Advice about a Rem 700ml

New forum member. I recently bought a .50cal Remington 700ml for a pretty good deal at a pawn shop. The goal was to replace my old hand-me-down knight with a good ~200yd muzzleloader. However, after a thorough cleaning and a couple rounds, I'm not sure the gun is a great fit for what I want out of it. I have done a lot of research and seen that I'll need to upgrade the bolt and breech to step up to BH209. Not to mention that the barrel has some pitting from the previous owner. I am having the conversation with myself about whether I want to upgrade the bolt/breech with badger industries or the arrowhead system as well as do a rebarrel to make the rifle closer to what I want. Or would I be better selling it off for what I paid and stepping into something like a used acurra off of the classifieds?

Any of your advice is welcome and thank you in advance.

Depends on what you want. The bolt nose kit and new breech plug a must to fix blowback issues. There are probably many take off barrels in good shape where people rebarreled to smokeless, I’d just look at the smokeless muzzleloader sites and see if you can pick one up cheap. You could go new custom prefit, but they are not cheap.

Puzzles

FNG
I'm assuming you have the first edition from your description?

First edition:
Remington 700 ML was introduced in 1996 in both ML (blued) and MLS (stainless) in .50 and .54 caliber. Both came with a black synthetic stock. Based on the Model 700 short action receiver. The bolt has a round hammer in place of a firing pin and originally designed use a #11 cap for ignition. It ended production somewhere around 2004.

Google: "Remington 700 ML 209 conversion kit" if it has not already been upgraded to use 209 primers. Sample search results below.

If you have a first edition it's most likely not what you're looking for and not designed to use the same power charges as the second edition. Personally, I would take back to the pawn shop. Sorry for the bad news.

Second edition:
Remington Model 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader (Remington 700UML) was introduced in 2014 and still in production. New ones are now showing up post Remington's bankruptcy and still cataloged as of 2023. Second edition also uses a Remington model 700 short action but with a conventional bolt with firing pin. The Ignition is basically from a cut down 308 Winchester case with a Remington 9 1/2 Magnum large rifle primer.

The Rem 700UML is designed for and will ignites up to four 50-grain pellets of 777 substitute for a muzzle velocity around 2400 fps with a Remington saboted .45-caliber bullet weighing 250 grains. Three-pellets of 777 delivers about 2200 fps (200 fps less) with the same Remington 250 grain bullet. The Remington bullets are rebranded Barnes Magnum MZ's that have a unique magnum sabot for the larger powder charge. So basically, the 700UML will beat most .45-70 Gov’t loads if that's what you're after.

Personally, if it's a 700UML take it to the range and test fire it with Remington's suggested load you may be surprised. I've had one since 2015 and believe it one best muzzleloader ever produced, only limited be state fish and game regulations. Mine will shoot 1 1/2 to 2 1/2-inch groups at 200 yards using 777, and always under 4-inch groups at 300 yards. I think it's more about me than the gun as far as group size goes. I have found no advantage in using up to 150 grains of Blackhorn 209 power as it's more expensive and produces the very same average group sizes in my gun. Plus, I like the advantage of the pellets over lose power while in the field. I have tried a multitude loads and keep coming back to Remington's original and recommended design load as it produces the best average results day after day in my option.

Some informational links for the 700UML:

Good luck and hope you have a Remington 700UML rather than the old 700ML.

FLS

WKR
Ive got an original 700 ML. I upgraded the ignition system and it shoots light out for me with 777 and Barnes TMZ bullets and Thors. Ive killed a pretty good bit of game with it. Never seen one that wouldnt shoot with a little tweaking. Those old 700 MLs gave a cult following.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Upgrade with the badger ridge bolt nose.

Shoot it.

I have a Pre-64 in 06 with a pitted bbl, that shoots well under and inch

I bought a 700ml because of FLS and that damn thing shoots! I did upgrade the ignition to the badger ridge 209 system. Zero buyers remorse on the 700 or the upgrade. It was the easiest load development I have ever done.

madgrad02

WKR
I have the older 700ML (stainless) in .54... granted not the new 209 ignition, and would like to make that conversion perhaps, but shoots outstanding to 100yd (haven't stretched any further). Given the prices for some newer muzzleloaders on Camofire and other sites, tempted to try something new. Though hard to justify... if it ain't broke, don't fix it
110gr (by volume) of fffg over 275gr barnes mz expanders

erictomr

FNG
I have a Remington 700 ML that shoots 209 primers. Looking to sell off and try out a new muzzleloader next season. PM me of interested.

I upgraded my 700 ML with the badger ridge and it shot awesome with BH209 and Barnes 250 grain TEZ. If you want to go smokeless one day you can still use the bolt nose if you want to use a 209 ignition.

I had an encore with a terribly rusted barrel. It shot fine still and I killed several deer with it. One was a mule deer in Nebraska at 180 yards.