Alpaca wool is better than merino.....

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes tea , vinegar, Epson salt
warm water and one of the above soak will detoxify your feet from bacteria and fungus , the main reason why feet stink, wool is anti bacterial and fungal which helps , but if your feet are toxic they will still smell
Thank you for the tip.

GoatPackr

WKR
Aside from smell alpaca is far better insulation than Marino wool regardless of what it's used to make.
Kris

I wear Darn Tough socks exclusively, daily. I have a drawer full of them. Never noticed any odor whatsoever. But yep, they do wear out and I send a shipment every year back to Darn Tough on warranty. They issue a credit which I use to order more socks. Can’t ask for better service on a garment. Life customer here.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I just tried a pair of Alpaca socks and they are fuzzy and worn out looking after one day wearing around the house.

I really can’t imagine these things surviving actual use.

nphunter

WKR
I’ve never had any issues with Darn Tough, over a week in one pair without stinking and i wear them daily and have been for 10+ years. Out of two dozen pairs I bought 10yrs ago I probably still have 15 pairs left. I’ve worn a few holes in them in that time, dogs have chewed them and I’ve lost some. IMO they have far exceeded my expectation of any sock.

I’ve worn Grip6 socks daily now for 3 years. Still in amazing shape. I’ll wear the same pair at least 2 days in a row letting them air out at night. Best socks I’ve ever had and I have darn tough as well and I think Grip6 blow them out of the water. USA made with USA sheep. When hunting, I’ll wear them about 3- 4 days with very little odor at all on day 4.

Radford

FNG
I am gonna have to try alpaca socks now. I’m wearing darn tough socks right now and my feet are sweating just sitting in the recliner. My other 100% wool socks don’t have that problem but I would like to try alpaca.

Psalmon

FNG
I really don’t think socks are a cure all though your foot wear plays a big part of it too. Application of the two part system boot/shoe and sock. I’ve had mixed wool socks work good in breathable leather boots but, the same sock in rubber boots they will clear a room under a day. Just finding a system that works for you is best. Experiment a little.

curtyj23

FNG
I hear you! I bought a pair from a mom and pop store who raises Alpacas and makes there socks and everything right there onsite. Wore them for 8 days straight last year on an elk hunt and never once felt crusty, sticky or had any sort of odor and my feet get horrible after about 2 days. I couldn't believe it. I made the switch and drove 2 1/2 hours back and bought 3 more pairs for this year. Blew my mind.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if it has been pointed out yet but here is my 2cents.
There is a real difference in the fibers. Alpaca is a hollow fiber versus the solid fiber of wool hair. The hollow alpaca hair will wick far more moisture with capillary action and can store more insulating air than wool. This is why a thinner pair of alpaca socks can be as warm as a thick pair of wool socks. Both Wool and Alpaca have a rough jagged exterior surface which inhibits the growth of bacteria the same way rough jagged terrain slows us down in the back country. Nylon and polyester have smooth exterior surfaces. This makes it very easy terrain for bacteria to spread, hence the funk.
Alpaca is often more akin to standard wool in ichiness than Merino wool and to get around that Alpaca needs quite a bit of processing to soften it.

People just need to pick the % that work for their application. Loose fitting boots, heal lift in boot, dry cracked feet - a higher nylon count/lower wool count will hold up better. Personally I find 85% wool to be the best balance for me in durability and warm/anti-funk. Different lacing techniques can cure the heal lift and many people could benefit, or at least the sock life would benefit, from a belt sander or pedicure.

100% natural fibers can be warmer, last longer without funk but I hate socks that fall down so 3% spandex is a requirement like cruise control on a new vehicle. A little bit of nylon will also make the fabric more tear resistant and act more like ripstop fabric.

For comparison a 55% merino thick heavy sock from Costco is just as warm as a 27% alpaca compression sock from Paca's. When it is really cold I go for my 100% Alpaca socks from Sabamba. While not my first choice of foot wear, I can wear these in air vented summer sneakers during the winter and even thoroughly wet in the snow my feet will still be quite comfortable. My preferred socks are from Farm to Feet for basic wool socks that are high wool count and quite durable.

I wear wool on my skin year round. FirstLite boxers all year, merino t-shirt under uniform if below 60* outside. No deodorant needed with merino wool shirt but with a synthetic or cotton shirt, sure thing. In fact I get far less miles (yes I measure my consumable cloths in mile) out of wool shirt if I wear deodorant a it seems to clog the wool and not allow it to breath and move against my skin. The armpits fabric wears thru really fast., When I take my boots and socks off at night I roll the socks off inside out and lay them over the top of my boot to air out.
35% wool socks are good for one day, funky on day 2.
55% are good for 3 days so 2 pair for the week. Typically Costco or Darn tough
85% wool are good for 7+ days. Typically FirstLite compression or Farm to Feet
27% Alpaca is a 1-3 day sock
100% Alpaca is far too warm for me most of the year but is good for 7+ days as well if allowed to dry out at night.
I just pick a thinner loft of fabric for summer over winter and never so thick if gets compressed inside my footwear.

Height of a sock is very important too. Socks should come up out of the footwear to dry out. Meaning there should be some sock above the top of the boot or shoe. I hear somewhere the average person sweats 1/3 cup of water a day WITHTOUT exertion. A cotton sock with hold water but does not wick it anywhere. The wool and more so the alpaca will wick the moisture into the fabric (off the skin) but also if the sock is out the top of the boot it will wick it up wards to dry out in the air. Wearing too short of sock with actually result in sweatier feet sealed inside the boot.

Remember though a low wool count garment will still look like a garment after most of the wool is worn out of the fabric. Cheap fabrics us the trash scraps that are held together in the fabric by the other materials versus actual 1st quality yarn sewn in. A Smart wool T-shirt for instance will still be a decent looing t-shirt after much use but when compared to a new one, the loft of the wool is long gone and the warm difference is quite noticeable. Cheap wool but still buy them if on a really good sale. The point is the good wool will fall out of a fabric and you will loose the warms, anti-funk and wicking natures of the fabric over time.

PS Bit of a sock snob because as a FedEx Driver my feet are crucial

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What do you like with these types more?

Feet stay drier, and they seem to last longer.

First time with the Yak this last week. They are very soft, warm- but like camel wool don’t overheat your feet, and always feel much drier than merino. Alpaca is great, however my samples haven’t lasted as long.

The alpaca and yak seem like better sock material to me too. I have some but my feet run hot and sweat alot so I only really wear the super thin ones most the year here in the PNW. The thick ones i got will be great for extreme cold weather tho!

Rokbar

WKR
Years ago I had bought some dalgren brand alpaca 2nds from a flea market. Some of the best socks I ever had. Wish I could find more of them.

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Pacas brand socks pretty much daily, workout in them etc and love them. Also have merino socks from smartwool, crispi, and black ovis. The Pacas hold up well and usually have a 30% off code that works