All-time favorite Sub Gauge Upland Bird hunting Gun?

My primary shotgun is a Franchi Instinct L 20 ga. Nice enough but cheap enough I don't worry about the dings and rust.

I don't view 20 ga as much of a sub gauge. For upland hunting, it's never inadequate and rarely a disadvantage. For a majority of upland hunting, a 28 GA would probably work well. You can use a 12 ga all your life, but it's usually not needed.

I will admit that factory ammo selection the last four years has favored the 12, however.

Weldor

WKR
I agree, sure there would be more users if the price was lower on the 28 ga. shells same with 16 and 410. I went back to the 12 just because shells are way cheaper.

Macintosh

WKR
I dont really distinguish between gauges as much as I distinguish between guns that are heavier vs lighter, and faster handling versus more “stable” handling. Someone above mentioned a brit double 12ga with 2.5” chambers…even though it’s not a “subgauge” it is lighter and faster-handling than many of the 28-ga guns folks have mentioned in this thread, and its made to shoot more or less the equivalent of a modern 7/8 or 1oz 20-ga shell. My favorite subgauge I mentioned earlier in this thread is a 1960’s 20ga beretta O/U that, again, weighs less and handles faster than most modern 28ga guns. Not for the sporting clays course or the duck blind, where Id prefer a heavier and more stable gun, but to me these are ideal for one-handing through endless popple and alder tangles while you part the brush with your other hand. Agree that if you have such a gun, stepping down in cartridge size is more a novelty than it is functional.

IMG_0940.jpeg

Weldor

WKR
My Dad's favorite was a early 70's Winchester 101 skeet/skeet 20 gauge 3" chambers. Super light and easy to carry.