Alliant Powder (RL) Rumors...

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen here and on other forums rumors that Alliant is quitting the civilian powder market. Rather than participate in the rumor mill I decided to reach out to Alliant direct via email. Here's the exchange:

Me:

Hi, I’d like to set the story straight on various online hand loading forums - Is Alliant getting out of the consumer (handloading) powder business permanently? Thanks.

Alliant's Response:

Brad - No we are making powders and powders for civilian use as well.

Currently the bulk of the issue with powder (all powder companies) is the Lack of Nitrocellulose. Nitrocellulose is a key component in double base powders. All our powders are double base. The shortage of Nitrocellulose is caused from supply and demand. There are only two suppliers that manufacture Nitrocellulose. One out of the two currently shut down for the foreseeable future. Causing our current shortage.

TxLite

WKR
There are only two suppliers that manufacture Nitrocellulose. One out of the two currently shut down for the foreseeable future. Causing our current shortage.
I am pretty uninformed when it comes to nitrocellulose production. But can they not just switch suppliers?

IMG_8739.png

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
2cb25b09-b6bc-42cd-8189-7a23d832f615_text.gif

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
I cannot stop thinking about Christmas Vacation…

“You couldn’t hear a dump truck driving through a nitro glycerin plant.”

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen here and on other forums rumors that Alliant is quitting the civilian powder market. Rather than participate in the rumor mill I decided to reach out to Alliant direct via email. Here's the exchange:

Me:

Hi, I’d like to set the story straight on various online hand loading forums - Is Alliant getting out of the consumer (handloading) powder business permanently? Thanks.

Alliant's Response:

Brad - No we are making powders and powders for civilian use as well.

Currently the bulk of the issue with powder (all powder companies) is the Lack of Nitrocellulose. Nitrocellulose is a key component in double base powders. All our powders are double base. The shortage of Nitrocellulose is caused from supply and demand. There are only two suppliers that manufacture Nitrocellulose. One out of the two currently shut down for the foreseeable future. Causing our current shortage.
Great info, Brad. Thanks for sharing.

Pro953

WKR
I am pretty uninformed when it comes to nitrocellulose production. But can they not just switch suppliers?

View attachment 762896

It’s my understanding it’s compounded in many different forms as it’s used in a ton of different industries. It’s not like ordering a tote of sugar. Getting a manufacturer to retool any make a different form is likely an expensive and high risk proposition. Also the recreational market is a drop in the bucket vs the military supply market and depending on where that manufacturer is located selling material for military use likely opens the door to a lot regulatory and political scrutiny.

If your business is successful selling a different form to other industries, i doubt the idea is super appealing. Let’s face it powder is a small market compared to paint, commercial construction components, cosmetics or many other industries that use these components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk