Alaska sheep rifle build.

IDhunter0990

FNG
Classified Approved
Looking at building a sheep rifle for a Dall hunt in alaska. Trying to decide best route to go. 6.5 or 7mm? Anyone care to share there builds they have taken.

Just an aspiring sheep hunter here... I just went through the same dilemma in preparation of doing a AK hunt in the next few years. I decided on a Boswell Ti-SLR in 6.5PRC w/ a 20" barrel.

Decker9

WKR
I built one in each, 6.5 prc and a 7 saum. I like both equally, but both have a big drawback I learnt this season.

My only issue from either is building them on defiance actions. It’s a constant battle cleaning crud and water from my magazine and under my bolt due to the gap defiance has between their bolt and bolt raceways.

I don’t think you could go wrong with either cartridge depending on shot distance. I may build another but on a tikka this time.

fatbacks

WKR
Most calibers work. Sheep die pretty easily.

One suggestion would be to go with a chassis system. Having a folding stock is money. Easier to travel with, easier to strap on pack, easier to fit in your tent when it’s raining. Also, for me, way easier to shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am planning on next year. I don’t do custom rifles for several reasons, but I just put this together: Ridgeline FFT in 280 AI with hawkins rings and a trijicon tenmile 3-18x50. Will probably dump the harris and go with a backlanz bipod.

C9A3476A-03A1-41D6-8183-8A11413BE528.jpeg

LightFoot

WKR
I’m having my ultimate mountain rifle built as I write this. (McWhorter on a Borden Ti with Proof Sendero Lite)

Same dilemma between 6.5 and 7mm.

I ultimately decided 7mm because I want the extra ft. lbs. for elk and goat.

If it was only for sheep and deer, would have stuck with 6.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jhm2023

WKR
I'm partial to 7mm for all things mountain hunting and never once felt under gunned when shooting grizz either. That said I've done plenty critter shooting with 6.5CM and now carry a 6.5 PRC. Now I'm probably going to build a 7 PRC and hand the 6.5 down to the wife.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Disclaimer.. never hunted sheep, but learned a lesson the hard way (vicariously through my buddy)..

Go with a common caliber .. going out to Montana on an elk hunt.. his scope got knocked off BAD. So bad it took about 10 rounds to get back on paper .. much less getting it re-zeroed.

When was all said and done he only had 3 rounds left and no options for re-supply on his 7wsm

There was tons of 300 Win, 7mm RM, 308 ammo and oddly enough 6.5-284 ammo in local store.

I love the idea of taking my 300 SAUM .. but in the back of my head when the day comes I actually go on a sheep hunt.. gonna build a titanium 300 WM with a fast twist proof barrel

Full disclaimer.. i am eyeballing a 270 wsm lol

Disclaimer.. never hunted sheep, but learned a lesson the hard way (vicariously through my buddy)..

Go with a common caliber .. going out to Montana on an elk hunt.. his scope got knocked off BAD. So bad it took about 10 rounds to get back on paper .. much less getting it re-zeroed.

When was all said and done he only had 3 rounds left and no options for re-supply on his 7wsm

There was tons of 300 Win, 7mm RM, 308 ammo and oddly enough 6.5-284 ammo in local store.

I love the idea of taking my 300 SAUM .. but in the back of my head when the day comes I actually go on a sheep hunt.. gonna build a titanium 300 WM with a fast twist proof barrel

Should never take that many rounds to zero.

If you are by your self in the mountains too far away from anything and no paper…no buddy to spot etc…here is what you do:

Find an object like a rock or sand hill that you will see your impact etc at distance that is at least 5mils square. So at 300yds roughly 5ft or 600yds 10ft. Try to get at least 300yds out so you can see bullet impact better if you have a rifle with a heavy recoil impulse. Try your hardest to find a shooting lane that will have very little wind moving your bullet.

Next range a tree or some object to use as an aim point when you bore sight at exactly 100yds.

Then place your rifle in a position where it is extremely stable. Rocks if you have to…wedge it etc. so you can roll your turret and rifle won’t budge.

Pull your bolt and line the center of your bore up to the object at 100yds…helps if it’s light colored or small.

Then look through your scope and adjust your scope until the crosshairs is centered on the aim point. Do this many times until you feel good about it. This will typically get you within 2-3mils or 6-9” at 100yds.

Now let’s say your giant flat rock is 350yds from you. Look up your data at that range…1.2mil…ok now roll 1.2 mil of elevation on your rifle. Look at the wind. Make your best possible wind call. Hopefully you found a spot with no wind but even if full value at 10mph it will only be .5-.6…roughly 6”.

Get behind the rifle that is extremely solid and break a shot. Pay attention to the impact spot compared to point of aim. Measure and move your turret on your very stable rifle to point of impact.

Find a smaller aim point on that rock face or sand hill and break another shot. If the shot hits within your margin of error or where your gun typically groups you are done. Send another if you want to double check.

