Airedale terrier training

neverquit

WKR
Any one have a training book or method they’d recommend for bird training for an Airedale ?

She’s only 11 weeks but I think I should be starting soon.

I’m in central az so mostly quail, dove, rabbits maybe waterfowl one day.

I think the Joan Bailey books are a good place to start. The Wolters Gun Dog series is pretty good as well. I really think that any dog can be trained. However, the key is the prey drive and the understanding that there will be some inherent abilities a dog breed that isn't normally used for birds will need to be lessened and some other abilities that will need to be strengthened. I don't know much about hunting with Airedale but I have been around some of the Idaho Shags that are part Airedale and saw some prey drive that could lend itself that way. I wish you well.

OP
neverquit

neverquit

WKR
I think the Joan Bailey books are a good place to start. The Wolters Gun Dog series is pretty good as well. I really think that any dog can be trained. However, the key is the prey drive and the understanding that there will be some inherent abilities a dog breed that isn't normally used for birds will need to be lessened and some other abilities that will need to be strengthened. I don't know much about hunting with Airedale but I have been around some of the Idaho Shags that are part Airedale and saw some prey drive that could lend itself that way. I wish you well.
Thanks. I’ll do some digging about this author