Hunting Experiences with Loose Powder

I'm curious to hear if anyone has hunting experiences that dictate which powder they use? Specifically T7 Vs. BH209

A little background- I am hunting muzzleloader for the 2nd time in CO. I have hunted many years in the midwest with the pellets, but the use of loose powder is fairly new to me. I currently use T7 and haven't really had any problems, but now that BH209 is available again I find myself wanting to make the switch because of how much cleaner it is. I still have a beginner set up which is a cheap CVA Optima with Thor bullets. However, I've really taken to muzzleloader hunting since moving out west and I want to keep tweaking my set up for hunting here in Colorado.

What's really holding me back is last year my hunting partner (who uses BH) had a misfire on a really big bull. The primer went off, but no shot. We very meticulously reloaded our weapons everyday with new powder and took extra steps to keep them cased at night, clean, etc. It was dry, normal conditions in Sept high country. He also had the 209 breachplug in his. This experience was just crushing for him and it seems like its putting a mental roadblock on me using 209. We had shot together all summer and neither of us had ever had a misfire. I've hunted over 15 years muzzleloader and never had one either. I've always read about them happening but never experienced one.

With that said, what bad experiences have you had muzzleloader hunting? Did you stick with the equipment or switch it up? After that experience I hold reliability over everything else, but I'd imagine it happens to people who shoot T7 also, so I'd love to hear of some of the advice from some of the more experienced guys. Do you sacrifice some reliability to get that clean burning powder or is it typically user error?
Been using loose BH209 with 209 primers and loose powder breech plug in my CVA Accura for at least 10 years. I've never had a misfire during any range sessions including super hot and humid target practice during the summer or bitter cold during late muzzleloader season. Hell, I've left the rifle loaded from January through to September in my basement, put a primer on it, and never had a misfire after all that time sitting. I use the blue winchester 209 shotgun primers exclusively.

I'm not sure what primers your buddy was using, but I would blame these before the powder. It's performed flawlessly for me.

Only thing outside the primer I can think of is maybe he left his cold rifle too close to the fire (if you had one) and there was a condensation issue.

EDIT: Just re-read ELDiablito's post, and agree 100% with ensuring the breech plug flame channel is absolutely clean. Between shots, if you can't clearly see daylight through the breech plug out the end of the barrel, clean that SOB. In the field and on the range, I always carry an old-school extendable nipple pick like this one. Ram it in there and scrape it around and you're golden.

https://www.scheels.com/p/tradition...tQjsDo-jXRkuCn1XxkaAiHrEALw_wcB&src=hardlines

Last edited:
Been using loose BH209 with 209 primers and loose powder breech plug in my CVA Accura for at least 10 years. I've never had a misfire during any range sessions including super hot and humid target practice during the summer or bitter cold during late muzzleloader season. Hell, I've left the rifle loaded from January through to September in my basement, put a primer on it, and never had a misfire after all that time sitting. I use the blue winchester 209 shotgun primers exclusively.

I'm not sure what primers your buddy was using, but I would blame these before the powder. It's performed flawlessly for me.

Only thing outside the primer I can think of is maybe he left his cold rifle too close to the fire (if you had one) and there was a condensation issue.

EDIT: Just re-read ELDiablito's post, and agree 100% with ensuring the breech plug flame channel is absolutely clean. Between shots, if you can't clearly see daylight through the breech plug out the end of the barrel, clean that SOB. In the field and on the range, I always carry an old-school extendable nipple pick like this one. Ram it in there and scrape it around and you're golden.

https://www.scheels.com/p/tradition...tQjsDo-jXRkuCn1XxkaAiHrEALw_wcB&src=hardlines
I have had pretty much the same track record with BH209. I also have left mine loaded on accident during the off-season and it went bang. The nipple cleaner is very good advice

Rich M

WKR
I grew up shooting loose - black, pyrodex, and T7. I was already established when pellets came out. Have never shot pellets.

You’ll see the loads will be consistent however you load and shoot them. Should not be an issue.

Thanks for the advice

Can you explain a little more what you mean by back pressure? As in the pressure the powder and bullet are packed with?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, but yes I think I'm going to make the switch. I'll probably use the Fed 209s if I can find them. The price does suck but I don't shoot enough for it to be that huge of a deal.
Back pressure aka compression is needed for reliable ignition with BH209. Here is the section on compression from the Hodgdon ignition guidelines.

33D00111-37F3-4400-B12F-8E3E57BFC54A.jpeg

OP
CObywayofUSAF

CObywayofUSAF

Lil-Rokslider

Makes sense. I think I'll make the switch and make sure I get some good primers/keep the plug clean. It's worth it to not have to clean it so much and intensely.

Makes sense. I think I'll make the switch and make sure I get some good primers/keep the plug clean. It's worth it to not have to clean it so much and intensely.
T7 is a corrosive #itch. It also gains moisture like heck with temp. changes. Back in the day I even had T7 pellets turn into soup in a loaded barrel. Between that, the fouling, and potential corrosion issues, I vowed never again with that stuff.

When I got a new rifle, I went with the nitride CVA and BH209 intentionally to reduce some of the things about muzzleloading that take some of the enjoyment away.

Back pressure aka compression is needed for reliable ignition with BH209. Here is the section on compression from the Hodgdon ignition guidelines.
With a clean bore, I pour 90 grains of BH and seat my 250 sabot with one push with all my weight. One trick I used to do with pellets was to drop the ramrod on a packed load to check seating. If ithe ramrod bounced off the bullet, you knew you had a good seat. I think I saw that on a Knight rifles video.

Anyways, with the stock on the ground, I push the sabot down until it seats into the loose powder and stops moving. I put all my weight on it and then mark my ramrod at the muzzle with a knife so that I can be certain I have consistent seating with every shot. Its important to note that this mark may change if you change bullets.

OP
CObywayofUSAF

CObywayofUSAF

Lil-Rokslider
With a clean bore, I pour 90 grains of BH and seat my 250 sabot with one push with all my weight. One trick I used to do with pellets was to drop the ramrod on a packed load to check seating. If ithe ramrod bounced off the bullet, you knew you had a good seat. I think I saw that on a Knight rifles video.

Anyways, with the stock on the ground, I push the sabot down until it seats into the loose powder and stops moving. I put all my weight on it and then mark my ramrod at the muzzle with a knife so that I can be certain I have consistent seating with every shot. Its important to note that this mark may change if you change bullets.
That's a good idea, I'm switch to Thor bullets so I'm waiting for the sizing pack to hopefully show up tmrw. I'll keep that in mind.

Stalker69

WKR
I shoot goex in my knight, also. Shoots as good as any of the others I’ve tried. And I shoot my flint lock, percussions more, so I have plenty on hand.