Airedale terrier training

neverquit

WKR
Any one have a training book or method they’d recommend for bird training for an Airedale ?

She’s only 11 weeks but I think I should be starting soon.

I’m in central az so mostly quail, dove, rabbits maybe waterfowl one day.

I think the Joan Bailey books are a good place to start. The Wolters Gun Dog series is pretty good as well. I really think that any dog can be trained. However, the key is the prey drive and the understanding that there will be some inherent abilities a dog breed that isn't normally used for birds will need to be lessened and some other abilities that will need to be strengthened. I don't know much about hunting with Airedale but I have been around some of the Idaho Shags that are part Airedale and saw some prey drive that could lend itself that way. I wish you well.

OP
neverquit

neverquit

WKR
I think the Joan Bailey books are a good place to start. The Wolters Gun Dog series is pretty good as well. I really think that any dog can be trained. However, the key is the prey drive and the understanding that there will be some inherent abilities a dog breed that isn't normally used for birds will need to be lessened and some other abilities that will need to be strengthened. I don't know much about hunting with Airedale but I have been around some of the Idaho Shags that are part Airedale and saw some prey drive that could lend itself that way. I wish you well.
Thanks. I’ll do some digging about this author

KurtR

WKR
Thanks. I’ll do some digging about this author
I don’t know the breed but I know I wouldn’t use Wolters out dated books. Look for a navda or hrc club go to a training day and you will learn a lot more.

One of the best for amateur is Freddy kings retriver trainer . It has thousands of videos to walk through all steps. Compared to most it’s a bargain at 60 dollars

uphill

FNG
Neverquit, I've had two Airedales. Both were great bird dogs and great companions. They do well if you start obedience training early and give them as much exposure to wild birds as you can. They are smart and can get bored with heavy repetition. Just always leaving them wanting more. I've used the Wolters book before. I think it was water dog? Good luck Uphill.