Alberta Sheep Hunt Gear List

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, my friend has invited me on an OTC sheep hunt here in our home Alberta.
Since it will be my first ever backcountry hunt I am looking for Rokslide to provide any and call criticism and suggestions.

Walking in, rifle hunt, early Sept, 7 days.

Gear list:

Capture.jpg

Items with a ? or highlighted I am unsure if they are needed. He's providing the shelter, also has a nice Kowa spotter. We recently bought a freeze drier so I am hoping to make some meals up, if not I will just buy some. Some might laugh at "nail clippers and face lotion" but if I have small skin tears around my nails they drive me nuts until I can clip them off before they rip even more and I get pretty dry skin around my nose/eyes so a week of that would also drive me nuts so I am willing to pack a small bottle to keep my sanity.

As for puffy jackets and pants I own a few puffy jackets - Arc'teryx LEAF Fusion, Kifaru LLP, Firstlite Woodbury (probably too heavy), Firstlite Uncompahgre, OR Transcendent. As for puffy pants only got one pair and they are the matching LEAF fusions to the jacket.

I don't have a glassing pad but I think I may need to find a cheap one. I basically already own 90% of the things on the list and since this is my first trip I'm looking to avoid buying more than I need to. I will need to buy trekking poles, a dry bag, and food.

Thanks in advance

IBen

WKR
You wont need a solar charger for 7 days
For your dry bag get one that will double as a pillow
All you need is a section of foam pad for glassing pad surely your buddy has some laying around
Leatherman is 8+oz id leave it.
I would recommend separate tents.

OP
dirtshooter

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
You wont need a solar charger for 7 days
For your dry bag get one that will double as a pillow
All you need is a section of foam pad for glassing pad surely your buddy has some laying around
Leatherman is 8+oz id leave it.
I would recommend separate tents.
Thanks for the reply. I will check my power bank and see how many days it lasts and how many charges I can get with regular use and I assume I won't use my phone much in those 7 days.

That's a good idea for a dual use with the dry bag. I was just thinking of a sea to summit or pelican bag.

I may even have an old camping foamy I can chop or a kneeling pad from work.

Yeah the Leatherman isn't light that's for sure. It was more so the saw blade and pliers I was interested in. May have started to pack my "what ifs" there haha.

I have a Seek Redcliff though it seems quite large for one guy. My friend just bought an ML Supermid tent he's excited to use.

6.5x284

WKR
I’d ditch 10 rounds, sling, leatherman, deodorant. I’d share a filtration system, I’d bring a 10-20k battery bank instead of solar, be sure to use airplane mode. I’d bring my own tripod for binos but would share a spotter.

You’re fine sharing a supermid but bring ear plugs in case he snores. Whoever doesn’t have the water filtration system I’d have bring a light tarp if weather looks bad. I never use long John’s on my legs with puffy pants in the pack but I’m sure others do. Yes to a pillow system or some kind.

My personal opinion is black diamond alpine carbon corks are the trekking poles all others are measured against.

Enjoy the trip!

Last edited:
I would ditch the puffy pants, and either the merino baselayers or the Sitka long underwear. You do not need both. Ditch the leatherman as well, use your puffy in a stuff sack for a pillow. Have a plan for who shoots first, and consider just taking one rifle. Not sure how far you are walking in but if a Ram comes out with you it is a heavy load. Try to figure out 2 uses for everything you carry and cut out all duplicates you can. As posted above sharing water filtration ,spotting scope ,possibly shelter with a partner cuts weight as well. Going to the hills this year as well, will be designated packer as I shot a Ram last fall. Good luck.

Lgraham

FNG
just mentioned this on another thread but add in two heavy duty contractor trash bags to your kill kit. Will help keep meat cool in a stream if temps are hot with a long pack out. Plus you can also use them as a tarp to help keep meat clean (place to lay quarters) if you kill in a spot without a spot to lay out meat.

Looks pretty solid. I'd bring rain paints. Forget the pocket knife, pack the Leatherman in your bino harness. No need for the solar panel, if you're worried about power bring two power packs. Good luck,

OP
dirtshooter

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys for all the responses. I've been looking and changing my list over the last week and a bit and I think I may have made progress haha.

I don't own rain pants so I didn't include them on the list as it was one more thing to buy and the Arc'teryx LEAF Fusion pants are pretty water resistant. They'll double as a puffy pant and water resistant pant and I will be rewaxing my fjallraven pants. I have dropped the long underwear. I'm taking my Kifaru LPP as the puffy jacket, Helly Hansen Impertech rain jacket.

I can't decide on a water bladder. I have been looking at either the Sea to Summit 4L or the Hydrapak 3L, costs are similar. We're sharing a filter but I am bringing some tabs because they are light enough to carry as a just in case.

Going with the stuff sack clothing pillow idea, that's a great one. Waiting for a dyneema bag to come back in stock at a vendor up here. Same with the glassing pad and dry bag.

