Alpaca wool is better than merino.....

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to share an interesting story.

I wear wok boots and wear them in trenches, mud and literally shit... for my day job.

My feet has never stunk, no matter how wet, or sweaty they become.

Typiccaly for work I wear just regular Cotton boot socks.

The last couple years, for hunting purposes. I splurged and bought some merino wool socks from kenetrek.

I put them on and wore them around for day hunts and cold weather hunts locally. They were very nice, and extremely comfortable.

Went on a 7 day hunt and took them along with one extra pair. To make a long story short after day two they smelled like the bowels of hell. not sure why, but they were hung outside the tent eveynight after that.

Just got done with Day 7 of some Alpaca socks that was ordered from purelyalpaca.com Not an odor one. Nothing, they feel the same as day one.

Truly impressed. and highly recommend them.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Kenetrek uses less than 35% “merino” wool in their socks from my recollection.

You need to get an accurate representation of a good quality 100% merino sock, with actual good quality merino wool to truly compare.

Most “merino” wool socks that guys buy and use are garbage.

Ucsdryder

WKR
My feet never smell. I wear merino head to toe and can go a week with zero BO. But 1 day after hiking with darn tough socks and my feet stink bad! I don’t get it.

Catchfish

WKR
All the merino socks are not the same you really do have to look at what the product is made of. Manufacturers will sell a version that is 100% merino wool and offer models that are not 100% merino wool. Really need to read tags, the products that are not 100% will stink, some are treated with anti microbial stuff but that wears away in use “my opinion”. Often these products are used for other reasons sometimes they make the socks tighter, or wick moisture differently.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I wore (Hollow Fleece, I believe) Alpaca socks in NZ this June (winter) much thinner sock than I have normally used and were the warmest socks I've tried. Very soft, like cashmere. I still like my thicker Darn Tough wool socks, but I think I'll get some more Alpaca to try.

Darn Tough has quite a bit of nylon in it, which of course contributes to durability, with some noted downsides.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I can wear Darn Tough socks for several days with no funk. I have not tested them for a week.

kkp005

WKR
I have worn darn tough in the past. I work in the melt shop part of a steel mill so it’s an extremely hot and sweaty environment.. I can’t get the darn toughs to last very long. The heels wear thin after just a few weeks

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I have worn darn tough in the past. I work in the melt shop part of a steel mill so it’s an extremely hot and sweaty environment.. I can’t get the darn toughs to last very long. The heels wear thin after just a few weeks
Wow, my Darn Tough last for several years. But, I don’t work in a steel mill.

z987k

WKR
As said above, a lot of wool socks are blended with a synthetic. So are shirts btw. These are garbage.
100% merino or don't waste your money.

In military and wear Darn Tough merino daily for years upon years Without replacing.

Hot sweaty sandy tropical snowy - you name enviro they’ve worked.

So yes I don’t wear anything but Darn. But- I would like to try alpaca to see how the durability is and if they hold up to sniff test after 3-5 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S-3 ranch

WKR
I have gotten rid of cotton socks and underwear
alpaca , merino, bamboo, silk socks
armochillo underware from DTC

soak y’all’s feet in tea

“”Soaking your feet in strong black tea for 30 minutes a day for a week can help. The acid in the tea kills the bacteria and closes the pores, keeping your feet dry longer. Use two tea bags per pint of water. Boil for 15 minutes, then add two quarts of cool water.”

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I have gotten rid of cotton socks and underwear
alpaca , merino, bamboo, silk socks
armochillo underware from DTC

soak y’all’s feet in tea

“”Soaking your feet in strong black tea for 30 minutes a day for a week can help. The acid in the tea kills the bacteria and closes the pores, keeping your feet dry longer. Use two tea bags per pint of water. Boil for 15 minutes, then add two quarts of cool water.”
Does this really work?

I think I read somewhere that for you to actually start seeing the merino wool benefits a garment needs to be 65% wool or better.
I've got a few pair of darn tough and Duluth coolerino socks. They'll start to pickup smells after a day or two hiking. I've got a pair of danner wool socks that I believe are like 73% wool, never have a problem with smell after 4-5 days of wear.

Am I the only one who doesn’t really care how my socks smell? They’re wrapped tight in a leather boot most of the day. The rest of me stinks after a few days so if I’m not playing the wind, I don’t think it’s my socks that gave me away. As long as my feet stay comfortable and they don’t get an immediate hole in them, they work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk