Heavier Puffy suggestions

satchamo

WKR
I’m looking for a heavier puffy with a hood to run on a late season elk hunt this fall. I currently have the umcompagre which is great for taking the edge off in mornings and evenings during archery but it doesn’t quite cut it once winds and cold kick in. I will be using it to glass so I’m looking more for something to wear stationary.

I am not brand loyal but I’d prefer solid vs camo. I’d rather not spend over $300 but saving money is good too

Any suggestions?

Seeknelk

WKR
Look for a sitka Kelvin down WS( wind stopper), they are discontinued but check around used markets. Not the Kelvin lite. It has a lot of fill, not sure how much tho.
Look for 5+ oz of down fill.
Also, check Feathered Friends and nunatak custom offerings for a world of actually warm puffies.

Just picked up a Rab Positron. Looks like 10+ oz down. Mountaineering brands perform better in my opinion on down products. Usually more cost effective too

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably need to buy used or find a clearance sale for that. Look at European brands like Rab,Bergens, montbell. Don’t know model names but something with at least 6oz of 800 fill power down should work in most cases.

CC55

FNG
Agree with fngTony. I have the Rab Neutrino that works well for this late season stuff. I had a lot of the same problems…I freeze with lightweight puffy jackets in late season for true stationary glassing! I heat up quick but also cool down quick. Been really happy with the heavier setup. Combo it with some good puffy pant and you’ll be happier as well!

PineBrook413

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
for late season elk hunts i always the first lite chamberland. SUPER warm and packs down pretty small. I also have an uncompadre for earlier hunts but there is no comparison in warmth with the chamberland. its easily 2x as warm.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an ultralight Kuiu (2oz 850 fill) for summer, Rab electron pro (6.7oz of 850 fill) for most everything else and a Bergen’s Gala (12oz of 750 fill) for frigid weather. Bought the kuiu on sale and the other two used from here for $150$ $100 but those deals don’t come around often so I’d jump on something between $200-300 if you’re needing it for this year.

VernAK

WKR
I wear a down jacket of various degrees of fill for 9-10 months of the year. I have had numerous down and synthetic "puffy" coats and jackets over the years. I don't get obsessed with brands and extreme ratings. I buy close outs of any brand. Currently Costco has a decent puffy in the $30 range..

The Sitka Kelvin WS is a ln awesome jacket as some mentioned above. Love mine and would certainly fit what you’re looking for.

Maverick1

WKR
If you are looking for something in a solid, and camo is not a priority, take a look at the non-hunting, mountaineering brands. For a specific recommendation, try out the Feathered Friends Helios jacket, hooded or not. Much warmer than many of the hunting jackets, and yes, I have owned many. (The Helios is currently on sale, and looks like inventory is low. Try Western Mountaineering.) Both are out of your price range, though. Perhaps others can chime in with recommendations.

There ain’t no replacement for displacement so if you’re truly glassing for long periods nothing beats lots of high quality down. Synthetic works too but the warmth per fill is IIRC similar to 500-600 FP down and goes downhill with use. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, read up on CLO value

Rab electron and neutrino are good with solid color options. FL Chamberlin in tan is good too on sale (I got one for my wife at scheels for $200). Sitka WS is also pretty good but is camo, not quite as much down, and was discontinued a while back. For synthetic Kifaru LP is worth looking into

For truly cold conditions you’ll also want insulated pants and foam pads (like a cut up Z pad) for your butt and feet. It’ll also help to loosen your laces to improve blood flow.
I’d just wear a good fleece under the puffy you have. If it’s windy or REALLY cold, add a shell or some sort over them both
Nah, light synthetic won’t cut it, even with the fleece and shell, not if we’re talking November or later in the Rockies level of cold