Ah the mind games we play on ourselves

OP
E
I was wondering if you shot a super heavy africa arrow or something.

You will be happy with that 60-pound bow.

I shoot 70# now at age 40 but my next new bow bow (age 50 birthday treat) will be 60 pounds with the limbs locked down tight.
I gotta say I’m loving it. I usually could shoot a couple dozen before my groups started falling apart. Seems I can just shoot all I want at this draw and zero fatigue. Plus I don’t feel like I’m in a rush or worried about being pulled off the back wall.

I’m definitely not going back.

OP
E
I highly doubt you are more accurate drawing 18 lbs less. Probably just the honeymoon period. 70lb limbs at 60 is putting your holding weight in the trash. Also takes your cams more time to reel in all that slack.
Too funny. I guess I better rethink my groups and everything I thought I knew.

TxxAgg

WKR
I could draw a lot more than I do, but 58-60# has been the sweet spot with a 400-500 gr arrow from oryx and kudu to pigs and deer.

Zac

WKR
Too funny. I guess I better rethink my groups and everything I thought I knew.
I shoot much better with less holding weight. Said no one ever. I’m sure you’re just looking for approval to shoot less poundage. It will definitely be better for your joints. However you won’t shoot better.

Zac

WKR
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It’s about the tune and the groups you can shoot at the distances you plan on shooting. Cams are not fishing reels.
Really? Have you seen what you can do to a string at full draw when you dump 10 pounds off the limbs? Also tune has almost nothing to do with accuracy. The best shooters in the world are all putting high left tears into their bows.

MattB

WKR
I think guys are combining concepts and not getting to the right conclusion. Bows will usually shoot better at max poundage for the reason Zac stated. There are reasons that peak let-off levels (%) haven’t increased much in over a decade - less holding weigh makes it easier to adversely affect the shot. But that isn’t to say that some people won’t shoot a lower holding weight better than one that is higher. It is entirely possible that a combination of high poundage and lower let-off can result in a holding weight that is higher than optimal for some people - even though they should “theoretically” shoot it better.

Reactions: Zac

Rob5589

WKR
After a long hiatus my first bow back was 60lbs @75% let off. (I too used to shoot 80lbs with young and healthy shoulders) All tuned its 62lbs and an absolute joy to shoot all day long.

Marble

WKR
I shoot much better with less holding weight. Said no one ever. I’m sure you’re just looking for approval to shoot less poundage. It will definitely be better for your joints. However you won’t shoot better.
There are a lot of people who shoot better with less holding weight. I understand what you are saying, and why more holding weight can improve accuracy. I shoot 65% on my comp bow. But what works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone. I prefer a high let off for hunting situations when the need to hold for a long time could make the difference.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

jbelz

FNG
Really? Have you seen what you can do to a string at full draw when you dump 10 pounds off the limbs? Also tune has almost nothing to do with accuracy. The best shooters in the world are all putting high left tears into their bows.
Tune has almost nothing to do with accuracy? You’re over here talkin’ bout high left tears like this is AT or something. Put a high left tear on a broadhead, take two weeks off and then quit.

Zac

WKR
Tune has almost nothing to do with accuracy? You’re over here talkin’ bout high left tears like this is AT or something. Put a high left tear on a broadhead, take two weeks off and then quit.

Where in the OP’s post did you hear anything about broadhead tuning? Your talking out your ass.

jbelz

FNG
Where in the OP’s post did you hear anything about broadhead tuning? Your talking out your ass.
You've been talking out of your ass this entire thread. Do you think he was shooting 78 lbs in the past to go to the Vegas Shoot? Is this not a hunting forum?

The fact you were willing to type "tune has almost nothing to do with accuracy" should raise a giant red flag in and of itself.

Zac

WKR
You've been talking out of your ass this entire thread. Do you think he was shooting 78 lbs in the past to go to the Vegas Shoot? Is this not a hunting forum?

The fact you were willing to type "tune has almost nothing to do with accuracy" should raise a giant red flag in and of itself.
It doesn’t. You can group an untuned bow without any issue. Almost every bow in Redding isn’t even close to what you would call tuned. You don’t have the credentials to refute the Dudley material so you’re just trying to switch the discussion to something totally unrelated. I could poll 100 archers that do it for a living and 100 percent of them will tell you that dumping your holding weight via backing out the limbs will do horrible things to accuracy. And if you want to talk about broadheads, try shooting the same hole with a super spongy back wall. Almost impossible to duplicate that shot.

Last edited:

dkime

WKR
So at 54 years old, my 78 pound bow has finally whipped my butt. I now have tendinitis in my arm. Guess I’m not getting younger.

I went ahead and put 70 pound limbs on and backed it down to sixty, built new arrows and sighted in today.

I can’t say how much I love shooting it at this weight. But my brain keeps trying to creep in with the “gotta at least get back to 70” stuff.

