and your time for reading this. I could use all the help and luck I can get this year. Finding elk this close to season that were acting the way they were, I really don't want to mess this up or wait for other hunters to find this herd. Thanks again!

cgasner1

WKR
I’d watch them tonight and try and see where they are moving from. Be close to that area about a hour before daylight by sneaking in without the head lamp and listening. Move in as close as you dare in the dark and try and ambush them as they make the transition. Also while trying to set up and cow call one of the bulls in if I felt it presented itself. I never go into the elk woods with a plan and my mind made up I let the elk decide how the hunt plays out and do what I feel gives me the best odds in that moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they are that close to the road, plan on them being blown out opening day.

I'd be relatively aggressive, try to decide an area that they go to during the day, and cut them off in the morning on their way there. Keep thermals in mind for scent control, likely to be pretty difficult to stay out of their nose.

You can bugle to locate, first days of September generally aren't the best for calling in older bulls. Once they get some age to them, they have seen and heard a lot, need the testosterone to kick in to make them stupid.

KHNC

WKR
Dont ever call to bulls that your arent hunting again. Unless you are in Yellowstone or Rock Mtn National park.

GOod luck. hopefully they are still there for your hunt.