Alaska DIY Moose RECAP 2024 - "HUMBLED & PURE GRIT"

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looks like a forehead injury healed and left calcified bone repair in its place. I have one from 2012 that had the same injury and an antler conglomerate grew out of it like a unicorn. Pretty cool survival rate.

OP
Robinhood21
Looks like a forehead injury healed and left calcified bone repair in its place. I have one from 2012 that had the same injury and an antler conglomerate grew out of it like a unicorn. Pretty cool survival rate.
That's kind of what I was thinking. He was a beat up old warrior. He even had a couple holes in his left antler base, close to the pedicle that had puss coming out.

AKDoc

WKR
Thank you for sharing your story with us. I enjoyed the photos...looks like a beautiful area and you definitely worked it hard, sir.

You prepared well and trained before the hunt. A several day pack out with the meat in rainy conditions is a very serious hump, and it is no one's ideal game plan for many reasons as you rightfully emphasized..."humbled and pure grit"...good on you putting that into perspective for others to understand.

I'm glad you guys had a great adventure together and you're already planning a return. The very best to you!

OP
Robinhood21
Thank you for sharing your story with us. I enjoyed the photos...looks like a beautiful area and you definitely worked it hard, sir.

You prepared well and trained before the hunt. A several day pack out with the meat in rainy conditions is a very serious hump, and it is no one's ideal game plan for many reasons as you rightfully emphasized..."humbled and pure grit"...good on you putting that into perspective for others to understand.

I'm glad you guys had a great adventure together and you're already planning a return. The very best to you!
Big thanks Doc & humbling it was! I had early thoughts of thinking I did wrong in putting ourselves in that situation but we worked hard and made certain the meat was #1 priority. Our pilot actually thanked us when he came to pull us out on how good of a job it looked. I guess he had a group a couple days before that had some serious meat issues.

I believe we are returning next year but instead of antlers I will be helping my cousin chase horns. He wants me to be there for his dall sheep hunt and I'm jumping all over that! I’ll never get to do that hunt myself so being there for his would be an amazing experience.

AKDoc

WKR
Big thanks Doc & humbling it was! I had early thoughts of thinking I did wrong in putting ourselves in that situation but we worked hard and made certain the meat was #1 priority. Our pilot actually thanked us when he came to pull us out on how good of a job it looked. I guess he had a group a couple days before that had some serious meat issues.

I believe we are returning next year but instead of antlers I will be helping my cousin chase horns. He wants me to be there for his dall sheep hunt and I'm jumping all over that! I’ll never get to do that hunt myself so being there for his would be an amazing experience.
Well said and well done...I respect your meat priority and extremely glad it all worked out well. You did it!!! Congratulations!!!