ALONE-FROZEN- AND STUPID

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
my favorite one (cant remember what season it was) they showed a guy at a cookout with his buddies, and one buddy says something like "watch out for them bears" and the contestant jokingly says something like "man if i see any bear they better be afraid of me" or something to that effect.

Then he gets dropped off, sees bear poop and maybe he seen one bear and taps out within the first couple hours of being dropped LOL

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Reality TV is anything but. People who are cast are not necessarily done for who is the “best” to win; it’s more often done for whose “best” for ratings.

While some things are real, there’ll also be some things staged to “draw” the audience in.

I was never a fan of reality TV, but living and working in and around Fairbanks gave me a whole new perspective on the silliness.

I once had a producer type come out of the woods and ask my buddy and I if we could take a break from grading our driveway because the skid steer motor was messing up the scene they were filming where some "starving" guy finally catches a grayling out of a relatively suburban reach of the Chena.

I've also been approached and asked if I wanted to play a hostile rival miner in another Alaskan reality show. I was loading up my rusty truck after grouse hunting and the producer waved their arms at my rig and my gear and said "all this is perfect". I declined because it kinda hurt my feelings that they just saw me doing my thing and tried to cast me as a bad guy in what sounded like PG-rated Alaskan version of Deliverance.

I think Alone is a lot more legitimate than most shows. I had never seen it until some coworkers were talking about it and told me a guy from Idaho named Clay Hayes won. I had met Clay at some wildlife conferences and had been a big fan of his bowyer books and videos for a long time.

Even if Alone is more legit than the rest, there's still producers stacking the deck to ensure good drama. I think for every guy like Clay, the producers also deliberately pick several incompetent loose cannons. Most prime time television viewers enjoy watching someone freeze for a week then have a mental breakdown much more than they enjoy watching a guy like Clay happily persisting and passing his time doing masterwork cabinetry with a Leatherman.

Reactions: wyo

Yoder

WKR
The woman who made it 87 days and got pulled for frostbite on her toes is a badass.

my favorite one (cant remember what season it was) they showed a guy at a cookout with his buddies, and one buddy says something like "watch out for them bears" and the contestant jokingly says something like "man if i see any bear they better be afraid of me" or something to that effect.

Then he gets dropped off, sees bear poop and maybe he seen one bear and taps out within the first couple hours of being dropped LOL
I remember that guy, I legit LOL'd when they played that footage of him telling his family that.

Its like the Mountain Men show. Half the people on there live within a couple miles of paved roads and a couple miles from town. Its all designed for people that think roughing it is having more than one tree in your yard.

It doubles the audience by doing it. You get the people that dont have a clue that watch it because its hard and you get people that do have a clue that watch it for the joke it is.
I remember watching one show, I think it was the one with the Jewel's parents, and all the talk about "surviving" out there. I looked up the details and they lived within about 15 miles of a McDonalds or something like that. I cannot stand any reality show crap.

I did like the season with Clay. Ive watched a couple of them. It's mildly entertaining. Gets boring pretty quick when you try and binge it.

Trial153

WKR
I don’t see the need to get on here and bash people who are trying to accomplish something, even if it’s not something you value. Shallowness like that says more about you than them.

Last edited:

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
Lugging around a camera is what would cause me to tap out. Plus it would be like watching a silent movie. I don't talk to my wife so I dang sure am not spilling my guts to a camera.

TheTone

WKR
Alone seems like a great place for people to develop their social media cred to become just another influencer selling you something and contributing nothing

Yep, even my wife made a comment about that guy! He didn't last a single night. He saw bear poop and decided that entering the "Food Chain" and not being the "Top of the Chain " was not a good idea.

I am not too big on being a bear meal myself, LOL! That's why I carry a firearm!