Skin on or skin off when field dressing Elk?

rayporter

WKR
In the place I'm thinking of, I learned to first always carry the gut-pile minimum 20+ yards away!
moving the guts on elk and moose is not particularly practical.

that is why many do not remove the guts.
like the pic above by cnelk where he split it up the belly but left the guts in. you can also split it down the back and do the same thing. tenders come out last.

i have done it several ways and now i just cut off a leg and hang it then cut off another leg and hang it. the hide can now be peeled down to get the straps and neck meat. roll over and repeat.

now if i am packing on my back or keeping in camp for days i will then peel the hide off the legs. if going on the horse right away i will peel the hide when i get it off the horse at truck.

Jethro

WKR
My first cut is around the hock, split / skin down to the EoS, skin around the hind quarter, up the belly, and down the ribs to the spine.

This gives me a nice place to lay the quarters after removing before getting them into a game bag.
I may try that next deer. I always start base of neck and do down spine to the tail.

In Sept I killed a cow elk at 1pm. Gutless, skinned, quartered, bagged, and was packing out a front, the heart, and loins/straps at 5pm :ROFLMAO:. True story.

My overnight meat cache.

IMG_3222.jpeg

ID_Matt

WKR
I have always skinned as I quartered like most probably do. This last trip, the guy I was with went straight through the hide and cut quarters of with the hide on. We had 4 guys in total so it actually worked faster because as soon as he would hack a quarter off, the next guy would skin it. I think we had the elk completely done in less than an hour and a half. I would consider doing that if I had multiple guys with me to speed it up, but it definitely is hard on a knife to cut through hide like that.

cnelk

WKR
Cutting through the elk hide definitely takes the sharpness off the edge, especially when going through the long neck hair with all the dirt and grime collected there.

Thats why I like to end up my skinning/quartering at the neck.

There isn’t a right or wrong way to do it, just be proficient in your way.