Alberta Sheep Hunt Gear List

ljalberta

WKR
Looking good. If you want to cut out a full set of clothes, you can ditch the packed base layers and boxers and just sleep in your clothes.

If you want a freshen up on the clothes you can give them a creek wash on a nice day.

I used to sleep in a dedicated set of sleeping base layers each night, but ultimately, oils and dirt still get in the bag and you gotta wash it anyway. I’ve since gone to sleeping in my main clothes in the bag. The bonus is you’re ready quick in the morning and any wet clothes dry out overnight.

Wrongside

WKR
Leaving in the morning . Can not wait to be in the mountains looking for Sheep. Good luck to everyone else.
Good luck Mike! Enjoy the time and stay safe.

Just got back from 8 days in the sheep mountains. It was awesome. Have a few more long weekend sheep trips planned. Can’t wait…

OP
dirtshooter

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
We're back but no sheep. Lots of sheep sign but just couldn't find them. 3 grizzlies a black bear and a moose.

Snapped one of my cascade mountain tech costco trekking poles on day 2 so we had brace it with sticks and tape. Totally returning them monday lol. Kenetrek gaiters, one broke a buckle. Mountain Hardware Lamina is too tight for me as I like to side sleep, less chance of snoring. Klymit pad is too narrow and damn did it slide on buddies tent nest. I need a sleep system for the side sleeper/toss n turn sleeper.

It was a good trip regardless and I got to test my gear and test my wife's freeze dried meals she made me.

Looking forward to the next one

45-70govt

FNG
Always a good time and learn more every time. Glad to hear you had a good trip. I'm headed out here on Tuesday in Alberta also - 3rd year now, still havent come across a legal one but a guys gear and list gets more and more refined every time!

OP
dirtshooter

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Maven CS1 angled spotter for this trip and I think it did well. The bear in these screen shots was 2900 yards away.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240915_145624_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240915_145624_Gallery.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20240915_145208_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240915_145208_Gallery.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20240915_145153_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240915_145153_Gallery.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 13
OP
dirtshooter

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Always a good time and learn more every time. Glad to hear you had a good trip. I'm headed out here on Tuesday in Alberta also - 3rd year now, still havent come across a legal one but a guys gear and list gets more and more refined every time!
Good luck, part of me feels like going back out this year but I doubt my buddy has more time off. Thought of a solo trip lol

We also used an msr pocket rocket and pot instead of a jetboil flash. No one dumped any pots but I feel like we used a lot of fuel compared to what a jetboil would use.

45-70govt

FNG
We also used an msr pocket rocket and pot instead of a jetboil flash. No one dumped any pots but I feel like we used a lot of fuel compared to what a jetboil would use.
Ive been seeing alot of people taking that route to cut down on weight but not sure that the increase in fuel required, especially later in the season is worth it. Jetboil works so good im hesitant to try anything else.

See how this trip goes, headed out for 6 days. If we cant lock anything in might do a weekend or two in October as a last ditch if the weather cooperates.

Solo is its own beast for sure, especially in sheep country. Hopefully you get back out one more time.

ljalberta

WKR
We're back but no sheep. Lots of sheep sign but just couldn't find them. 3 grizzlies a black bear and a moose.

Snapped one of my cascade mountain tech costco trekking poles on day 2 so we had brace it with sticks and tape. Totally returning them monday lol. Kenetrek gaiters, one broke a buckle. Mountain Hardware Lamina is too tight for me as I like to side sleep, less chance of snoring. Klymit pad is too narrow and damn did it slide on buddies tent nest. I need a sleep system for the side sleeper/toss n turn sleeper.

It was a good trip regardless and I got to test my gear and test my wife's freeze dried meals she made me.

Looking forward to the next one
I’ve broken a bunch of those Costco poles now. They’re still the best value option, but I bring Black Diamond Carbon Cork poles on my sheep hunts now. It’s worth nothing that any carbon pole can snap if it’s gets caught and torqued in the rocks though.

I bring warmer insulation and sleeping gear just in case the weather drops. And a 25” wide pad is a difference maker. Check out the Xtherm. And whatever pad you buy, just puts some silicon on the bottom and it will grip your tent floor.

if you’re seeing sheep sign, you’re close.

OP
dirtshooter

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Returned the poles, honestly thinking of just buying new costco poles and hoping they won't break but yes they went down a hole in the shale and I slipped and it snapped. $240 for Black Diamond Carbon Cork poles is about $200 more than the CMTs haha.

We left a day early as heavy rain was in the forecast but I feel we just ran out of time. We have a new spot we want to try.

@ljalberta do you have a list of your sheep gear you'd share?