Ah the mind games we play on ourselves

So at 54 years old, my 78 pound bow has finally whipped my butt. I now have tendinitis in my arm. Guess I’m not getting younger.

I went ahead and put 70 pound limbs on and backed it down to sixty, built new arrows and sighted in today.

I can’t say how much I love shooting it at this weight. But my brain keeps trying to creep in with the “gotta at least get back to 70” stuff.

Anyone else fight these ridiculous mind games? I know 60 is plenty, especially since I refuse to shoot past 50 even at 78. I keep reminding myself that trad guys do it with much less and elk are put down with 40 on the regular.

I feel I’m already more accurate at 60 than I was and holding it back, it’s amazing how long it just sits there.

Accuracy is king……… right?

😂

Maverick1

WKR
In some states 35 pounds is the legal limit. You will do just fine with 60 pounds! Enjoy the hunt, in another 10 years you may be down to 50 pounds. Good luck this season!

OP
E
In some states 35 pounds is the legal limit. You will do just fine with 60 pounds! Enjoy the hunt, in another 10 years you may be down to 50 pounds. Good luck this season!
Thanks brother, and you as well. I want to do this until I drop so if it’s 50, all good.

Scoot

WKR
Yup-- sounds like your thinking is totally correct but you're struggling with a little "young man's brain" still. 60 will totally do the job for your needs. Tune them well and watch your arrow zip though big game like butter.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Years ago, I shot 89#, not sure why. This year, I started with 70# after shooting 65 for many years. Finally backed down to 65 and I shoot better. One side of my brain says go back to 70, the other side says you shoot better at 65. We all struggle with that thing inside our heads.

Wolf13

FNG
I have a short draw so poundage is the easy way to make up for it, and I still don’t worry too much. I think of it like working out: form matters way more than weight. If I could have perfect form and consistently shoot 80lbs I would. I’m not there and there’s no reason to push it. I shoot ~150 arrows when I go out, and if I feel my form break down I turn the bow down. If sit right around 63lbs for the most part. I don’t want to struggle at all on the last shot of the day, who knows how tired I’ll be when pulling back on an animal and having to hold for an extended period of time.

Beendare

WKR

Its Human nature to think more is better- with everything…3 scoops of ice cream is better than one, right? Grin
Until we have to haul that extra weight around in the mountains….

manitou1

WKR
So at 54 years old, my 78 pound bow has finally whipped my butt. I now have tendinitis in my arm. Guess I’m not getting younger.

I went ahead and put 70 pound limbs on and backed it down to sixty, built new arrows and sighted in today.

I can’t say how much I love shooting it at this weight. But my brain keeps trying to creep in with the “gotta at least get back to 70” stuff.

Anyone else fight these ridiculous mind games? I know 60 is plenty, especially since I refuse to shoot past 50 even at 78. I keep reminding myself that trad guys do it with much less and elk are put down with 40 on the regular.

I feel I’m already more accurate at 60 than I was and holding it back, it’s amazing how long it just sits there.

Accuracy is king……… right?

😂
Before my shoulders went I had no problem killing animals with a 42 lb recurve.
I have a buddy that has killed elk, bison, bear, and truckloads of hogs and deer with a 41 lb longbow.

When we shot competition together we shot targets to 80 yards.

You are fine with 60 lbs.

I think just because I could. Probably a little ego in there.

I was wondering if you shot a super heavy africa arrow or something.

You will be happy with that 60-pound bow.

I shoot 70# now at age 40 but my next new bow bow (age 50 birthday treat) will be 60 pounds with the limbs locked down tight.

jbelz

FNG
I wouldn't worry about getting back to 70. Good tune, good practice and a good broadhead is the name of the game.

LostArra

WKR
I like the lighter poundage for deer because I could be sitting motionless for hours in frigid weather before a shot.op occurs. That is the ultimate cold bow challenge once you pass 70 (years, not pounds).

I always feel more warmed up from hiking when hunting elk so a little more draw weight isn't such a challenge.

Mish-pop

Lil-Rokslider
To me when you stated that you were more accurate at 60, that would be my deciding point. My bow is tuned well at 62# and I feel no reason to change.

Randle

WKR
I always answer myself with, "Stay at 55 because look how long you can hold when that bull hangs up."

Zac

WKR
I highly doubt you are more accurate drawing 18 lbs less. Probably just the honeymoon period. 70lb limbs at 60 is putting your holding weight in the trash. Also takes your cams more time to reel in all that slack.

jbelz

FNG
I highly doubt you are more accurate drawing 18 lbs less. Probably just the honeymoon period. 70lb limbs at 60 is putting your holding weight in the trash. Also takes your cams more time to reel in all that slack.
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It’s about the tune and the groups you can shoot at the distances you plan on shooting. Cams are not fishing reels.