Am I nuts? Sitka to Kuiu

Luked

WKR
I have quite a bit of sitka gear i have managed to get together. It is Subalpine pattern.
I like the gear, but the issue is for what I mainly due here at home whitetail hunting I dont know if I care of the pattern. Its a lot of green and right now not a lot of green in the woods.
So I have a bud that is a big Kuiu fan and I have looked at some of his gear and it seems like really solid stuff and I like the Vias pattern.
So am I nuts for thinking of selling my gear I have now to Kuiu?

Remember that deer don't see colors like humans. Thousands of hunters used to wear red and black Woolrich outfits and they killed plenty of deer. Any combination of colors that break up the human shape works as camo. Sometimes we get too caught up in color patterns and the marketing of clothing manufacturers. I wore Realtree Hardwoods on my New Mexico elk hunt and still got within 30 yards of my bull.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The tone of a color makes more of a difference.
Green would look black to them. So if you had a very light color back drop it would stand out.
But patterns are not camo.
Ghille, leafy suits are camo.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
How much are you selling your Sitka gear for? And then we can let you know if you should switch. 😉

But seriously do whatever gives you confidence and keep you comfortable

Mojave

WKR
I use Sitka, Kuiu and Swazi hunting and for daily wear.

It honestly matters zero what you use.

I use whatever piece works for the cheapest I can get it.

I have a mix of kuiu solids, some first light camo and a bunch of Sitka subalpine. Despite what everyone will tell you, I agree a big green blob (black to a deer) against a bare oak tree is probably out of place at the least. I get it. Sound. Movement. Etc. but I just think it draws attention after a certain time in the hardwoods. I still use it but I like other patterns late in the season.

For bow hunting, I have gone back to a leafy suit - previously a cabelas, now a north mountain - and the results are awesome. I have intentionally spooked deer and they look straight at me and simply can’t resolve the image of what they are seeing.

WYCFM1

WKR
Switch because it makes you feel good…if you feel good you hunt good…it’s a mental thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stump06

WKR
I'd keep it and add in some on sale or 2nd hand kuiu. You kill bigger deer with mixed & matched Camo ;)
Also, I would like to add that I think the Camo pattern is more for us hunters than the critters. I where a lot of solids and still kill or get close to animals.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
Believe it or not, I wear a bright orange vest right over the top of my camo and still manage to kill deer.

But seriously, Sitka and Kuiu are both great. No need to switch for the camo pattern or to wear all of one brand or the other.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I use Sitka and Kuiu, mix or match. It doesn't matter, and the pattern or color doesn't matter.

Run the Sitka until it wears out and replace with Kuiu.

Mudpuddle has a good point. Most states require orange vests and caps, so the camo pattern is mostly covered. Sitka makes a pattern designed for tree stand hunting. I think it is called "elevated". For rifle hunting where shots are much further than bow distances, I feel camo is not necessary.
If I were bow hunting, I would try to pay more attention to camo.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
I'm an eastern whitetail bow hunter. The sitka patterns work really well in the Maryland woods, I had a bird watcher walk right by me Saturday and didn't even notice my orange hat until I said something to him.

I initially had the same thoughts about the green, but there's green in the woods year round with the brambles and miss and lichens and holly and evergreen trees so between that and the deers eyes, I think you're good either way. ASAT works great too and doesn't look a thing like trees, just all about breaking up the outlines and edges

PHo

WKR
I have full systems from both brands and they are both good. For the last couple of years I have leaned more towards my Kuiu stuff only because it fits my body type better and is ultimately more comfortable when I hunt. There is nothing wrong with trying things out, just wear what is comfortable, the animals won’t care.

Steelhead

FNG
Others have said it, but pick the one that fits you best, what you like wearing the best/comfort and if its important to you, what camo pattern you like best.
I have several Kuiu items, Attack pants, puffy and one of those peloton 240 fleece things and a thin merino beanie mostly to keep the sun off my bald head when I'm panting up a climb. I can't abide by their hats for some reason, just dont' fit me well. The fit on the pants, puffy and fleece clothing is great for my body shape.
for my money I found the merino stuff by First Lite to be more comfortable, and fits great however, the First Lite fleece long sleeve stuff fits me like crap, long, tight arms, super annoying...I got rid of the 2 peices I tried out, but the long sleeve merino stuff is really good...which is weird to me.
I recently needed new gloves and splurged for a pair of Sitka gloves and they are better than anything I've tried from Kuiu int he same range. First thing I've bought from Sitka so you would know more there.
So without rambling even more, try stuff while your wearing out your Sitka stuff would be my advise. You may not be happy with a full setup if you just flip the switch. I am constantly wearing mis-matched camo or solid colors depending on what's been on sale or what I like best etc.

Might as well keep your Sitka and maybe add a few Kuiu garments if you find a good deal. I'm a mixed camo guy and find different pieces from different companies perform better for me. Hope this helps.

Might as well keep your Sitka and maybe add a few Kuiu garments if you find a good deal. I'm a mixed camo guy and find different pieces from different companies perform better for me. Hope this helps.
this. shop the sales mix and match. only suckers pay full price on this stuff. i like firtslite merino, sitka mid and outer layers and kuiu pants.

akrdkill

WKR
if your a fit, & more atheltic build, you might find some deals on kuiu....sitka tends to fit us non slim guys better i think....i'm a mix & match what fits your style...camo or not