Affordable Rain Gear that works...???

Alright so I'm in need of some decent raingear (as is the GF) and I'm on a budget right now (a REAL lean one... ha). Eventually want to pick up the Kuiu set but that just ain't going to happen right now.

Need something that is packable and lightweight. I can deal with little breathability for now as I usually hunker up in heavy downpours or just keep my hiking to a slow pace to keep me from sweating too bad. If its warm out I just wear my other layers and they dry up pretty quickly.

Has anybody tried the ASAT raingear? Looks like it wouldn't breath for nothing and is noisy, but.... I haven't read anything regarding reviews on it! $100, lightweight, and packable make this tempting.

Cabelas Space Raingear? Thoughts? We aren't busting brush in Alaska, mainly open high country sept/october hunts.

Another thing we are looking at is the Marmot Precip gear. Good reviews on it, lightweight, affordable, just a bit loud and not the great color selection.

Has anybody tried the GoLite raingear either?

So what are you guys that aren't running the high end Kuiu, Sitka gear using for rain gear? I've used black garbage bags before and carry an emergency poncho with me in the pack if I REALLY need it so anything will be an upgrade (I consider the black garbage bag an upgrade over a previous Rivers West jacket lol)!

Mike

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Tons of people recommend the cabelas stuff, cheapest stuff I have used is a garbage bag :) This year I made an upgrade to Outdoor Research Rampart in my quest to have no camo (upgrade from garbage bag) and because I didn't want to spend a ton on stuff I probably will not use much in SW CO. I like it but have no clue how well it will do or hold up but it does seem to get good reviews. The design is to allow the sides to vent but keep watwr out. I think I got it for $50 and the material seems good, it weighs 14oz. Now I think I got a good deal because it has been discontinued. For pants i'm justgoing to use Kuiu Attack pants with REI trail gaitors, pants hopefully dry quickly like the microtex did in the past. So no rain pants for me.

Last edited:
The standard answer to that question in Alaska is HH Impertech. Cost is reasonable, it's not too heavy, and you KNOW it's waterproof.

I'm not a fan of Precip, although I haven't tried the Precip Plus stuff. It didn't handle brush at ALL.

Yk

OR Archer

WKR
I use the Under Armour Stealth rain gear. Love this stuff. Light weight and packable. Haven't been wet yet wearing it. It also has good vents in it to help with the breathability.

OP
HellsCanyon
I know the GF gets pro-deals on the HH stuff so that may be the way to go... I'll definitely check out the UA stuff and see what that is all about!

It really got me thinking about the raingear this weekend as we had a knarly storm roll in for a few hours before hiking back to camp saturday night. Pants never dried till the day afterwards (Microtex) and if it would've been october it would've been downright uncomfortable and cold. Granted I didn't bring my gaiters but should've... Sometimes you may have weather thats wet for a few days at a time instead of the flash storm that'll roll in and out in a short while. While I have good gear that dries quickly, you sometimes are better off having something in the beginning to keep it from getting wet.

Mike

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The standard answer to that question in Alaska is HH Impertech. Cost is reasonable, it's not too heavy, and you KNOW it's waterproof.

I'm not a fan of Precip, although I haven't tried the Precip Plus stuff. It didn't handle brush at ALL.

Yk

+1 on that. Hard to beat the HH impertech given the price/weight/ and knowing its truly waterproof. Granted it doesn't breath as well as other types of rain gear in the price range, but then again it doesn't leak like they do either in heavy rains.

hodgeman

WKR
In a lot of situations I ditch my higher end Kuiu rain gear and take my Impertech. The HH is great stuff for the cash.

When the Kuiu stuff I've got gives up the ghost I will likely not replace it. It's not that much lighter than Impertech and not that much more breathable...bottom line of you're moving hard in rain gear, you're gonna be sweaty no matter how breathable it is.

Impertech works great, is pretty quiet, lasts well, and is easy to repair in the field with a little seam grip....about perfect rain gear in my book.

