Advice on back pack gear

cr_terra

FNG
I am looking to get advice on what gear I should start with to get into back country/back pack hunting. I've hunted my entire life and come from a family of hunters. I've done basically day hunts from a base camp but nothing more. My two sons, one entering his final year of college, and the other son is finished and beginning his career have also hunted as well. Of course we have your basic hunting gear and day packs with good foot wear, but not much more. I am looking to include my sons as often as possible which means for now I will be footing the bill for most of the gear. So I don't want to jump all in, but I definitely don't want to start cheap and waste money. Hunts will be primarily in California with one or two hunts per year in Colorado. Typically early mid season type archery hunts with not so extreme weather but want to be prepared. Looking for advice on tent, sleep systems, packs(with meat hauling capabilities), clothing, etc. I'm thinking of better longer lasting gear for myself and less expensive yet durable "extra gear" when needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

My first bit of advice is to break this thread down one piece of gear at a time. You'll get better, more specific information, and it will help us give you better info based on your needs. Second, buy exactly what you want, and don't compromise. Everything you compromise on will end up getting replaced. Start with Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo Mountain Gear, Paradox, and Mystery Ranch for packs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
If you have the disposable income to drop several thousand dollars on gear, i.e. Kifaru, Kuiu, FirstLite, etc. then by all means, do so. It is definitely some of the best out there. Buy once, Cry once; and know you are supporting some rad companies that typically give back a lot to our community. However, please do NOT think that in order to hunt the backcountry, you have to have all this name brand gear! I have packed out many elk and deer with my REI pack that I buy at their annual sales. I have slept through horrendous alpine storms in a North Face one man tent I bought on clearance. I put gallons of sweat into Icebreaker base layers bought on clearance...
If you understand the concepts behind what your gear is doing, then you will know where to point your money. I would say typically this is backpack and boots. Again though... Everyone will tell you you can't do it without Kifaru or Mystery Ranch or Kuiu; don't listen to that. Go try out the gear at REI, spend time understanding the purpose behind each piece of gear, and you can decide for yourself what is adequate

OP
C

cr_terra

FNG
Thank you for this advice so far. I've been doing a lot of research and have learned a ton just by following and reading threads here. Rokslide is a great resource! I'm fairly comfortable with clothing and layering, etc. To be more specific, here goes..
Which tent for 2-3 people?
Lots of bugs where I hunt, so definitely want a tent, no tarp.
Sleeping bag? Not sure how I'd fare in a mummy bag. How confined are they?
Which pad, air or foam?

Everyone will tell you you can't do it without Kifaru or Mystery Ranch or Kuiu; don't listen to that.

When buying camping gear there are 3 things to consider and you always get 2: lower cost, light weight and rugged.

Up until about 2 years ago I had never used a pack worth over $100, but now own a Kifaru. I can say unequivocally that you will enjoy your hunt a lot more with a good pack and boots. That being said, I have made modifications to my old 70's era Alpenlite frame pack that makes it very usable, which is why I have kept it as a backup/loaner. IMO you can save more money in the long run by spending money on a pack because you won't mind sacrificing weight for lower price for the rest of your gear.

Boots are too personal to really get into, just try on as many as you can.

Alps makes some very good tents for the price that run about 1lb heavier that comparable high end competitors that cost almost 100% more.

First Lite and Kuiu make very good clothes for the money, but if you are okay with non-camo you will expand the possibilities a lot and chances of finding some good deals. Before I could afford better clothing I had very good luck with Army surplus BDU's.

Sierra Trading Post is a great place to watch for deals. Sign up for their e-mails and they will send you 1-3 coupons per day, so you need to be patient for the one that gets you the best deal for what you want. Also, keep an eye on the classifieds here as you can get some good deals. There are some brands that are in lesser demand that are still very good that go for great prices (Seek Outside packs for example).

wl704

FNG
Lots of bugs where I hunt, so definitely want a tent, no tarp.
Sleeping bag? Not sure how I'd fare in a mummy bag. How confined are they?
Which pad, air or foam?
Car camping or backpack hunt? Only planning for warm seasons? Distance traveling? Expected duration in the field? Anticipated weather (besides warm...tropical humid warm with daily rain vrrsus low possibility of rain)?

Might be some additional questions which shape or limit some choices (weight, materials, etc).

OP
C

cr_terra

FNG
When buying camping gear there are 3 things to consider and you always get 2: lower cost, light weight and rugged.

Up until about 2 years ago I had never used a pack worth over $100, but now own a Kifaru. I can say unequivocally that you will enjoy your hunt a lot more with a good pack and boots. That being said, I have made modifications to my old 70's era Alpenlite frame pack that makes it very usable, which is why I have kept it as a backup/loaner. IMO you can save more money in the long run by spending money on a pack because you won't mind sacrificing weight for lower price for the rest of your gear.

Boots are too personal to really get into, just try on as many as you can.

Alps makes some very good tents for the price that run about 1lb heavier that comparable high end competitors that cost almost 100% more.

First Lite and Kuiu make very good clothes for the money, but if you are okay with non-camo you will expand the possibilities a lot and chances of finding some good deals. Before I could afford better clothing I had very good luck with Army surplus BDU's.

Sierra Trading Post is a great place to watch for deals. Sign up for their e-mails and they will send you 1-3 coupons per day, so you need to be patient for the one that gets you the best deal for what you want. Also, keep an eye on the classifieds here as you can get some good deals. There are some brands that are in lesser demand that are still very good that go for great prices (Seek Outside packs for example).
Thanks COlineman78, great advice and tips. I have some quality boots and have been wearing some Kuiu for a while now. Any thoughts on water filters? Gravity, pump, or tabs?

Thanks COlineman78, great advice and tips. I have some quality boots and have been wearing some Kuiu for a while now. Any thoughts on water filters? Gravity, pump, or tabs?

I have been running a Geigerrig with a Sawyer Squeeze for a couple years and it works great. I carry a mosquito head-net for a pre-filter to avoid any clogging. The only annoying thing about the setup is that it takes a minute or 2 to fill up my nalgene or jetboil. I got a good deal on the Sawyer gravity rig and a Steri-pen and plan on trying them both out this year. I also carry aqua-tabs as a backup in my first-aid kit.

For a stove, I run a Snow Peak Giga-power with a modified Jetboil cup that I cut slits in to get it to sit down near the burner. I also just picked up a MSR Pocket Rocket to try out a couple weeks ago. If I were to start from scratch I think I'd get either the Pocket Rocket, Optimus Polaris Optifuel or Primus Omnilite TI with either the Olicamp XTS or Optimus Terra Weekender HE pots.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Lots of good little 2 and 3 man tents out there. You really have to decide on longevity versus weight. Heavier tents from reputable companies are going to last longer generally. For example, I recently needed to add a 2 man tent to my gear set, so my little boy and I could do some cutthroat trips this summer. I looked at some incredibly lightweight tents from Big Agnes, but had reservations due to the ultralight construction, knowing my 11 year old would likely put a foot or hand through it LOL. We ended up going with a REI Half Dome 2. It's a pound heavier, but made with thicker material. It weighs just under 5 pounds bit we will split into 2 packs, so no big deal really. If you have one or two sons with you, that opens the possibility of having a heavier shelter of you can spread the weight amongst you all.

OP
C

cr_terra

FNG
I have been running a Geigerrig with a Sawyer Squeeze for a couple years and it works great. I carry a mosquito head-net for a pre-filter to avoid any clogging. The only annoying thing about the setup is that it takes a minute or 2 to fill up my nalgene or jetboil. I got a good deal on the Sawyer gravity rig and a Steri-pen and plan on trying them both out this year. I also carry aqua-tabs as a backup in my first-aid kit.

For a stove, I run a Snow Peak Giga-power with a modified Jetboil cup that I cut slits in to get it to sit down near the burner. I also just picked up a MSR Pocket Rocket to try out a couple weeks ago. If I were to start from scratch I think I'd get either the Pocket Rocket, Optimus Polaris Optifuel or Primus Omnilite TI with either the Olicamp XTS or Optimus Terra Weekender HE pots.
Exactly the type of info I'm looking for!

OP
C

cr_terra

FNG
Lots of good little 2 and 3 man tents out there. You really have to decide on longevity versus weight. Heavier tents from reputable companies are going to last longer generally. For example, I recently needed to add a 2 man tent to my gear set, so my little boy and I could do some cutthroat trips this summer. I looked at some incredibly lightweight tents from Big Agnes, but had reservations due to the ultralight construction, knowing my 11 year old would likely put a foot or hand through it LOL. We ended up going with a REI Half Dome 2. It's a pound heavier, but made with thicker material. It weighs just under 5 pounds bit we will split into 2 packs, so no big deal really. If you have one or two sons with you, that opens the possibility of having a heavier shelter of you can spread the weight amongst you all.
Exactly what I was thinking. Or I might just take two packs and make the boys carry everything lol. Thanks for the info on the tents

Google "ten essentials." That will give you a pretty good start on a gear list.

And then buy a nice pack to stick all that crap in :).

As for specifics on gear and brands, well, you certainly found the right spot.

We ended up going with a REI Half Dome 2. It's a pound heavier, but made with thicker material.

Exactly the same process I went through. I ended up with the 2+ though because I use a 25" pad for my big azz. I suggest the 2+ as you will appreciate the extra room. A good cheap 1 person tent that I have is the Alps Mystique 1.5.

I echo the above. Pack, boots and sleeping bag is where you do not want to skimp. Clothing can be had for reasonable prices if you are not dead set on hunting brands. There is no replacement for experience on what works for you. It took me three years to get my gear dialed in.

This is what I currently use:

•Pack: Kifaru ZXR
•Tent: Nemo GoGo or Tenshi
•Sleeping: Kifaru 20, Woobie and Klymit Static V. I just got a FF •Flicker down bag I'll be testing.
•Stove: MSR Reactor
•Water: MSR Miox and Miniworx
•Boots: I love Salomon.
•Other: Garmin 62 GPS, PrincetonTec Headlamp.

I've used this setup for years and it's absolutely perfect for my use. The Kifaru Sleeping Bag has kept me alive whilst soaked in 20 degree weather.