The Addiction

Slayerz

FNG
I have been a lifelong timber mule deer hunter, but due to lower numbers of mule deer and shorter seasons in the areas that I have always hunted, whitetails have been my primary targets/harvests. I have harvested a few mulies over the years, but nothing that I would consider a good buck. A couple years ago I was hunting an area that I had seen a few mule deer in while scouting and elk hunting, so I went back during the mule deer season. I found a secluded ridge area that didn’t seem to be over-pressured by other hunters and decided to slowly hunt through the area. As I hunted this area I was getting into a single deer here and there, but no bucks to be seen. There were a few buck rubs around, so it kept me at it all day, making a large loop. As I neared the end of my loop, I dropped over a steep sidehill, which was frozen, and I could hardly stand as I tried to slowly hunt along the hill. I eventually fell as the ground was frozen under foot and there was barely any snow for traction. As I staggered to my feet, I noticed some mule deer does moving away from me to my upper left and there was a nice muley buck right on their trail. My heart began to pound, and I attempted to get a shot, but between the does and the jack pines, there was no shot opportunity. I tried to circle around ahead of them, but they gave me the slip. Worn out from the long day hunting, I called it a day and hiked back to the truck, knowing I would be back the following weekend, looking for that buck that was now ingrained in my mind.

The following weekend I returned and started my hike 2 hours before daylight, after climbing for a little over 4,000 feet of elevation, I was in the zone. I moved slowly and methodically through the area where I had seen some of the deer the previous weekend and even took some time to sit for a few minutes to let the woods calm down. I noticed a single muley doe slipping away as I sat and after she moved out of sight I found a route that would give me minimal exposure, but would present me with a slightly elevated view down onto a bench in the direction the doe had disappeared. I slowly followed the route I had chosen and it led me through a small ravine and then onto a small rise, once on the rise I could see down below me close to 100 yards (which is a great distance in this area). I scanned the newly unfolding landscape and started picking deer out, a doe here, a doe there. Then I noticed a little forked horn muley buck, which was nice to see, but not what I was pursuing. As the deer started to notice me and started to get alert, there he was, a good mule deer buck, standing broadside looking at me. I shouldered my 300 H&H Win Model 70 (pre-64 for the gun guys and my Grandpa’s gun) and squeezed the trigger. After the shot, the deer didn’t really know what to do and then all heck broke loose and they started running everywhere, close to a dozen deer total in the herd from what I could tell. I did notice the buck ran off, but I couldn’t really tell if he kept running nor did I have a follow up shot with the chaos of the other deer running everywhere. I marked the location where the buck was standing and I picked up my empty shell casing (as most reloaders always do) and started my way down to where the buck was last seen. It didn’t take long as he only went about 50 yards and I literally yelled some words of excitement as I had finally harvested a mature mule deer buck after 20 years of trying. I took some solo pictures and enjoyed the moment as it was a perfect day on the mountain.

I quickly realized I had a lot of work to do as it was just after noon and I had a long way to go back to the truck. I boned out all the meat and put it into 2 meat bags, while also saving the cape for a mount. I stuffed as much as I could into my pack, and strapped the head and cape to the pack but the Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 35 could not handle everything. So I shouldered the heavy pack and threw the other meat bag over my shoulder and started the trek down the hill, only to abandon the extra meat bag in about 200 yards. I continued the hike down the hill and crossed some of the worst blowdowns that I have ever encountered, making it the worst hike out I have ever done. It was five miles and little over 3000 feet in elevation back down to the truck. The hike out took about 5 hours and I finally arrived at the truck 2 hours after dark, completely exhausted, but also super excited with what I had accomplished.

I made the 1.5 hour drive home and decided to see how the pack did with what seemed like a lot of weight on the pack. It weighed 95 pounds, so props to the pack for holding up as I navigated some relentless blowdowns, brush and slick hillsides (lots of falling down). I got the one meat bag hung up to air dry and got to bed, knowing that I was making the same hike the following morning to retrieve the second meat bag.

I woke early and started the process all over again, but this time, I went in from another access point so that I didn’t have to fight the blowdown mess. It still took 7 hours to hike in, retrieve the meat bag and hike back out. The trip home was bittersweet as I was worn down but also excited. I also didn’t know if I would ever want to do something that physically exhausting again. Well as most of you know, it doesn’t take much time and you are ready to do it again. Heck, I did it again this year, but not quite as far up or in, but still a very demanding and challenging pack out. I questioned my sanity again this year during the pack out…..but now, a little over a month later and I am ready to go next year, regardless of how far up or in.......timber ghosts…….the addiction…....

Attachments

• 20191116_122941 - Copy.jpg
    20191116_122941 - Copy.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 215
  • 20191117_134613 - Copy.jpg
    20191117_134613 - Copy.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 20191116_145010 - Copy.jpg
    20191116_145010 - Copy.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 20191116_125004 - Copy.jpg
    20191116_125004 - Copy.jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 20191116_124823 - Copy.jpg
    20191116_124823 - Copy.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 20191116_124256 - Copy.jpg
    20191116_124256 - Copy.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 262
  • 20191116_124237 - Copy.jpg
    20191116_124237 - Copy.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 255
  • 20191116_123001 - Copy.jpg
    20191116_123001 - Copy.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 246

TN2shot07

WKR
Nice buck and a very good story to go with it! Even better that you got it with a classic, we’re gonna need to see that too!

OP
S

Slayerz

FNG
Awesome story. Would love to see that rifle also!
Here is the rifle. My great grandfather originally bought Winchester Model 70's for each of his sons, all chambered in 300 H&H. They shot a lot of elk over the years with these guns back when the Clearwater area of Idaho had a good elk herd.

Attachments

• 20221218_200959 - Copy.jpg
    20221218_200959 - Copy.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20221218_201047 - Copy.jpg
    20221218_201047 - Copy.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 28