Agreed that the leatherman is more useful than a pocketknife, though it is heavier than the knife I carry every day.

I have a 10500mAh battery pack, I got 3 charges 15%-80% on my phone out of it so I should be able to get a week in airplane mode, taking pictures and using inreach.

As of right now my Nikon ED50 with the 27x eyepiece really wouldn't be worth bringing so I removed that as well.

Dirtshooter, not sure where you are in the Province but check out Geartrade in Okotoks. has everything you could possibly need and a lot of stuff I just want LOL. Geartrade.ca

OP
dirtshooter

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Dirtshooter, not sure where you are in the Province but check out Geartrade in Okotoks. has everything you could possibly need and a lot of stuff I just want LOL. Geartrade.ca
I've been looking there, just need some things to come back in stock and I'll be swiping the card lol. I'm up near Edmonton.

ljalberta

WKR
I think lots have been covered. Generally, I’d bring less clothes and one rifle to share. But keep an eye on that forecast. There’s been some seriously cold weather and massive snowstorms that have pushed people out in previous years in early September.

I actually bring a dedicated pillow. I sleep much better with it than a stuff sack or puffy for the head at night. And it’s worth the couple ounces for the additional deep rest.

Wrongside

WKR

Big +1 for Geartrade. They’re good people and awesome to deal with. If he doesn’t have it, he will probably order it in for you.

OP
dirtshooter

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys think crocs are worth bringing along? I don't own any but seems a lot of guys have them

No. I hunt all day and when I get back to camp eat supper as soon as it is ready then sit around for maybe 20 minutes and climb in my sleeping bag. For me they would fall in the "extra weight " category.

medvedyt

WKR
Thanks guys for all the responses. I've been looking and changing my list over the last week and a bit and I think I may have made progress haha.

I don't own rain pants so I didn't include them on the list as it was one more thing to buy and the Arc'teryx LEAF Fusion pants are pretty water resistant. They'll double as a puffy pant and water resistant pant and I will be rewaxing my fjallraven pants. I have dropped the long underwear. I'm taking my Kifaru LPP as the puffy jacket, Helly Hansen Impertech rain jacket.

I can't decide on a water bladder. I have been looking at either the Sea to Summit 4L or the Hydrapak 3L, costs are similar. We're sharing a filter but I am bringing some tabs because they are light enough to carry as a just in case.

Going with the stuff sack clothing pillow idea, that's a great one. Waiting for a dyneema bag to come back in stock at a vendor up here. Same with the glassing pad and dry bag.

Agreed that the leatherman is more useful than a pocketknife, though it is heavier than the knife I carry every day.

I have a 10500mAh battery pack, I got 3 charges 15%-80% on my phone out of it so I should be able to get a week in airplane mode, taking pictures and using inreach.

As of right now my Nikon ED50 with the 27x eyepiece really wouldn't be worth bringing so I removed that as well.
did you keep at least one long underwear just in case?

Wrongside

WKR
No. I hunt all day and when I get back to camp eat supper as soon as it is ready then sit around for maybe 20 minutes and climb in my sleeping bag. For me they would fall in the "extra weight " category.
I like having camp shoes along, but don’t want the extra weight most of the time.
I still have black ovis Merino long underwear to sleep in. My plan was to sleep in Merino base layers instead of using a liner if it gets colder
Yeah. I usually pack at least a thin merino base layer. Also good for sleeping in. I prefer to sleep clothed anyway, and it helps keep sleep gear clean.

Do you guys think crocs are worth bringing along? I don't own any but seems a lot of guys have them
Definitely worth it. You should be airing your feet whenever you can and they are good when you have to get up for a leak from tent. Also streams can change height every year and great for crossing or even walking up creeks.

Ditch the pack cover, leather man, flashlight, deodorant. Puffy pants if you run cold. You need rain pants out here. Gaiters are not really necessary unless you will be going through lots of marshy area.

For water bladder lots of them leave a very rubbery taste. If you choose one make sure you test it. A few smart bottles is light, cheap and easy. No taste issues.

Last edited:
Yes on crocs. They weigh next to nothing and are a great relief/comfort piece when around camp, especially handy when your boots are soaked and need to dry out awhile

OP
dirtshooter

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like we are heading through some creeks along the way so crocs and gaiters will be on the list. Now I gotta buy some crocs. I found some decently cheap RAB rain pants with 3/4 length zippers for about $120cad.

I'm 99% sure I am taking a 1.5L smartwater bottle and I did buy the Sea to Summit watercell bladder Form lists in his gear dump.

I could dump the flashlight and take a duracell dual power headlamp that uses both a battery pack and AAAs and I'd likely never run out of light with that combo.

I can drop the pack cover and Leatherman (12oz for my particular model) deodorant has been dropped as well

Attached is where I am at now with my gear list lol. Yellow is a maybe? Green I gotta buy.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 11