If you would feel better knowing it shot at your typical shot distance shoot one or two there to confirm. But if you have a good rifle and good fundamentals it’s done after a couple rounds.

schmalzy

WKR

I’d buy that 270wsm montana in the classifieds in a heartbeat.

That being said, I brought a 30-06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 prc is what i shoot and would be my choice. I've been shooting custom rifles for a little over 20 yrs. I'm always building something. I've built and own or sold.

300 norma mag
300win mag
300 ultra mag
300wsm
7mag
7stw
270 win.
6.5 prc
6.5 creedmoor

I'm sure i've missed a few. The 6.5 has been an absolute hammer on anything I've used it on. From deer to large african game 700lbs. Will take it on a bull elk hunt next month. It works, factory ammo is available, lapua brass if you handload, managable recoil, short action for a small weight savings. A .264 bullet is more than enough gun for sheep.

I'd only take a larger caliber if shooting at distances over 700yds on elk or brown bear hunting.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Should never take that many rounds to zero.

If you are by your self in the mountains too far away from anything and no paper…no buddy to spot etc…here is what you do:

Find an object like a rock or sand hill that you will see your impact etc at distance that is at least 5mils square. So at 300yds roughly 5ft or 600yds 10ft. Try to get at least 300yds out so you can see bullet impact better if you have a rifle with a heavy recoil impulse. Try your hardest to find a shooting lane that will have very little wind moving your bullet.

Next range a tree or some object to use as an aim point when you bore sight at exactly 100yds.

Then place your rifle in a position where it is extremely stable. Rocks if you have to…wedge it etc. so you can roll your turret and rifle won’t budge.

Pull your bolt and line the center of your bore up to the object at 100yds…helps if it’s light colored or small.

Then look through your scope and adjust your scope until the crosshairs is centered on the aim point. Do this many times until you feel good about it. This will typically get you within 2-3mils or 6-9” at 100yds.

Now let’s say your giant flat rock is 350yds from you. Look up your data at that range…1.2mil…ok now roll 1.2 mil of elevation on your rifle. Look at the wind. Make your best possible wind call. Hopefully you found a spot with no wind but even if full value at 10mph it will only be .5-.6…roughly 6”.

Get behind the rifle that is extremely solid and break a shot. Pay attention to the impact spot compared to point of aim. Measure and move your turret on your very stable rifle to point of impact.

Find a smaller aim point on that rock face or sand hill and break another shot. If the shot hits within your margin of error or where your gun typically groups you are done. Send another if you want to double check.

If you would feel better knowing it shot at your typical shot distance shoot one or two there to confirm. But if you have a good rifle and good fundamentals it’s done after a couple rounds.
Awesome. Thanks for the guidance

rope

FNG
I had GA Precision build a 6.5SAUM on a Mac Bros TI, in a Manners EH6a with a Bartlein 22"CF barrel, APA bottom metal and uses Accurate WSM mags.

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running a CA Ridgeline Titanium in 6.5 prc. Amazing to carry, shoot the lights out. I took a mature Stone this year with 129gr accubond LR. Exit wounds were around .50calibre size. Sheep die easy

I had been through a dozen cartridges and rifles (kimber, sako, custom 700)

This will be the last gun I own for sheep.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
For a dedicated sheep rifle I’d lean towards the 6.5PRC as well, but won’t really make a significant difference from a 7 SAUM or 280AI. I’ve used a 6.5 SAUM for sheep the last 5 years, a GA Precision and Lane Precision builds. Since the GAP build finished so heavy and the one Dallas built came in at 5.5lbs with McBris ti action, Manners stock and spiral fluted Bartlien barrel, it’s all I’ve taken to the sheep mountains. I want to build another sometime to delete the detach box mags. While the detachable mags are convenient unloading, I sure prefer blind mags on dedicated hunting rigs.

For a more classic mountain rifle, pretty hard to beat a NULA. Something like a 284Win or 308 for short action, or 280AI if going long action. Melvin built me a 6.5 PRC last year but I didn’t hold onto it since only holding 2x rounds in the blind mag. His rifles surely don’t have the fancy bling of carbon fibre wraps or milling or even much fluting, but they finish lite and flat out shoot. One of the above topped with a 2.5-8 Leupold would be about as light, handy, and durable a sheep rifle as anyone could ever hope for—just not a pretty.

Scopes are also where so much weight comes in. Ive made several ultralite rifles all but by mounting NF NXS 2.5-10x42‘s on them. Weigh less than my full-size NXS or NX8, but way more than simpler options like the Leupole 2.5-8.

I had a lust to try out one of Gunwerks rigs, and ultimately settled on the 6.5PRC Ti ClymR. It was a cool accurate rig, but just made myself laugh at all the design and engineering that went into shaving weight to undo it all with the honking 34mm tubed Leupold Mark5hd.

The new 6.5 PRC is a fantastic round but for an animal as hardy as a sheep I personally am taking a .300 PRC to mexico in two weeks for my desert ram hunt