AK Moose 2024

OP
W

WMR

Lil-Rokslider
Moose meat and antlers arrived on schedule yesterday. Alaska Air Cargo from Anchorage to Detroit. It arrived frozen solid as a rock shipped in insulated boxes. 350# of meat and a smallish moose rack cost $700 shipping plus the cost of the boxes (another $180).

Not enough good things to say about Nick from Ak Trophy Expediters. He handled things up there and was utterly reliable. He has my best recommendation.

I’m scheduled to hunt Alberta next year, but hope to return to AK in 2026. Moose hunting is kind of addicting.

Moose meat and antlers arrived on schedule yesterday. Alaska Air Cargo from Anchorage to Detroit. It arrived frozen solid as a rock shipped in insulated boxes. 350# of meat and a smallish moose rack cost $700 shipping plus the cost of the boxes (another $180).

Not enough good things to say about Nick from Ak Trophy Expediters. He handled things up there and was utterly reliable. He has my best recommendation.

I’m scheduled to hunt Alberta next year, but hope to return to AK in 2026. Moose hunting is kind of addicting.
Good stuff Buddy.. You'll be enjoying that moose meat all year!

It is very, very addicting!

Airohunter

Lil-Rokslider
Well, the waders are still drying, but the moose is at the processor. We flew into a lake in South Central AK and it finally came together. The moose wasn’t a wide bull, but had the required 3 brow tines. Mooseless on two prior trips, I was not inclined to be real picky. One offhand shot with a 30-06 was enough.

We stayed close to camp and called, while watching the wind and minimizing noise. Perhaps some luck was involved, but this bull dropped near the tent and only about 100 yards from the flyout lake. I’d love to say that processing and packing the animal was easy, but it still took all day to get the meat hung at the lake. Even “small” bulls are pretty darn big!

Gear notes: The SO 8 person tipi again was comfortable. The wood stove was just the trick when things got wet. The little Helinox cots worked better than I expected. A folding Razorlite knife and 5 blades did the moose cutting. The little MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe stove still amazes me with its performance. Oh yea: tarps and ropes; the more the better.

Finally, though his work is not finished, Nick from AK Trophy Expediters seems like a good guy to know. He provides “boots on the ground” intel and assistance for nonresident hunters. A local problem solver can be very helpful.
Nick at AK Trophy Exped should be everyones first call when it comes to that side of the logistics, he's awesome to work with.