Alpacka Rafts?

Anyone here had a chance to actually visit the Alpacka Raft store in Mancos, CO? I am interested in an UL boat for crossing lakes, unclassed rivers and weekend float fun and am wondering which model would support a 6', 230lb guy with a big pack. Spotted a real nice island on Long Lake in the eastern Sierras that looked like a cool and secluded place to camp and with boats from 4-6lbs (including oars) backpacking one in is doable. But there are so many options. Perhaps somebody here has taken a hard look at em? I'm wondering if the Scout is too small...perhaps the Fjord Explorer would be better for fishing though. The Roe Boat weighs to much for me. https://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/Packrafts

alpacka-66-4.jpg

Stid2677

WKR
I have a Fjord Explorer, it will do what you describe. They are SMALL, a PR 49 is much for raft for not much more weight. But for quick crossing and such the FE will work fine.

IMGP4025.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Been using packrafts since 2008. For what you describe I think a Denali Lama is perfect. I am much smaller (5'9 160 pounds) but have used one to float out my gear for a week long sheep hunt and half a dall sheep. Works fine in mellow Class II or less water. I think the PR-49 is more than what you need at nearly triple the weight. That said if you plan on using the packraft for hunting at all the PR-49 from Pristine Ventures is MUCH more boat and it will haul much more than triple what I'd want to haul in an Alpacka. In fact my wife and I have floated animals, all our gear for a week long backpack trip, and both of us in a PR-49 in Class II or less water without issue.

I did a review on here comparing the Big Rig (precursor basically to the PR-49) to the Denali Llama here:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-12-00/backpacking/242-pack-a-raft-to-expand-your-options

If all you are doing is looking to paddle yourself and some camping gear across a lake you hiked into the Denali Llama would be perfect. For hauling more weight or have the option to haul animals or even two people then the weight of the PR-49 becomes very close to what two Denali Llamas would be at a MUCH better price point.

Hope that helps some.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Here is a video that has a Yukon Yak and 2 PR-49s in it from a trip another couple, Becca, and myself did this spring in southern Utah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsuxiCizr-o

Here is another one that has Stid's Explorer, 2 Big Rigs, and a PR-49 in it used on a sheep hunt in the Brooks Range last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MOWeTj2nw4

PM me your number and a good time to call and I will give ya a jingle if you wanna talk over more options and pros/cons to each.

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
Luke is right, Denali Llama is a good choice for what you describe and your size. If after you got some time in the boat and wanted to try some faster water with large load it would it also be the boat you'd want from the Alpacka lineup. I am similar to your size and used a Llama for these purposes but for a straight whitewater boat with non hunting or daypack type setup the Yak is a better fit.

OP
Where's Bruce?
I have a Fjord Explorer, it will do what you describe. They are SMALL, a PR 49 is much for raft for not much more weight. But for quick crossing and such the FE will work fine.

IMGP4025.jpg

The PR49 is 15lbs without a paddle...no way!!! The Scout is 4lbs with a paddle. Gotta be under 6lbs total, prefer 5. When i get to the NWT for moose and brown bear I will rent a boat. How often do you use the oarframe? Added weight or useful?

Last edited:
OP
Where's Bruce?
Been using packrafts since 2008. For what you describe I think a Denali Lama is perfect. I am much smaller (5'9 160 pounds) but have used one to float out my gear for a week long sheep hunt and half a dall sheep. Works fine in mellow Class II or less water. I think the PR-49 is more than what you need at nearly triple the weight. That said if you plan on using the packraft for hunting at all the PR-49 from Pristine Ventures is MUCH more boat and it will haul much more than triple what I'd want to haul in an Alpacka. In fact my wife and I have floated animals, all our gear for a week long backpack trip, and both of us in a PR-49 in Class II or less water without issue.

I did a review on here comparing the Big Rig (precursor basically to the PR-49) to the Denali Llama here:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-12-00/backpacking/242-pack-a-raft-to-expand-your-options

If all you are doing is looking to paddle yourself and some camping gear across a lake you hiked into the Denali Llama would be perfect. For hauling more weight or have the option to haul animals or even two people then the weight of the PR-49 becomes very close to what two Denali Llamas would be at a MUCH better price point.

Hope that helps some.

Very helpful stuff! Thanks for taking the time to post this!

Stid2677

WKR
The PR49 is 15lbs without a paddle...no way!!! The Scout is 4lbs with a paddle. Gotta be under 6lbs total, prefer 5. When i get to the NWT for moose and brown bear I will rent a boat. How often do you use the oarframe? Added weight or useful?

Just shows we all are different. I have 2 Alpacas, the Rigged Explorer and the Denali Llama, a Big Rig and a PR 49. I used the Explorer and my wife the DL, these are light weight rafts that you wear more than anything else. My Explorer would get too front heavy for my liking with my 70lbs pack strapped to it and would try to spin every time I stopped rowing. Plus more often than not you are sitting in water with the Alpaca's, not bad in the summer, but gets cold for fall trips. I like having a little more boat and admit that, but ability to stay up out of the water, carry 2 people and gear, makes a PR49 type raft worth some added weight for many trips.

I would call Luke and pick his brain, he has a lot experience with both hiking and hunting both summer and late fall. Best to try to buy something that will best suit your need.

