Alaska Range Dall Sheep: My First Sheep Hunt

OP
JustOneMoreShot
Yuck! I don't want to sound like an Atty! They make my stomach turn!
To be very clear on my stance the animals are on public land and the mountains and clear streams are all of ours as citizens of the greatest nation on this planet. We all should be permitted to enjoy this great country and its wild places. Residents of the individual state should be given preference for the use of its state's resources.
Perhaps the state of Alaska should allow the first week or two of the season resident only hunting? This may still not solve the problem of access to the areas that the guides are trying to tie up and prevent others from getting at.
I would love to do another sheep or goat hunt however that one really took a lot out of me both emotionally and physically. I have a wife and children and have to think of them and try not end up hurt or worse.
Where are you looking to chase Stone? Good luck with that adventure and I can't wait to see the pictures when/if you go!

Stid2677

WKR
Where are you looking to chase Stone? Good luck with that adventure and I can't wait to see the pictures when/if you go!

Still in the planning and saving part, but they are not in that many places and with prices in the 40k range, I still need to save a while or sell an asset. I'm sure my Son would rather have 40K, but he will probably get a full body Stoney instead. :)

OP
JustOneMoreShot
The two guys from British Columbia who were in the camp with me had each harvested several Stones. They were pretty cool guys. I guess a perk for living in BC. They were trying to hustle home and get back to scouting and looking for a Bighorn.

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
JOMS,
Wow, what an epic story with highs and lows. Congrats on the ram. A real stunner! Unfortunately the guide was operating well beyond his ability to adequately take care of his clients. Maybe beyond the capacity of the area to supply a quality hunt too. As many from AK have commented here, the issue between resident/non-resident hunters is still there with respect to Dall Sheep. There is a solution to this but I'm afraid no one will like.

My first Alaskan hunt started off with the Maul losing a wheel on its second landing at base camp. I told the guide, who was in the wrecked plane, that this wasn't in the brochure. My wife didn't see those photos for two years................

Haha I know the pilot your talkin about, pretty funny. Im sure tom wasn't happy about it but at the end of the day he can't do crap about it. There are a couple guides in the AK range I stay away from because I know what they are capable of, some guys don't mess around. Shankster definitely isn't one of them. The BIG money guys are the ones to worry about. Like the ones taking guys with the gov tag...

Hunt365

FNG
Great write up, I think a lot of people can take away lessons from your story that you had to learn the hard way. Congrats on a beauty ram and a wicked story to tell.

OP
JustOneMoreShot
I read on another forum that the outfitter has tagged 14 Rams, 8 Moose, and 5 Caribou as of 17th or 18th of Sept. A few days left to go to the numbers may change... One of the moose was 74" wide. Weather has been a problem and hunters can't be moved around/fly and supposedly they are very low on food in base camp which is creating a bit of drama as it is getting leaked out of camp by the hunters by way of the internet.

Gwoodak

FNG
Great pics and really good write up. Sounds like the outfitter should of been paying you instead of the other way around. Nice ram too!

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
I read on another forum that the outfitter has tagged 14 Rams, 8 Moose, and 5 Caribou as of 17th or 18th of Sept. A few days left to go to the numbers may change... One of the moose was 74" wide. Weather has been a problem and hunters can't be moved around/fly and supposedly they are very low on food in base camp which is creating a bit of drama as it is getting leaked out of camp by the hunters by way of the internet.

14 rams, 8 moose, 5 caribou and low on food? Seems impossible, lol. I dislike this outfit more each time you post an update, 14 rams is a lot.

Shrek

WKR
You got to love an outfitter that hosts a reality tv show while he's supposed to be hosting your sheep hunt. Lots of respect for his clients and their hunt.

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like they have enough meat to go around. Maybe the National Guard can air drop some taters.

Ray

WKR
Still in the planning and saving part, but they are not in that many places and with prices in the 40k range, I still need to save a while or sell an asset. I'm sure my Son would rather have 40K, but he will probably get a full body Stoney instead. :)

Maybe once you can, you and Luke should emigrate to BC and get after it like a local. Luke can find a tar sand job or Norman Wells work. Just trying to help :)
My duck boat buddy over in Whitehorse may know some buddy that can put you on a list for when your knee gets back into shape.

Liv2Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome story! Not just the hunt but the entire experience! Sorry to hear about all the squabbling.
You should submit your story to some of the better hunting publications it was very well written with great supporting photos! Good luck on your stone sheep hunt.

mwhamm

FNG
Stories like this make me sick to my stomach. How can a wet behind the ears out of state assistant guide be out there putting clients lives at risk? The judgement of this out of state master guide is also appalling. It would be nice to have him get online and tell his side of the story.

Sorry JOMS, you are not fully correct. AK residents should have full priority since it's our state. Just like it's done in the rest of the western States.

OP
JustOneMoreShot
mwhamm
The assistant guide was really good and I count him as a friend after what we went through together. He is an Alaskan resident and I think that I typed that in the write up... Yes this was his first Dall Sheep hunt but he knew enough to get us on a ram and get the job done. Perhaps he was not perfect but I thought he did a really good job and was happy. I gave him a really nice tip and he was very appreciative. I would hunt with him again in a heartbeat for another species or go for Dalls again. Going down the mountain when we were at our limit was not his decision we made it together and I would say that I may have influenced his decision or pressured him to do it. I don't know... you would have to get his comment on that. I am not sure if he is a RS member. I know that I have told him about the site and he liked it a lot but he is busy out on a mtn goat hunt right now solo and I saw on his FaceBook that he got one today or yesterday. He knows how to get it done and is a good hunter/guide in my experience even if he doesn't have years under his belt yet and will get even better with time.
The master guide I would not hunt again with and there was several things that did not sit well with me before during and after the hunt. That is behind me and I move on with valuable lessons learned.
If you believe that I am incorrect that is fine I respect your opinion on who gets priority of the animals that are on public land. I think that I posted earlier it may be a good idea for the Game and Fish to change the regs to allow residents to get a head start and their season open before the nonresidents start to hunt. Voice your opinion at the game and fish meetings and maybe they will make positive changes for residents to allow better opportunities. I think that there is room enough for us all to enjoy the Alaska wilderness.

Last edited:

njdoxie

WKR
Nice story, you didn't get killed and you got a sheep! But the guide is a charlatan. I'm wondering....in all your research on what guide to pick, you never saw any red flags with this guy? Did you talk to previous clients? Why did you pick this guide? How does someone end up with a guide like this if you thoroughly research?

I'm very afraid of ending up with someone like this.

WRO

WKR
There is a horror story about some guys who took a moose hunt with him and lost all of their meat, horns, and capes. .