Anyone else fight these ridiculous mind games? I know 60 is plenty, especially since I refuse to shoot past 50 even at 78. I keep reminding myself that trad guys do it with much less and elk are put down with 40 on the regular.

I feel I’m already more accurate at 60 than I was and holding it back, it’s amazing how long it just sits there.

Accuracy is king……… right?

Keep doing what you’re doing my friend! I’ve gone to Redding, Vegas, NFAA indoor nationals, and various ASAs with limbs backed out, and even “gasp” limbs backed out differently from top and bottom to control how I wanted the bow to aim. Best shooting bow I had wouldn’t make 60# with 12# of holding weight and shot plenty of 300s with single digit holding weight. My wife has killed a host of animals at 50# at distances men would love to be able to shoot.

The fact is that you’re only helping yourself stay in the game longer and maintaining inspiration to keep shooting. I don’t post here much anymore, my thumbs are better spent with a release in my hand. Don’t let em keep ya down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbelz

FNG
@Zac I appreciate the lengths you're going to straw man this argument, but frankly I couldn't care less about the Dudley video or what you think folks are doing at Redding. You have zero clue about the shooting ability of OP or how he's doing now that he's backed his limbs off. From his post, it sounds like he's doing just fine. If you value target archery over bowhunting, I recommend spending more time here.

OP
E
Keep doing what you’re doing my friend! I’ve gone to Redding, Vegas, NFAA indoor nationals, and various ASAs with limbs backed out, and even “gasp” limbs backed out differently from top and bottom to control how I wanted the bow to aim. Best shooting bow I had wouldn’t make 60# with 12# of holding weight and shot plenty of 300s with single digit holding weight. My wife has killed a host of animals at 50# at distances men would love to be able to shoot.

The fact is that you’re only helping yourself stay in the game longer and maintaining inspiration to keep shooting. I don’t post here much anymore, my thumbs are better spent with a release in my hand. Don’t let em keep ya down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate that. It’s definitely caught up with me. But the pain is far better today than it was two weeks ago when I backed the limbs out. My shooting is smoother and I don’t feel rushed or concerned about holding for longer. Thanks again

OP
E
I think guys are combining concepts and not getting to the right conclusion. Bows will usually shoot better at max poundage for the reason Zac stated. There are reasons that peak let-off levels (%) haven’t increased much in over a decade - less holding weigh makes it easier to adversely affect the shot. But that isn’t to say that some people won’t shoot a lower holding weight better than one that is higher. It is entirely possible that a combination of high poundage and lower let-off can result in a holding weight that is higher than optimal for some people - even though they should “theoretically” shoot it better.
I agree that the best would be to have 60 pound limbs for efficiency. Since starting this journey, my original thought of backing it down till I could build back up has entirely changed. I’ve enjoyed shooting so much that I’m getting three times the practice and that has to be nothing but benefit.

I usually buy a couple new bows a year and have decided the next ones will be sixty pound bows. I’ve always loved shooting and it’s a big stress reliever for me. But man, it’s been even better like this.

My concern originally was penetration so I’ve shot some different mediums and have zero doubt there will be no issues at 60.

Appreciate all the feedback in here. Even Zac’s. There always has to be one of “those guys” to remind you that some folks just like to hear themselves yap.

OP
E
Please allow me to apologize for my ineptitude and failing you. How selfish of me to decide to stop damaging my body and doing what is best for me. I didn’t even consider how that would affect you, and that was terrible of me.

I will toe the line if you’ll have me back in the bravado club. I’ll just dump all my points and push through the pain for my last season before I do enough damage that I can’t pursue this further.

The next time I dare think my shooting is better, I’ll remember that you said it wouldn’t be and knowing that you possess all the answers, will push such silly notions from my confused mind.

Thank you for getting me to see the light. You are a shining star.

I am 54 as well and struggle with tennis elbow in both arms. Mostly in my draw arm these days, but I wear a tennis elbow brace on whichever elbow is bothering me at the time. My primary bow is set at 70 and my backup bow is set at 65. I really dont see much difference between drawing 65 and 70. i have thought about dropping my back up bow to 60 and shooting it for a while to see if I notice any difference.

Zac

WKR
Please allow me to apologize for my ineptitude and failing you. How selfish of me to decide to stop damaging my body and doing what is best for me. I didn’t even consider how that would affect you, and that was terrible of me.

I will toe the line if you’ll have me back in the bravado club. I’ll just dump all my points and push through the pain for my last season before I do enough damage that I can’t pursue this further.

The next time I dare think my shooting is better, I’ll remember that you said it wouldn’t be and knowing that you possess all the answers, will push such silly notions from my confused mind.

Thank you for getting me to see the light. You are a shining star.
Thank you sir. FYI I also shoot 60 lbs. However it is a 60 lb peak. If you read my earlier statements I stated that 60 lbs would definitely be easier on your joints. I just don't believe in shooting 10 lbs below the limb weight for the reasons I stated earlier. I posted the Dud videos in order to show that I wasn't just being a blow hard. Apparently they don't hold much weight anyways.