I can also tear the whole butt out of them in a scree chute and not cry over three dead Benjamins.

bbrown

WKR
I have the Cableas Space Rain gear top and it has treated me well the past couple years - very light and always in my pack for the sudden storm. Just have resonable expectation of its durability and ruggedness given its size/weight and cost. For what is designed for, I don't think you will find better (and I think it was on sale recently but I am not sure if it wtill is).

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Another fan of Cabelas Space Rain. Top and bottom together weigh under 1#, reasonably quiet and pack down very nice. Wish they had pit zips and the pants might be frail for brush but hasnt failed in the arid west for me yet.

Sitka is extremely loud for bowhunting, slightly heavier but more durable and features functional pockets. HH isn't breathable but more waterproof than the rest. Kuiu is one very well reviewed but I haven't had a chance to check it out.

All mentioned are good buys but fit different needs and different climates.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used the cabelas Dryplus rain pants for years with good success, and never had a single leak (never used the jacket though). They have held up well, even surviving several episodes of butt sliding and treks through the alders. I wore gaitors over them, which probably protected the lower legs from snags and tears. I have finally worn them out (the crotch is delaminating), and so I am choosing to upgrade due to the amount of time I spend in them (it rains a lot up here) and the fact that I am interested in something more breathable, but I was very satisfied with the Dryplus considering the low price and the amount of abuse I subjected them to. I also am a big fan of the impertech when it's really nasty and I am not moving much, but the dry plus is definitely lighter weight than HH.

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree on the Space Rain I have used it in Colorado since it was introduced. Keep in mind it will not hold up to heavy "bush whacking" but is light and will keep you dry. IMHO it does not breathe the very best but I have not tried anything else. It is always in my pack and goes with me on every hunt. Go into the purchase with clear expectations and know the limitations of which ever product you purchase.

OP
HellsCanyon
Thanks for all the advice folks! I think we might try and check out both the Cabelas stuff as well as the UA.

The HH IMpertech doesn't look bad either but I don't think it packs down as small as the others.

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Frogg toggs rain suit for $69.95 and only 1lb.

I've actually heard nothing but BAD things about these... from all the horror stories I think if I squatted down to tie my boot I'd rip 'em out! never wore them personally so have no experience to go off of.

On another note, I was on the REI site the other day and noticed that they have lightweight backpacking UMBRELLAS! Kind of made me LoL a bit, has anybody seen someone use one of these out on the trail? :)

Mike

swat8888

WKR
The Frogg Toggs fit is a bit ridicuous....kinda like the old MC hammer pants, and them seem to come up really high...like your stomach. I've heard they can shred up pretty quick, so I wouldn't beat any brush in them. My take is why buy something that is $50 every season because it is not very durable when I can just drop $100 up front for something that will last several seasons.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Frogg Toggs fit is horrible! I have used the space rain the last few years with no issues. The only down side is they don't breath much. I bought a pair of kuiu bottoms. But I have not used them. I think I'm afraid I might rip them:)

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the Frogg Toggs. Didnt make it through the first clear cut before a errant limb dang neer de-pants me. By time I got back to the truck I looked like I was trying to wear a zombie costume. I just ripped them off like I was the Hulk and tossed them. Was an lesson.

Curently run the REI taku set in black. Its not real light and not super quiet, but it did damn good for 2 seasons. Now its starting to soak through in spots and hte pants are pretty worn from brush. I wash it it Tech wash and I'll milk it for this season.

HH impertech is just rubber raingear with a fabric liner. Nothing fancy and its reliable.

I also have an E-vent Wstcom Specter jacket I use for early season when I dont bring rain pants. Its great, but noisy.

Living in SW Washington I'm always looking for better rain gear.

Anybody try "Gamehide"? Made in Nam, but theyre quiet,camo & sturdy. I use my jacket as a soft shell & wear the pants as regular huntin pants if it aint too hot. Works for me.