I used the rigging and paddles once,, not worth the weight or trouble, my Explorer was plenty easy to paddle and control using the Carbon kayak paddle, plus the carbon is lighter and does not transfer the cold like metal does.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Well the Scout is 3 pounds 3 oz. Even with the Sawyer paddle you are looking at 5 pounds total...and don't forgot your PFD. Sure for trips across a lake and such you can get away with it and I have done it on occasion, but its something to consider that will likely be another 1 to 1.5 pounds at the lightest. They have the Trekking pole paddle option but no way in heck would I want to use one for a creek/river that I need to do serious manuervering on. But for you if ALL you are doing is lakes it could be ok. For 8 oz more I'd get a real paddle like the Aquabond Manta Ray Carbon do give you more options.

That said the Scout is a TEENY TINY boat. And you sound like a bigger fella at 230 pounds. The Denali Llama which is what I have used for packs with anywhere from 30-90 pounds on it is 94" long compared to a 72" of the Scout. The inner dimension of 51" vs 41" is also being 3" narrower and 1.5" less space inside and only have 10" tubes all tell me you will end up being disapointed with the Scout. Yes its cheaper, but with you 230 pounds in it and even just 30 pound pack would super tight and draft A LOT. I think you'll be money ahead in the long run getting yourself a Denali Llama (with the cruiser spray skirt in case you want to run river at some point it helps A LOT with keeping the splashes out) a real paddle, and a PFD. I figure when I go on a backcountry packraft trip with just an Alpacka I will have an extra 10 pounds in my pack (5.5 pounds for the raft with a spray deck, 2.5 pounds for my paddle (I don't have a carbon one), inflation bag, and 1.5 pounds for my PFD). Which seems like a lot but when you consider you can do trip where you are not carrying that weight much of the time or even a 1/3 the time the extra weight QUICKLY become worth it.

If I can haul a 2 15 pound raft plus 2 pound paddle in 3 miles to just get to where I start floating or a single 15 pound raft 35 miles in, I am sure you can swing the extra weight of a Denali Llama with real paddles and PFD.

2 rafts, 2 pumps, 2 18 packs of Coors....The EMR 2 is pretty much Noah's Ark and things come in 2X2 :)

About 20 miles in on a on a 35 mile rafting approach with the 15 pound raft on my back:

Or heck what about 2 17 pound rafts and a 15 pound raft and 2 sets of paddles plus misc gear? :)

Not trying to discourage you at all, I just want to see you be happy with your purchase and I VERY much believe the Scout would leave you wanting.

Last edited:
OP
Where's Bruce?
After talking to folks it appears the Yukon Yak is the ideal model for a guy my size hauling a 75lb pack. $1320 w/ seat, backrest, pack lash kit, the spray deck and paddles, 7lbs, 6ozs complete. Guaranteed not to pop on rocks or tree branches. Takes 2 minutes to inflate.

[video=youtube;bUuU8pCSCGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUuU8pCSCGA[/video]

This is a spray deck:

1313209135_47247.jpg

WebARllama.jpg

Size comparison to the Scout...pretty roomy right? (Scout on right, Yukon Yak on left)

img_8303.jpg

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
yeah, buy at least 6 ea loop-discs from Alpacka and glue those onto the bow and stern for load security. When you're heavy with pack loads you'll appreciate being able to lock them in place. The only beef I have with the Yak is the stern design being different than the bow. There are many situations on skinny rivers where you'll want to approach a tight turn going in stern first so you can power out of a tricky corner...that Yak's stern is a bitch of a plow in those scenarios.

I'm an average 6-ft tall 200-lb mortal and have paddled a lot of Alpacka's...my all time favs are the Explorer and Denali lama.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Where's Bruce....when my wife and I both used Alpacka's I had the Denali Llama and she had the Yukon Yak. We upsized as we planned on having large 75 pound packs on our boats when we go at times. My wife is 5'3 and more than 100 pounds less than you, and in a boat like the Yukon Yak 100 pounds is a HUGE difference. I think you'd be much better served by the Denali Llama. Only 4 oz more and you get 4" more leg room which makes a HUGE difference on long float trips. Like I said I am roughly 60 pounds lighter and I ran the Denali Llama with no problems and was glad for the more space.

Uploaded this pic to give some size reference:

The lady in this pic is 5'3 130ish pounds and the pack is about 45-50 pounds. Imagine another 100 plus pounds of person and 25-30 pounds of pack weight on this craft.

It will "work" but if you are spending the money and the weight penalty is so small I think the Denali Llama would be the setup that would work best for your needs.

Last edited:
Or heck what about 2 17 pound rafts and a 15 pound raft and 2 sets of paddles plus misc gear? :)

Is that the whip snake 500,000?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
To many toys and adventures, to little money and time... ;)
I'd like to get a Pioneer X Stream and a Big Rig/PR49. Be the perfect combo for what I would use them for.

gmajor

WKR
I've been looking at the Yukon Yak for awhile, but I'm 5'8" 155. At your size I think I'd get the Denali Llama. If this was strictly for whitewater and not for hauling, I'd guess you'd be able to get away with the Yukon, but I certainly don't have the first hand experience Luke has.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Can't remember which model I had, I think it was an unrigged Fjord Explorer. It was great that it was light weight, but it was a chore to paddle on the lakes. They don't track very well at all and you do a lot of waggling trying to go in a straight line. I used it for a fall bear hunt near POW. You have to overlook a lot of issues to get the 5# if you are running Alpackas in a lake. If I needed a lightweight hunting raft again I would be all over that PR-49.

Beendare

WKR
While on the subject- to anyone who has used these.....

is this PR-49 your choice for a float trip for moose in Ak?

Is the 850# weight rating on the PR-49 accurate?

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
Im pretty sure Larry has some video floating a moose down a river in one. Personally, it wouldn't be my first choice.