Alaska Range Dall Sheep: My First Sheep Hunt

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
I believe I have a decent idea here. You can buy a tag every year. However, once a ram is harvested (easy to keep tabs based on plugging), you may not harvest another ram for 3 years. This would keep those trophy hunters focused (only 40" or no sheep for me this year) and also allow there to be an abundance of legal sheep for those who just want to get a white sheep for the wall.

The 3 year rule would apply to both residents and non-residents. There are plenty of other species in Alaska to keep a hunter occupied during the 3 year sit. If they have a real passion for sheep, this would provide the opportunity to help a friend or youth hunter achieve a goal.

OP
JustOneMoreShot
I like the idea of one ram every three years. Correct there are lots more species to hunt and you can accompany other hunters on their sheep hunts if you just want to be out there sheep hunting and help mentor other newer hunters. This would let the overall numbers and trophy quality improve.

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
A great idea indeed. Especially because percentage of returned clients is not that high for non residents. It must be the winters they don't spend in AK:)

bergnp

FNG
A great idea indeed. Especially because percentage of returned clients is not that high for non residents. It must be the winters they don't spend in AK:)

Comments like this simply alienate you even more from the residents of our state. You should be very thankful our hunting is as open to non-residents as it is. Guys with your attitude will promote people like me to backlash against all non-residents and it's a shame.

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
Comments like this simply alienate you even more from the residents of our state. You should be very thankful our hunting is as open to non-residents as it is. Guys with your attitude will promote people like me to backlash against all non-residents and it's a shame.

People like you are blind to logic, oblivious to anything but their own interests and feel entitled without merit. You will backlash regardless:) And people like me will continue finding ways to hunt sheep. Year after year. I don't cry that someone owns me something. I am thankful enough to pay for it. Grow up.

bergnp

FNG
People like you are blind to logic, oblivious to anything but their own interests and feel entitled without merit. You will backlash regardless:) And people like me will continue finding ways to hunt sheep. Year after year. I don't cry that someone owns me something. I am thankful enough to pay for it. Grow up.

I grew up the son of a fishing guide and understand this state far better than you. I understand the tourism industry and I'm glad Alaska is a place people can come hunt and fish. We have several unique species here and it's a great thing. I support having big game guides here and having non-resident hunters here. You're very confused if you've read differently. I work hard for everything I have and all the activities I do, so there's no crying here. I think it's you who needs to grow up.

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
I could go into reading comprehension analysis and prove you wrong, be sarcastic and make you cry or point out faults in your logic from here on, but I don't think you are worth my time :) Happy hunting, bud.

This conversation stopped making sense when I said it was a dead end. I am sorry for keeping it up and hope the mods delete it from there on.

Out and clear.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Would you do a big favor for all of us, please? Would you put a report together for huntingreport.com? Shankster is not on there and it was the original outfitter report system before internet message boards, etc. Their credibility is very good. Word needs to get out on Shankster's operations. Thanks!

OP
JustOneMoreShot
I will look into it. I have never heard of HR.com but will check out the site. I really am not one to bash or spread negative comments/feelings or try and hurt other peoples livelihoods but at the same time I do feel a responsibility to help hunters avoid making a huge mistake and booking with someone who will not give them the hunt that they are paying for.

Edit to add: The website looks old and outdated. I searched a few things and it looks like if you want to see/read anything it will cost one dollar for each hunt report?

Snyd

WKR
I don't see how is that a problem? Every resident can hunt with a guide if they want to, it is like that in every other state. Moreover, some do. Higher success rate? Part of it is pre scouting, part - transport, part - logistics. What happens on the mountain is leveled regardless of state residency. As I see it, you have an unfair advantage, you can pack up and go. I have to hire a guide.

Alaskans need to figure this out pronto. If you don't - one by one you will exterminate sheep, close ranges to otc and move to the next one to do the same. There aren't that many to begin with, Chugach down to draw? Everyone is going to Wrangell this year. Done with that? Alaskan is up next . You got means to control your own appetite, instead you are trying to put the blame on non residents.

You don't have a flippin clue as to what you're talking about.

Snyd

WKR
Of course or is not, your are right. But a lot of them care and know about the area way more than folks who are out there hunting for two weeks out of the year and when there is nothing left to hunt - move on to destroy the next range.

Once again... you have no flippin idea what you're talking about...

Snyd

WKR
JOMS- What a hunt. It's great you got to experience what is a once in a lifetime hunt for many. Too bad you got "abandoned" and ended up in a life threatening situation. I know what it's like to fall down a sheep mtn. Been there done that, but it wasn't because my guide abandoned me. I've spent 10 years in the sheep mtns and cringe to think about what could have happened to you guys. I'd say the Good Lord was looking out for you.

Thanks for sharing all the ups and downs, in's and out's of your hunt. Your experience has also shown a light to the "uglier" side of SOME of the guide industry in Alaska.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, what a story! Thanks for putting that together! Glad you and your guide made it out in one piece. I would probably have been a bit less relaxed about the whole sitting in camp deal, after you made it back. But I stress too much. :)

Frans

OP
JustOneMoreShot
I just got word from my friend who guided me that Alaska is very likely to announce that all Dall Sheep tags will go to a draw next year. No more OTC. Of course it is not yet finalized and I can't point anyone to a link but that is just what I heard and have thought this was on the horizon but did not think it was going to happen so soon.

I just got word from my friend who guided me that Alaska is very likely to announce that all Dall Sheep tags will go to a draw next year. No more OTC. Of course it is not yet finalized and I can't point anyone to a link but that is just what I heard and have thought this was on the horizon but did not think it was going to happen so soon.

For those that have been following the sheep meetings, by being in attendance or by live stream, statewide draw does not look likely to happen.