Pack size recommendations

Lawnboi

WKR
I can fit 7 days gear in 4800 easy. And thought smaller was great idea at one time. Not the case anymore

When it comes to killing things I’m a 7k minimum. Last thing I want to be doing is fussing around with my pack when it’s getting dark and I want to get the hell out of there with a bag full of meat. I also am not a fan of playing with my pack to sand which meat rather after I just spent the time cutting it up. Big bag makes everything easy and quick.

Kind of a big oversight IMHO, looks like it has a ton of straps- just not ones that go all the way around????
Pretty much. One of the reasons, as well as weight, that I moved on. I will say that the new MR packs interest me a little, but not enough at the moment. The K4 with a 5000 bag is pretty much all around perfection, although for whitetail I fluctuate between the 3600 and 2000.

CBJR03

FNG
Classified Approved
I have a Kuiu Pro 6000 and it's fine for 3-4 day trips or longer 5-7 day trips. I'd rather have extra space then have to buy another smaller bag.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
This compressability discussion is why I brought it up. Whatever size you end up buying 4,000 to 7,000 you'll probably spend more time with it compressed and caring only 2-3,000, so I'd be more concerned with the small size of things as opposed to the large side.

cworth

FNG
I have the K5000 in the cart, but have not pulled the trigger for this reason. How small does the K5000 compress down for day use. The website shows it compressed, but it is hard to really tell how small or how it actually feels. Does anyone have any in insight or pictures of one as a day pack? Does it feel like a 1800 pack when compressed down, or do just have a lighter large pack on? Thanks in advance.

I have the K5000 in the cart, but have not pulled the trigger for this reason. How small does the K5000 compress down for day use. The website shows it compressed, but it is hard to really tell how small or how it actually feels. Does anyone have any in insight or pictures of one as a day pack? Does it feel like a 1800 pack when compressed down, or do just have a lighter large pack on? Thanks in advance.
Empty and compressed, it legitimately feels like you're wearing the frame... I've posted this before, but here is the 3600 compressed, next to a MR Sawtooth 45. There's really not a visible difference with the 3600 vs. 5000 (an ounce or two for the bag weight, but...), obviously the lid isn't installed, but that could be dragged down the front before the compression straps are buckled and tightened.

When used "compressed" with partial space, depending on weight location (pack organization), they feel like a comparable pack of the utilized space size.

Attachments

• 20230430_133024.jpg
    20230430_133024.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 11

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
Empty and compressed, it legitimately feels like you're wearing the frame... I've posted this before, but here is the 3600 compressed, next to a MR Sawtooth 45. There's really not a visible difference with the 3600 vs. 5000 (an ounce or two for the bag weight, but...), obviously the lid isn't installed, but that could be dragged down the front before the compression straps are buckled and tightened.

When used "compressed" with partial space, depending on weight location (pack organization), they feel like a comparable pack of the utilized space size.
I was going to reply but your answer couldn’t have been put any better! Only thing I can add is that I have the K4 5000 and have decided to take it on my Nov Elk hunt instead of my MR Pintler. The Pintler is just a touch smaller than the Sawtooth. The K4 5000 easily compresses down to take up less space than my Pintler.

archp625

WKR
6000ish. Just starting out your stuff may be a little bulkier so you may want to go a little bigger. But remember, the bigger the bag you tend to carry more non essential items.

I was going to reply but your answer couldn’t have been put any better! Only thing I can add is that I have the K4 5000 and have decided to take it on my Nov Elk hunt instead of my MR Pintler. The Pintler is just a touch smaller than the Sawtooth. The K4 5000 easily compresses down to take up less space than my Pintler.
Yeah, I have all the bags except for the 7200! 5000 is definitely the "do-all" bag, but for NE whitetail, I spend more time in the 2200 and 3600 (late season layers). I'm hunting western CO for elk this September; drive-in, setup base, and then day hunt; and I'm going to be bringing the 2200.